The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-30-2012, 02:48 PM

Default Why My First Custom Guitar Is A Bamburg.

My Bamburg was custom made for sure, just not for me. Some other guy, I figure, dumb enough to let it go. I didn’t go to the guitar show looking for another acoustic...two vintage Gibbys (a ‘36 L-00 and ‘51 Southern Jumbo) should be enough to keep a guy happy, right? But then, sticking out from the forest of head stocks, I see something worth a second look. Must have been the snakehead shape, or maybe the lack of a maker’s name. Up close, I’m liking the details; mini-jumbo size, all wood binding and a canti-levered fingerboard (side position markers only) hovered over the top. Build quality saying luthier, not assembly line. But it really needs to be about the sound, right? More on that later.

Move on to present time, having just received my new/old Bamburg back from Jeff’s shop. The guitar, built in 2007, had seen some use and abuse. Some pretty savage top pick marks had been administered (courtesy of a Colorado jam band), plus the addition of a pickup, which Jeff remarked succinctly, did the guitar no favors. Big ole ugly knobs sticking out of the top bout. Jeff and I talked about reversing the pickup install, so off it went. I had also noted that his newer guitars were equipped with Gotoh 510 tuners with ebony buttons, very swank. I couldn’t just change them out straight because screw holes didn’t align...rats. But then, Jeff offered up a nifty solution...the application of a rosewood veneer on the back to match the body wood. Hide old holes, add a cool appointment. Hell yeah.

I worried about how to close the up control knob and end pin jack holes. End jack was easier...an ebony plug with an ebony pin did the trick. After discussing all my weird options for the upper bout holes, Jeff went ahead and custom matched the rosewood in color and grain with plugs that are almost undetectable. Yeah, they are there, but you really have to be looking for them. Only a great luthier can make the very difficult seem like the only way to go. Jeff wanted me to be able to adjust the saddle to my height, so he grafted on a piece of ebony to the bottom of the bone for good wood-to-wood contact, allowing me to sand down as needed. The cost of this custom service...was it fair? Frankly, no. What he charged was criminal...to the low side. He seemed much more concerned about returning one of his early guitars to what it needed to be again. Remember this piece had been through many hands before hitting mine, and still, he wanted to do what honored the guitar. Art over commerce...some builders are just made like that.

O.K., he’s a good enough guy, and does pretty work. So how does it sound? For one thing (and sadly), it’s been keeping those vintage guitars in their cases. All the time. I didn’t know I favored a small jumbo until now, but I do. This one is greatly balanced when playing fingerstyle, yet robust enough to handle the strum. Must be the fact that it was built as a double top, which appeals to the architect in me, both in theory and in practice. Sustains like a mother. The best acoustic I’ve had the pleasure of playing; sweet, complex, showing something new every time I pick it up to play. For your consideration, just listen to some clips recorded on the Dream Guitars site by guys who really can play. Bamburg guitars sound as fine as they look, and I strongly suggest you make one your next. In my humble opinion, this guy is going nowhere but up.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:09 PM

Jeff lives just over the hill from me and has been kind enough to take on some of my routine repair work. It's been great getting to know him and his work is just phenominal. I get to his shop and an hour of talking will fly by and I'll find I have to turn to the repair needs that I came for. He is a really great guy and I can't believe there is such a fine luthier in my neck of the woods. Check out his site & his offerings at Dream Guitars. Order a guitar while you're there...
Old 01-05-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architar View Post
Sustains like a mother.
interesting simile ...
Old 01-07-2013, 10:22 PM

Uniintended, but fitting none the less.

Wondering if there are any other Bamburg owners on the forum. Don't have a sense as to how many there might be. Interested in chatting.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:27 AM

.....and you are just about to post some pictures, right?

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 01-09-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
.....and you are just about to post some pictures, right?
d i t t o !

The only thing nescessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing
Old 01-11-2013, 09:36 PM

Gentlemen, forgive my impertinence, but I am recovering from a Tuesday slap down of epic proportion (real word wise). It's a work thing, that otherswise keeps me from the important things in life (stringed things). Perhas you can relate. More soon.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:43 AM

Hi Architar!
I'm also looking to adding a Bamburg to my collection. I have had the pleasure of meeting Jeff in person and visiting his shop for the first time in May. I have to tell you, his guitars are stunning and you can see the love of his craft in his detail to get it right and to get that unique "Bamburg" sound you spoke of.He definitely has a vision to set his guitars apart in build quality and sound and I agree with you that he is well on his way to becoming one of the nations top builders.
I'm hoping to make that new special Cocobolo he has pictured on this site and that is slated for the big guitar show in August, have a detour to reside in my collection.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop