The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-07-2016, 08:15 AM

Default Compressor pedal on an acoustic-electric for a live gig?

So, I have some basic Behringer compressor/limiter pedal, and I was wondering do any of you guys have experience with using compressor in a live gig? (it's a duo band, guitar + vocals). I've never really got to learn compressor benefits, and personally never used it (not even in a home recording or for electric guitar). I played around a bit with it today and my conclusion is:

1) It's actually not bad for strumming, especially when you're using full force, it does make the strumming more "pleasant" to the ears

2) It kills the dynamics and "scope" of arpeggios of my Yamaha CPX guitar, and the only benefit is a bit more longer sustain in solos.

What do you think?
Old 03-07-2016, 08:53 AM

You obviously know the function of a compressor.
For me and most people I know who use them, compressors are a love/hate proposition. I use mild compression on my acoustic with the Fishman Platinum Pro Stage D.I. just to even out the peaks when strumming but that's about it.
I also use a Moen Uni-Comp for my Strat and Tele from time to time.
It's an inexpensive, highly-rated optical compressor that gives me some punch and thickness for certain types of music like country or funk.

Outside of that, I could certainly do without compression and I probably wouldn't miss it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification