The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-24-2006, 03:09 PM

My parents gave me a cherry red ES 335 the year before I graduated from high school - 1961. That would make it a 1959 or 1960 model. Played it in a rock band throughout college, then had to sell it after I got married to pay for diapers and food. Just saw a 1958 model listed on eBay for more than twice what I paid for my first house. Needless to say, wish I had that baby now!
Old 10-29-2006, 12:40 PM

Can someone pm me with a good price on a new 335 and where I could go looking. What can I expect to pay? I'd like sunburst.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:04 PM

Of course there's also the ES 137. Here's mine in
Blueburst
Old 10-29-2006, 06:00 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Very pretty! I like the gold hardware and LP crown inlays, and that's some gorgeous quilt!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-31-2006, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

I really like the 137 Custom with the Varitone, but I recently got a Hofner Verythin Classic for a lot less money than the cheapest Gibson 335 model, (the satin), and with the 1.75" nut width, it's an acoustic guitar player's perfect electric guitar.

Old 10-31-2006, 06:43 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I went out sampling last night. One local store had three. The blonde had been on the wall for years. Not a good sign. The sunburst was bright and hard sounding. The red was was the sweetest sounding electric guitar I had ever played. Mmmm...

Bob

Old 10-31-2006, 06:53 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Oh, and by the way, no better way to look overweight than play a CS-336... The incredible shrinking 335...

Bob

Old 10-31-2006, 07:17 PM

I eased my 335 itch with a Heritage 535. I had the chance to really play through a bunch of them at Jay Wolfe Guitars in Jupiter, Florida. I finally settled on an Almond burst with Seth Lover pickups - fairly low-output with sweet tone. I am very happy with my choice. I also picked up an Epiphone Sheraton II, which my son now plays. A very good guitar for a very good price.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:31 PM

Default The Clapton Guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyc007 View Post
I believe you are correct. The fretboard enlays give it away!

ES-355:

ES-335:
Well, I think the guitar Clapton is playing in the picture is a mid 60's ES 335 Block. Yes, the 355 has these blocks but look at the headstock - it does not have the binding and fancy diamond inlays that a 355 does. I had a 1962 355 for a long time (20 years) but due to the crazy prices people pay for them now, I decided to sell it and bought my 335 and paid off one of my toys on 4 wheels.

Anyway, the 335 is the guitar I take when it absolutely, positively only can be 1 electric. It is versatile and can really scream. I love "Red"

Guitars:
2004 Taylor 910 L7 "Cowboy", 1998 Martin D42 "McFly", 1997 Takamine NP25c "Tojo", 1995 Fender American Strat "Killer", 1995 Ibanez Bob Weir Reissue "Scarlet" (For Sale), 1981 Gibson ES 335 "Red", 1998 G&L S 500 "Leo",
Old 11-07-2006, 06:47 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
I play acoustic almost exclusively, but when I began the hunt for an electric that could do just about anything this baby dropped into my lap.
...added a Bigsby
...and I now have one mean jazz/rock/rockabilly/country axe.
It's not a "real" 335 (it's a '77 Electra "Elvin Bishop" MIJ) but it plays like a dream and sounds fine.
Pretty looking axe. I saw Elvin in Chattanooga, TN, in '76 with Johnny "V" Vernazza and Mickey Thomas during his Capricorn "Travellin' Shoes - Fooled Around and Fell in Love" tour, opening for Marshall Tucker. They BLEW Marshall Tucker off the silly stage. A funny story: Elvin broke a string in the middle of a song on his (I think) ES345. He kept singing, unstrapped the guitar, and casually tossed it backwards over the stack of amps. A hand shot up from behind the backline and caught it, right about as the gasp escaped my mouth. A verse later, without really looking back, Elvin stuck out his hand and the guitar magically flew back into it, restrung. Without missing a beat, he continued to sing, strapped it on, and picked right up with his playing.

To this day, I can't figure out how they did it.

Bob

Old 11-07-2006, 07:24 AM

For the neo-classicals among us...

Yamaha AEX1500 (not an actual pic of mine)

And the Godin Flat Five (not mine either)

Both are great guitars with incredible versatility. The Flat Five has a five position switch to get single coil tones from each position. The AEX has a piezo under the bone saddle that can be blended with the floating humbucker to taste. Of course, either pickup can be isolated and run full-on, too. They look dang nice, but they play even better...

Larrivee LV-09BW
Gibson J-15
Martin Custom D Rosewood
Eastman E10SS
Washburn Solo DeLuxe RSG100
Enya X4 Pro Carbon Fiber
Guild Aristocrat M-75
Reverend Jetstream FM-HB
Ibanez AS103
Ibanez AFJ95
Songbird Warbler Hammered Dulcimer
Old 11-07-2006, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

I bought a 333 a few months ago and love it - it's a tri-burst. Sweet, sweet guitar....

stuff

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.
Jim Morrison
Old 11-10-2006, 12:18 AM

Where I lived from '63-'67[Kokomo, Ind], the guitar all us youngsters wanted was a cherry red ES-335 with Bigsby. A local player or two had 'em and they sounded great; seemed versatile for rock, blues, country, Chet-style, you-name-it. in '65 [when I could talk my parents into helping me] I went with an Epiphone E230-TD like Lennon's. That guitar was a good one [though a different beast from 335], but after I switched to Fenders for a good while the unused Epi was sold.

As time passes [am 55 now] and most of my time is spent on acoustic guitar, I've pared down my electric guitars to two "keepers", one of which is the '60 PAF dot-neck SB 335 I've had for 14 or 15 years. Grateful to have acquired it when I did, couldn't afford one now at the crazy prices they bring.

Have looked carefully at the 137 model, under the "if I ever regularly gigged on electric again" excuse. My old 335's a full-service guitar, is played plenty; if the need for a "workhorse" arose I'd be inclined to get a 137, mess with pickup options & get it as close to the 335's sound as I could. The classic Gibson sunburst would be fine, and I'd want the model without the varitone. Everyone I've ever known who had a varitone-equipped 345/355 disconnected it from the circuit, left the knob & bezel just to fill the hole. My $.02.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:19 PM

I spent about two hours last night alternating between playing a ES-335 and an ES-175. Both guitars are wonderful. Oh, I love the sound of that 175 with the flat wounds. I'm not a jazz player (acoustic player almost exclusively), but that 175 sure was fun.

I am likely to buy either a:
ES 137 Custom (one is coming into my GC in a week)
ES 335 tobacco sunburst
ES 175 (maybe the Steve Howe sig model)

Can anyone advise me? I know the 175 would not be very versatile, but...man it played sweet.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:32 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Here's a heads-up: The ES335 and ES137 both are semi-hollow, meaning that they have a block of wood under the center of the top, below the pickups, that helps reduce feedback. The ES175 is a purely hollow archtop. All control of feedback will be up to position and distance from the amp.

That said, I'd like one of each.

Bob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars