The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-27-2017, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Default Pickup options for a Rainsong Hybrid dread?

I'm in no huge hurry, but eventually I'll want to add a pickup. I'm going to be playing through a Fishman Loudbox Mini. Any recommendations for a good pickup to install?

I'm thinking a K&K Pure Mini might fit the bill, or a Fishman. Right now, I plan to use my Boss VE8 Acoustic Singer pedal with it.

Thoughts and/or recommendations?
Old 11-27-2017, 01:21 PM

Many don't like the barn door, but my WS-1000 from 2001 still has the Fishman Blender system on board. That is the single best sounding pickup that I have ever heard coming back through stage monitors, especially when biased toward the on-board microphone.

I don't gig any more, and mostly have used whatever came in the guitar. I'm not up on the latest and greatest electronics.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:46 PM

I had a K&K put in my Shorty.

The K&K works great in CF guitars as long as you don't mind the shortcomings and trade-offs of a passive system.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 11-27-2017, 09:50 PM

I would love to play around with soundboard transducers on my Rainsongs, but both of mine have barndoor preamp systems. I love the Schatten HFN pickup, maybe one of these days I'll install one and compare tones.

Any undersaddle pickup would be a breeze to install, like a Fishman Matrix or LR Baggs Element. Just lift the saddle, install, and shave the saddle to compensate, the same process as on a wood guitar.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

I'm leaning toward the Fishman Matrix system like I have in my D35. It's a good pickup for not too much money. I like the volume and tone controls. But the K&k also looks interesting.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:43 PM

LR Baggs Anthem full version. Got lots of room inside that Dread to fit the full version.

I love K&K but then you need a decent preamp for tone shaping and also some of the impedance issues that it has. The preamp in the Baggs system sounds good and makes life a lot simpler for "plug and play". Having a phase button at your fingertips is nice when setting up on stage. Having the ability to adjust the mix is also nice live if you suddenly get some stage volume issues. The only annoying thing is getting to the battery pouch. You'd have to take off the strings to get at it. Or install a battery access door somewhere. People seem to do that near the endpin so it's out of the way.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber