The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-04-2016, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Default A question for Evan...

Apologies in advance for showing my ignorance. I have been playing for a lot of years, but always steel string. For the first 20 years or so, a rock 'n roller; later discovered my acoustic side (and not having the issues involved with being part of a band).

A few years ago, I bought a ukulele. I messed around with it a bit, but most often, I play plugged in. No pickup in the uke, so it is more decor these days.

I'm not one to wander through guitar shops to play stuff I have no interest in buying. I recall trying a nylon guitar years ago, but it didn't have the "zing" of the steel string guitars.

Having read your posts here, it makes me wonder: what is it about nylon that excites your passion? The playability? The sound?

Not being a smart alec here, just wondering about the appeal... maybe I should add one? Maybe it's like the Harley t-shirt (yeah, I have had a lot of Harleys over the years): "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand."

I saw on the main forum, someone make a reference to ageing, guitar playing, and maybe switching to nylon. Is that a thing? I like making music, but I am certainly not an expert on all-things-guitar. Certainly open, however - the appeal of carbon fiber shows that.

So, tell us about your nylon journey.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:20 PM

I had an NS34ce for about ten years. I would play it once in a while, because there was something about that mellow tone that always appealed. And it is much easier to play than a steel string. It was nice to have the alternative if my left hand was stiff or achey for any reason. I would also use it on occasion when learning a new finger style piece, playing the same thing over and over. That was much easier on the callouses.

3-1/2 years ago I had a neuro event that affected my ability to play (and the rest my left side). The ukulele started me back, then the nylon string guitar was "instrumental" in my rehab and the ability to play again today. Last year it moved on to a new owner that mostly plays classical but wanted a crossover with electronics. She is very happy with it. Sometimes I wonder if maybe I should have kept it.

I've only ever played one Blackbird Rider and that was a steel string. It sounded so much bigger and fuller than it should have, so a nylon version should be pretty nice. Having never played a CF nylon string, I'm interested in hearing Evan's response too.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:25 AM
Guest 928

Before I started playing guitar I went to a performance by Montoya. And then I ran across Segovia; I bought a guitar. I will never play their type of music or to their level, but they did move me to nylon.

Subsequently I tried a variety of guitars and other instruments, but kept coming back to nylon. I started with simple American folk songs and ended up writing my own simple folk songs. Somewhere along the line I heard Chet Atkins and started working with electric guitars.

Nylon string guitars became my instrument of choice for a number of reasons beyond my early influences. I do not have a powerful voice and I found that with steel string instruments I tended to get overly enthusiastic and eat my vocals. I also discovered that I am really fond of the tonal qualities of nylon. And I like the way I can bend the heck out of a nylon string. And I think I'm somewhat enamored of the sensuality of nylon--they feel so good, supple, and smooth.

Eight or nine years ago I went on a 5 year search for my ideal nylon string guitar and I cruised though 40-some wooden instruments. And then, quite by accident, ran across a Cargo--I could hardly believe what came out of that little instrument. That began my search for a CF nylon string guitar.

I do not think that any CF guitar has yet matched the tonal and projection qualities of a good classical wooden guitar. Five hundred years of development are not going to be matched in the short time of development for CF guitars; but CF is catching up, fast.

The the Blackbird Rider and Super OM, the Emerald nylons, and the Rainsong Parlor are close to matching classical excellence in wood tone and projection. When you factor in a cut-a-way, slim neck design, and electronics the CF products, in my estimate, equal or best the wooden nylon string instruments with cut-a-ways, slim necks, and electronics.

Pardon my long-windedness here, but you asked.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Thanks! Didn't seem long-winded at all. When we get off this island, I'll have to re-visit nylon. I appreciate your perspective.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

I too, of late, have began a search for the right nylon string guitar.
I love the sound of nylon with the types of songs I like to play.

I found a double CD years ago, can't remember where, but its wonderful.

Afternoon in Madrid (Lifescapes). One CD is on the faster more spicey Flamenco edge, the other more resonant, reflective. I play both based on if I'm quiet feeling or more combusting.

Artists on these albums are:
Asche & Spencer
Wayne Jones
Amy Hayashi-Jones(amazing)
Dan Schwartz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber