The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-10-2014, 07:51 AM

Default Advice for basic home recording needed

I want to do some solo instrumental acoustic guitar recordings.

I have a Zoom H2. The recording I do sound ok, but I was wondering if it's possible to record 2 channels at once onto a laptop.

1st channel will be the guitar plugged into my K&K preamp and into the mic input of the laptop.

2nd channel will be using the Zoom H2 as a mic into the USB on the laptop.

Both recorded in sterio so I can mix the different channels to get a better sound.

What software would do the job? I'm looking for something quite basic, but with eq, reverb and other things to 'colour' the sound.

Thanks
Old 07-10-2014, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic_Stevo View Post

I have a Zoom H2. The recording I do sound ok, but I was wondering if it's possible to record 2 channels at once onto a laptop.

1st channel will be the guitar plugged into my K&K preamp and into the mic input of the laptop.

Both recorded in sterio so I can mix the different channels to get a better sound.

What software would do the job? I'm looking for something quite basic, but with eq, reverb and other things to 'colour' the sound.

Thanks
Hi A_S…

Yes you can record on computer.

One needs is a simple recording interface, recording software and a pair of microphones (and a way to monitor what you have recorded).

As to mixing the Zoom H2 via USB with an external preamplified recording source, I'm not sure if that can be done the way you propose. That will depend on the capability of your computer to integrate multiple inputs simultaneously (mic and USB).

I'm guessing using and interface and a pair of mics instead of recording off the preamp and the Zoom, you'd end up with a better sounding recording.

You can turn the Zoom into a USB mic, and record in stereo directly to software in the computer. Then you could separately mix the two tracks later (you can do that with the recordings made on the Zoom's SD card as well).

Perhaps others will chime in...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-10-2014, 08:31 AM

Thanks LJ.
I was just trying to use the equipment I've got, but if you think 2 mics would sound better, then maybe I should go down that route.
The recording are just for me. Maybe to share if there's not too many bum notes.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Thanks
?
You want stereo on both sources.
Is your K&K is a dual channel system?
Simultaneous recording via a computer's mike input plus it's usb input is not the normal way and could be a problem (latency differences) if even possible.
Get a usb preamp that has the inputs you need.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-10-2014, 09:12 AM

Thanks Rick.
The preamp is very basic. It's the small K&K Pure Preamp than clips onto your belt.
I think I'm going to have to spend some money to get this project off the ground.
The idea is to make some recordings and put them on a cd for my mam and dad. They bought me my first guitar, and always encouraged me. That was almost 30 years ago.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Thanks Rick.
The preamp is very basic. It's the small K&K Pure Preamp than clips onto your belt.
I think I'm going to have to spend some money to get this project off the ground.
The idea is to make some recordings and put them on a cd for my mam and dad. They bought me my first guitar, and always encouraged me. That was almost 30 years ago.
Stevo.....

You don't have to spend lots of money to get started but, be warned, it becomes yet another addiction.

You'll definitely need an interface. Avoid recording via direct to USB or the Mic/Line In of your PC at all costs. You'll only frustrate yourself. Check out the local Craigslist or eBay. I bought my first one from Craigslist for $15 and used it for a couple of years.

I scored a budget condenser mic from eBay for another $50 and already owned several mics, stands and associated hardware.

For software, there are a few choices available. Reaper seems to be a popular one however, after looking at several trial packages, I chose to go with Mixcraft 5 and have since upgraded to Mixcraft.

It's very easy to use and you can get recording pretty quickly.

Guitar Center also used to provide free "intro to recording" classes that could shorten the learning curve for you.

Once you get your feet wet, you can determine the proper upgrade path for your needs but, to start with, don't go overboard.

Good luck and happy recording!
Epiphone IBG J45
Yamaha FS800
Guild Pilot Bass
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior Bass
Recording King Dirty 30's Mando
Frankensquier P Bass
Squier Bullet Telecaster
Old 07-10-2014, 10:21 AM

Thanks for all the useful information.
The Zoom H2 is a nice little gadget, but I now realise its time to upgrade to get a more 'professional' sound (although I know it's never going to sound like the CDs I listen to at home).
Old 07-10-2014, 02:26 PM

Default what if i'd rather not use my computer

(later in the day, 9pm) BTW, is this considered "hijacking" or is it participating in the topic? Don't want to be rude. Sorry if i was.

my computer cost $250 at best buy. lowest price i've ever seen for Toshiba laptop. works fine for the basic stuff, but kind of a clunker overall. Besides, i'm sick of computers. i work with them all day and notwithstanding their incredible utility, it's definitely a hate-love thing.

What I want right now is to be able to record backing tracks that i can play while developing simple leads. Then it'd be nice to record the leads over the backing tracks.

All i have right now is a Tascam DR-08 handheld. Really basic--bought it for my wife 4-5 years ago to record some of her class lectures. been in a drawer mostly lately.

so is there something out there that isn't priced like platinum for my simple needs and will I have to buy an amp too.

BTW, my guitar right now is a Taylor 712CE with, I believe the ES2. I've trying to record using the tiny mics on the DR-08 but can't get much volume. That's probably operator error though

down to a Recorder and a Harmonica

Last edited by Ricker; 07-10-2014 at 10:32 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:05 PM

My "Simple Homestyle Recording" page might give you some ideas:

http://www.bluestemstrings.com/pageRecording1.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD