The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-19-2013, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Default Outdoor Ukulele - Handmade Plastic Uke!

Hi Guys,

I wanted to share some photos of my new Outdoor Ukulele. These are handmade ukes made here in the USA. His shop is in Bend Oregon. His website is www.outdoorukulele.com

I first found out about these ukuleles as I was looking for an instrument to keep with me at all times - even if it meant leaving it in the car. (my daily driver is a 74' Volkswagen) My research brought me to Scott and his unique soprano ukes. Although handmade in the USA they're only $100. Yep, 100 bucks. We both share a love for classic trucks too and although he drives a 1950 Chevy and I drive a 1955 Ford, we were able to work past that. His design is really cool and a few pieces of molded composite polycarbonate. Another interesting feature is the flat back of the neck. It's surprisingly comfortable and frankly feels great.

I just got mine today so I'll a lot more info to share but I'm already impressed and can't wait to travel around with it!

Here are some photos of it.

One of my Ford

One on my VW

Here's a comparison of shape next to my soprano Martin uke...

Sound clips coming soon! Again his website is www.outdoorukulele.com

Kindly,
Danny
Old 06-24-2013, 12:31 PM

Your positive review means to me that it's a $100 instrument that plays well -- which is encouraging.

I must say I'm not a big fan of matte black but I see potential for funky colours (at least for my own purposes). Using the same approach, I wouldn't mind paying a bit more for a fancy paint job.

Now, your car collection, that's something else! Wow!
Old 06-25-2013, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, Mau. Glad you've got a good eye for classic cars

That's a good idea for custom colors, I can see that working well. The intonation is spot on and it plays really great. I wanted something I could take outside all the time - with my kids, in my car, in our travels, etc and feel safe that it's going to be OK. At this price point, it plays and sounds good, plus that they're hand made in Oregon - it's a win-win.

I've been doing a monthly uke gig for a few years now, ever since I bought my Laurie Williams tenor (which is just awe inspiring - it's really remarkable) and I've since enjoyed playing ukulele a lot. This little soprano Outdoor Uke will fill it's purpose nicely!

Kindly,
Danny

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop