The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-05-2017, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

Default Toby Walker lesson thread...

Anyone working on one of Toby's lessons? I started working on Cincinnatti Flow Rag (just starting page 2, page 1 in slow motion). I'm still working on a few other things but I have a lot of Toby's lessons (and a couple DVDs) and they are just begging to be worked on.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:38 PM

I do a version of Cincinnati Flow Rag which borrows liberally from his version that he did on Mississippi John Hurt's guitar, which I stumbled across on youtube a while back. So not exactly his lesson, but definitely "inspired by".
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 01-07-2017, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

I've played a little bit lately with his "Licks-ercises" DVD. I've enjoyed it. I've always enjoyed noodling and doing exercises, so it seems natural to me. His DVDs are good, thorough and fun.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
I've played a little bit lately with his "Licks-ercises" DVD. I've enjoyed it. I've always enjoyed noodling and doing exercises, so it seems natural to me. His DVDs are good, thorough and fun.
I have that and his two DVD set of Fingerpicking Freedom. This stuff is great, the only problem I have is that I start going off on tangents experimenting with the stuff on on DVD that I forget about the DVD! So, obviously I have to sit myself down and force myself to go through them all to the end!

There is so much you can do with different inversions and finger picking patterns that its incredible.

My SoundCloud page

Old 01-07-2017, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
There is so much you can do with different inversions and finger picking patterns that its incredible.
Ain't that the truth?! And Toby is very good at encouraging variety... different fingerings, different voicings.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Ain't that the truth?! And Toby is very good at encouraging variety... different fingerings, different voicings.
Finally saw this one. Thanks.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

I'm working on Toby's beginner fingerpicking program. The first 4 bars of Oh Susanna has been like pulling teeth. The next four bars just seems to roll along. Right now it's slow and smooth. More work on it tomorrow.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Cincinatti is on the back burner but still on the a-list. It's a little too quick for me and long, but I'll keep working on it. One Dime Blues from the E pack has my attention now and its fun. I have the 1st verse pretty good, for some reason when I go to the little "lead" section I blow it. Just needs a couple more good days of practice. This song is a keeper, one I'll keep playing over time.

My SoundCloud page

Old 05-19-2017, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I'm working on Toby's beginner fingerpicking program. The first 4 bars of Oh Susanna has been like pulling teeth. The next four bars just seems to roll along. Right now it's slow and smooth. More work on it tomorrow.
Hi lowrider,

As I think I may have mentioned in another thread, Toby's arrangement of this tune is deceptively difficult for a newbie fingerpicker. I've been thrashing away on it for a couple of weeks, and it is just now sounding better than a bunch of cats beating on garbage cans. Stick with it, there is a lot to be learned by getting this under your fingers!
Old 05-20-2017, 04:30 AM

Quote:
I have that and his two DVD set of Fingerpicking Freedom. This stuff is great, the only problem I have is that I start going off on tangents experimenting with the stuff on on DVD that I forget about the DVD! .
Like you, Barry, I also find myself going off on tangents with Toby's lessons. I have reached many plateaus where I know what technique or sound I want to achieve, can see it in his tab, and listen to it being demo'ed, but can't get there at the moment. Then, life gets in the way and that initial drive to get off the plateau has been lost.

Toby's lessons are a distillation of weekend or week-long workshop. There's no way that the average joe can master the material in a short time. And really, to grok the whole thing might take a year or more. I've said it before: if you can find a way to do a live workshop with Toby, you will be amazed at the progress you will make because the lesson will truly be tailor made for you and your playing level.

"Blues Fingerpicking Freedom 1 and 2" still top my list of favorite lessons; "Band in the Hand 1 and 2" a very close second (if not equal). "Bringing Out the Bounce" is also on my top list as is "Fingerpicking Hank Williams". But this is just me. Every lesson that Toby has written has a little something that you can incorporate into your own style. When you hear Toby perform, you will quickly realize that every song he performs also has something a little different: Toby uses his extensive toolkit well. And, because the toolkit is so extensive, it can be daunting to the beginning or intermediate player.

But, gradually, I have accumulated a few of his tools. I went back into "Blues Fingerpicking Freedom" last night to play around with G6 tuning and it was like I had just unlocked another level in a video game... when did that happen?

So Lowrider, keep plugging away and keep trying to imitate that sound (remember, it's not the technique you use, it's the resulting sound you are looking for). With luck, sometime soon your ears will change and you'll really hear the music in a totally different way. When that transformation happens, the world is your oyster.

Best,

Rick

Last edited by srick; 05-20-2017 at 05:36 AM.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

I keep forgetting about Toby's DVD finger picking freedom set as I have so many tabs.. The Band In The Hand is a great review of the makings of blues tunes. I have 15ish songs on my "set list" that I am either reviewing or learning. I should work these into my practice routine somehow also. Maybe once I get all the songs on my list in the "review" stage (this means recorded, and at least half way decent enough to be posted on soundcloud) I'll put them in my routine again.

My SoundCloud page

Old 05-20-2017, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

By the way, I'll be putting together a new series of lessons aimed at the beginning/intermediate player, tentatively named:

Basic Delta Fingerpicking.
Basic Texas Fingerpicking.
Basic Piedmont Fingerpicking.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
By the way, I'll be putting together a new series of lessons aimed at the beginning/intermediate player, tentatively named:

Basic Delta Fingerpicking.
Basic Texas Fingerpicking.
Basic Piedmont Fingerpicking.
Looks interesting Toby. Are you going to pick up these topics later as "Delta Finger picking and Beyond" or something like that to extend the series into the intermediate/advanced area?

The beginner/intermediate is fine for me to start with. I can play in the intermediate/advanced areas sometimes, but my theory is definitely Crayola all the way.

My SoundCloud page

Old 05-21-2017, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Here's where I am with "One Dime Blues." I want to get my speed and endurance up a bit. I can play along with Toby in the video, but I get tired and start to mess up by the end of the song. More work is needed, but I'll get it. The second part, even though its just a couple of intervals is killing me, lol, I can do it at 3/4 of tempo though. It'll just take a little longer. I practice this whole song at 1/4 time which really helps with getting clarity from each note.

In the meantime I can practice my recording quality. I'm going to try backing up from the desk and doing just one microphone pointed at the 12th fret and see how that works. I think sitting facing the corner desk I'm getting too much reflection and room from the walls.

One Dime Blues is included in Toby's E-Pack lesson group.

My SoundCloud page

Old 05-21-2017, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Looks interesting Toby. Are you going to pick up these topics later as "Delta Finger picking and Beyond" or something like that to extend the series into the intermediate/advanced area?

The beginner/intermediate is fine for me to start with. I can play in the intermediate/advanced areas sometimes, but my theory is definitely Crayola all the way.
I may. I've been seeing more of a demand for lessons at the beginning/intermediate level, which is why I'll be working on this series. The 'Packs' - C, A, G, E, and D are at the intermediate/advanced level, which could be considered a step up.

I will be coming out with Pack Extensions as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write