The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 08-11-2015, 09:38 AM

Default Gibson? Cromwell Archtop

I've been looking on and off for an archtop and spotted this on eBay this morning.

Does anyone know anything about these? I know it's not a real Gibson but with the sticker on the inside is it of comparable quality? Is the price right on it? Looks like it could be a cool guitar to scratch an itch I have.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:49 PM

I don't know whether the price is decent, but if you Google "Cromwell by Gibson" you can at least get more info on the guitar. The specific Ebay guitar looks like it has a spruce top (not necessarily solid) but the f hole binding looks painted on.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 08-11-2015, 04:11 PM

I'd be cautious at that price. I've never seen the painted/bound f holes nor have I ever seen one with the "Gibson" name applied. The bridge is a recent replacement so it may be a recent rebuild.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:49 PM

Yeah it's a genuine Gibson. Those are incredible guitars. If you intend on having it for collector purposes I'd forget about it. The f holes have been painted and the headstock and logo also have been painted on. The neck design indicates Cromwell was written up there originally. They had decorative fretboards. I wouldn't rule out recording king or Kalamazoo either....
Not a bad price for the UK. I bought a Gibson made recording King similar to that for pennies and its an amazing guitar.
If you're worried that it's a fake, don't be. It's just been "modded" by someone wanting a gibson lol.
That things more Gibson than a modern one! Love those V necks on them old guitars. It was probably built in the mid 1930s.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops