The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-29-2017, 05:42 PM

Default A CF guitar that sounds like a Cedar/Mahogany Taylor 514

I find I am liking the Taylor 514 the more I play it. I am strongly thinking about buying one, but still like the idea of CF. I want the warmth, response and compression of Cedar combined with the note separation of Mahogany. Great intonation is a must. It's needs to be a 14 fret to the body cutaway (no short scales). No smaller than a GA type size (OM lacks bass for me). BUT... I don't want to ever worry about humidity or airline travel. Is there a CF guitar that does this???
Old 08-29-2017, 06:26 PM
Guest 928

Carbonius;

Well, a fine thread you've weaven here. I'd bet that you are going to get a lot of response. But then again, I put money on McGregor.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

My gut reaction is that if the Taylor is doing it for you....that's probably what you should buy. That said, I love cedar and the CA guitars I've played had the cedar warmth, not sure about the rest of it though. Ted would likely be the most help with this question....
Old 08-29-2017, 06:55 PM

Ted knows stuff!! So where is he anyway now that we need him?
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-29-2017, 07:24 PM

Try a standard X20 if you get a chance. I don't think it quite sounds like a mellow 514, but it is good enough that I haven't bothered to get that Taylor I had my eye on just yet. I probably won't get another wood guitar either because I love the no worry aspect of these carbon fibers and I lose very little if anything in terms of playability and sound and actually gain in comfort.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 08-29-2017, 07:53 PM

My current nylon crossover is cedar/mahogany. Great tone, and I can't imagine any composite matching it, but it's the last wood guitar I'll buy for the reasons you mentioned. Cutaway, scale length, intonation, etc, will all be great with cf because the manufacturing process is so precise. If you can embrace a different tone, there is a cf with your name on it. If not, then a high maintenance cedar/mahogany guitar has your name on it. My next guitar will definitely be cf or some other composite.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Of the wood guitars I still have, one is all mahogany. No cedar. A lovely Taylor 522ce 12-fret. Nice tone. While it is pretty subjective to "rank" tone, the Emerald X20 is louder, richer, more bass, and more comfortable.

Does that make the CF a better sound? Umm... I like it better.

We can make recommendations, but best to let your ears decide. Rather than find one that "sounds like," you might find one you like even better.

Good luck with the search.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonius View Post
I want the warmth, response and compression of Cedar combined with the note separation of Mahogany. Great intonation is a must. It's needs to be a 14 fret to the body cutaway (no short scales). No smaller than a GA type size (OM lacks bass for me). BUT... I don't want to ever worry about humidity or airline travel. Is there a CF guitar that does this???
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Ted knows stuff!! So where is he anyway now that we need him?
Thanks, Kramster. You know, anyone looking for something like a Taylor GA in CF should look to Rainsong, preferably the CO-WS1000N2, but Carbonius's list of wants might be a bit too specific for any CF guitar.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:57 AM

Thanks guys.

I agree with Ted the a CO-WS1000N2 is probably my best shot. He sells Taylor's and Rainsong's so he should have a good grasp of the tones. I would go CO-WS1100N2 as I hate barn doors. I was quite enamored with an APLE I played (older version of APSE). It has the same top and body as the Concert line. I would want more bass, a tad more treble for clarity (could have been old strings though) and then more frets and better access to them. So it sounds like a CO-WS1100N2 would be best. I sent Ted a PM to inquire about the $$$. He responds fast (thanks Ted). I have to look into the exchange rate and CDN taxes to see where the final price takes me.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Thanks, Kramster. look to Rainsong, preferably the CO-WS1000N2
This would be my recommendation as well. WS body, 14-fret neck, unidirectional soundboard.

Then take off the factory strings and switch to Phosphor Bronze or maybe some Martin Monels.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber