The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-16-2015, 01:43 PM

Default I'm In Waterloo-ve

I purchased a Waterloo WL-14L from the Collings Forum classifieds in the middle part of last month and have intended to post a detailed review of the instrument for those of you who, like me, were curious about its merits in genres outside of the blues tradition.

My curiosity about the guitar was born because I wanted a guitar with some distinctive character that would push me out of the boxes that I naturally fall into, and the decision to purchase was sealed by Julian Lage's AG Sessions video- particularly when he cited its lightweight and spot on intonation. Mine, like his, is ladder braced and has a T-bar in the neck.

It should go without saying that I am no Julian Lage and that, in his inimitable hands, even a cardboard box would sound good. Alas, I am a singer/songwriter that cherry-picks from a few different genres. Thanks to my past as a professional drummer, I tend to have a heavy right hand approach that is exacerbated by my predilection toward thick plectrums. I had some concerns about the Waterloo's ability to hold up to that sort of attack, but also considered that if, as Lage said, the guitar would tell me when I was buzzing and hacking away, that perhaps I could begin to correct some bad habits.

Simply put, I am totally and completely in love with the little imp and have played solo and band gigs with it- all to rave reviews. It is a featherweight, and as such is a joy to play for the four hour sets that are usually required of me. It is lively, responding to any change in attack, touch, grip, etc, and projects brilliantly. The BIG V-neck sits in the hand beautifully and is a pleasure to play. Fit and finish have been discussed in some depth already, so all that I will add is that the grain filler used on the back and sides is lovely and understated.

The tone of the guitar, while idiosyncratic, is intoxicating and I lose myself noodling for long periods of time. As you might expect, it has a strong fundamental, but it chords well and is supportive in either a rhythmic role or as a lead acoustic in a larger band. Make no mistake, this is not a deep sounding instrument, although it does resonate well. If you own another Collings, the timbre of the two will differ markedly. However, it doesn't take long for my ear to acclimate to (and subsequently be inspired by) the midrange honk and tight bass.

What has surprised me most is just how responsive an instrument Collings has created. When I dig into a D1, I always feel that I just get more of the fundamental tone (not a bad thing, admittedly). When I dig into the Waterloo however, the fundamental tone also alters. It's like playing a really great tube amplifier. Play lightly, and it'll sing. Play hard, and it'll scream right back at you. I LOVE that. Uncle Bill has a winner here and I'll look forward to seeing what comes of other models under the Waterloo name.

Below, I'm posting links to some new songs that I demoed with the Waterloo. Again, the guitar is ladder braced and has a T-bar in the neck. The pick is a Blue Chip TD40, and the recording was done with a Zoom H4n.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me with a PM or email.

https://soundcloud.com/cyle-ta...terloo-wl-14lt-demos
Old 04-16-2015, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Excellent review. You really capture what it is that I like about the Waterloo.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
julian lage, sound clips, waterloo, wl-14, wl14l