The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-22-2012, 09:33 PM

Default PRS - I think I Made a Big Mistake ...

... I played a PRS today ...

it was really nice ... I had avoided these in the shops thinking they were too pricey ... probably should have continued that stance ... now the gears are turning to determine how I could possibly acquire such a guitar ... talk me down! ...

For some very simple demos of original music: https://soundcloud.com/rick-langdon

-- Play on!!
Old 08-22-2012, 09:42 PM

what model did you play?

this is what I would love to own some day. I play on a worship team and this would be nice in a live situation!
p22 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3rVV_Kr7AU
Old 08-22-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeasam View Post
what model did you play?
Custom 22 with bird inlays

For some very simple demos of original music: https://soundcloud.com/rick-langdon

-- Play on!!
Old 08-22-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
NICE! yes they are very nice playing and feeling guitars!
Old 08-22-2012, 10:04 PM

OK, here's my best shot.

Yes, they are very nice guitars. I'm just not entirely sure they're $2k better than their Korean made SE line, which I've come to like very much. True, the tuners might be swapped out, you might experiment with changing out the pickups....but, hey, those are minor really.

I started with the Semi-hollow, which you can find used for under $500...and it's really been a fun guitar. Later, I added a Custom 22, more to do all of the noted customization...I might even recarve the wide-fat neck into something a little slimmer....but, who cares? I only paid $300 for that one.

So, also...no birds. Oh no. So, no carved top...Oh no. Still screamin' deals though. That's all I've got. Your ball.

'98 Martin HD-28VR, '98 Bourgeois Martin Simpson European, '98 Collings CJmha

Last edited by el_kabong; 08-23-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:08 AM

There's quite a few nice used PRS guitars out there these days. If I didn't already have a bunch of them I'd be seriously tempted to grab one.

The 22 fret models are my favorite--I like the sound of the neck pu better.
The semi-hollow option is nice if you can find one...
Old 08-23-2012, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_kabong View Post
I'm just not entirely sure they're $2k better than their Korean made SE line, which I've come to like very much.
Well, I am. I think the SE line are great, great guitars for the money; there's no doubt about that. However, the USA guitars are in a different league IMHO, and well worth the extra outlay if you can get one. They are extremely good value used.

I bought my first PRS in 1989 (a 1987 vintage yellow CU24). At the time, they just buried the competition. They were the only guitar that had a non-locking trem that worked and sat in a very appealing place, right between a strat and a Gibbo. Since then, they've moved more towards the Gibson end of the spectrum.

I've had loads of them and all have been very, very good guitars. An amazingly consistent builder - far more so than any other electrics I've used with the exception of Musicman and Shur. Since my "move" to acoustic I've sold them all bar one - a 1990 Signature, which I'll have 'til I die.

A pal of mine was set on buying a USA Les Paul last year. Off we went: he tried loads of Gibsons, then a PRS. He left the shop with the PRS, which was also a fair bit cheaper than the Les paul. Nuff Said.

Sorry - hardly the way to "talk me down".

Cheers,
Steve
Old 08-23-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post

Cheers,
Steve
Yeah, I know but thanks for the knowledge and comments ... I may just have to "jump" ...

-- Play on!!
Old 08-23-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
... I played a PRS today ...

it was really nice ... I had avoided these in the shops thinking they were too pricey ... probably should have continued that stance ... now the gears are turning to determine how I could possibly acquire such a guitar ... talk me down! ...
Talk you down??? I think you should sell your first born child and buy two of them!!! Don't know what first borns are worth these days though...
Old 08-23-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytone View Post
Talk you down??? I think you should sell your first born child and buy two of them!!! Don't know what first borns are worth these days though...
How 'bout a 3rd born? He's still at home so I can catch him.

Seriously tho, I am thinking of working up a trade for the one I played yesterday.

-- Play on!!
Old 08-23-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
the USA guitars are in a different league IMHO, and well worth the extra outlay if you can get one. They are extremely good value used.

A pal of mine was set on buying a USA Les Paul last year. Off we went: he tried loads of Gibsons, then a PRS. He left the shop with the PRS, which was also a fair bit cheaper than the Les paul. Nuff Said.

Cheers,
Steve
No question they're a superior guitar, didn't mean to imply otherwise...just giving credit to their budget models, which also blow the competition away. I'd go so far as to say that almost every SE model I've tried impressed me the way no LP Studio ever could, which frankly have been embarrassments to the Gibson name lately. I love Gibsons too, but you've really got to shell out some beans (and/or go vintage) to get anything approaching what PRS has to offer.

And, I'd also recommend that anyone give the used market a gander first...that 3rd child might be safe for a while yet...

'98 Martin HD-28VR, '98 Bourgeois Martin Simpson European, '98 Collings CJmha
Old 08-23-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
And, I'd also recommend that anyone give the used market a gander first...that 3rd child might be safe for a while yet...
thanks ... yep, I am looking at used and a deeply discounted closeout that would be sold as new ... yeah, I kinda hate to part with Son 3 at this time.

-- Play on!!
Old 08-23-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
I'd go so far as to say that almost every SE model I've tried impressed me the way no LP Studio ever could, which frankly have been embarrassments to the Gibson name lately. I love Gibsons too, but you've really got to shell out some beans (and/or go vintage) to get anything approaching what PRS has to offer.
+1

What the man says is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth for both the USA and non-USA guitars. You get an awful lot of PRS for the money wherever it comes from.

All of my PRSi have been bought used. Indeed, I made a huge profit when I eventually sold my 1987. My "signature" cost 2k dollars (!), but that was many, many years ago.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 08-23-2012, 11:19 AM

Asian imports are all very well built nowadays, there's no doubt about that.

But even when I was a broke kid, I would save to buy the real deal -- while my parents would think that I was wasting my money away.

The US model has a thick carved curvy maple cap. The impact on sound is debatable -- but I wouldn't consider a PRS without it.

This discussion reminds me that I haven't played the PRS in a while now. Time to get it out of its case...
Old 08-23-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Rick,
have you played PRS Hollowbody II?

Taylor GS Mini mahogany/sapele with LR Baggs M80
Voyage Air VAOM-06 sitka/sapele with LR Baggs Anthem
Yamaha Guitalele black
Taylor T3/B honey burst
Fender American Stratocaster tobacco burst
G&L Fullerton Deluxe Legacy blonde

Gone but not forgotten..... ReviveMusicStore.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars