The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-19-2011, 09:24 AM

Default Martin 7 28

Was hoping someone may be able to discuss a Martin "7 28". All I have been able to glean is that 200 +/- were made. They are basically a 7/8 size Indian D-28. Would be very interested to lean more. Thanks.

Collings CW Indian A
Collings D1Herringbone A
Martin HD-28
Gipson J-50
Old 12-19-2011, 10:12 AM

There was a thread recently where someone was looking for a small , short scale guitar and custom ordered a new 7-28. Be the first they've built since '81 as I recall. In that thread, the story was that the model was intended for the Asian market as a failed accommodation to their smaller stature, didn't work. Used ones are rare but you do see them pretty regularly. Maybe the custom order will spur them to reintroduce the line.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:33 AM

You have double posted this...see my answer in the other post
Old 12-19-2011, 10:41 AM

Thanks. I know of one and have a serious interest in it. Just not much info out there on those little guitars. Appreciate your response.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Willey View Post
Thanks. I know of one and have a serious interest in it. Just not much info out there on those little guitars. Appreciate your response.
Sam,
What would you like to know about them?
Old 12-19-2011, 10:59 AM

Suppose it would depend greatly on the condition, production year etc. But in general terms what one would be worth. Plus I had some sketchy information that they tended to have neck issues. This particular guitar is prolly early 1980s, very little play.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:14 AM

These guitars do not have adjustable truss rods and therefore the necks tend to have problems (which aren't cheap to repair.) The used ones I have seen were all selling in the $2,500 neighborhood. However, you can have a new one made at the custom shop (with an adjustable truss rod) for roughly the same price (if you don't make any changes.) To me, the new one was a no-brainer but if you can get the one you are interested in for closer to $1,500, then you could afford to repair it if needed. If you can get the one you are looking at for less than $1,500.......Grab it!
Old 12-19-2011, 11:32 AM

Thanks Willie. Sure you will enjoy your new guitar when it comes in!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion