The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-11-2012, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 690MBCOMMANDO View Post
How do you like the OD3R? I was eyeing this amp
I like it plenty, but I'm still getting to know it. I've found EL84 amps have gotten to be a little too spiky for me, and the tone from the 6L6 tubes in this is much more balanced. It can use 6V6 tubes as well with no biasing, which takes it down to 18 watts or so. Three channels plus a lead channel make it fairly versatile. I also need the master volume as I live in an apartment and can only really let it loose when I take it to a campus music room at the college where I teach (political science).

I own a guitar.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjthePhD View Post
I like it plenty, but I'm still getting to know it. I've found EL84 amps have gotten to be a little too spiky for me, and the tone from the 6L6 tubes in this is much more balanced. It can use 6V6 tubes as well with no biasing, which takes it down to 18 watts or so. Three channels plus a lead channel make it fairly versatile. I also need the master volume as I live in an apartment and can only really let it loose when I take it to a campus music room at the college where I teach (political science).
Did you ever try it compared to the Trip-R?
Old 10-14-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 690MBCOMMANDO View Post
Did you ever try it compared to the Trip-R?
Here on the frozen Northern Plains, we don't get many opportunities to test drive gear like this. I go with the recommendations that the guy that I buy amps from tells me. I was looking for something with more tonal versatility than the amp I had was offering, and he made this call - for which I am very happy.

His name is Chris Staton, and he runs The Amp House (in Alabama). He plays all of the amps in the shop so he knows of what he speaks. If you give him a call he will give you a very honest answer - he doesn't push for a sell. Great selection of boutique amps, great service (along with free and very fast shipping), he is one class act. Tell him Tom Johnson from North Dakota referred you, I'm a good customer.

I own a guitar.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:03 AM

This is mine as it stands and just need to add a Hall of Fame Reverb and a Corona Chorus then I'm done.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Simon & Patrick Woodland Parlor Pro (Spruce Top, Mohogany Back and Sides) with KK Pure Mini, Powered by a KK Pure XLR Pre Amp
Oscar Schmidt OC9 (Classical)
Old 10-18-2012, 07:13 AM

Here's my current setup:

(not pictured: Morley Volume Plus)

For some very simple demos of original music: https://soundcloud.com/rick-langdon

-- Play on!!
Old 10-21-2012, 10:43 AM

Here's my pedal board. Not a very good picture....but the Wah pedal has been modified with a custom inductor and a tru bypass switch. The DS1 has the Keeley all seeing eye mod done to it and the tube screamer is an older one. The pedals on the top are the Boss DD3 digital delay, a super chorus, a flanger and a boss tuner pedal. Works well and gives me lots of options. I usually play a strat or a tele into a hot rodded Blues Junior or a Traynor YCV40.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:13 AM

This covers all my guitars.
1950s/60s Baritone Ukelele K&K
2020 Fender Limited Edition Jazzmaster Pure Vintage
'65 Pickups, & Series/Parallel 4-Way
Fender Supersonic 22" combo

JBL EON ONE Pro
Yamaha DXR speakers

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars