The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-06-2010, 09:54 AM

Mythbusters will do the show... just tell them you've heard that a carbon fiber guitar will explode violently when heated up enough. They'll keep heating it up, and of course it won't explode. Then they'll say that they aren't really satisfied unless something blows up, so they'll pack it with C4 and turn it back into carbon atoms.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:10 PM

I have no issues in playing either of my CA carbon fiber guitars outdoors. I do it frequently and it gets really hot where I live. I'm never concerned about humidity or temperature, but I will not play either guitar in direct sunlight for any length of time. It is not so much that I'm worried about the failure of the glue joints or bracing, its just that I hate to get 3rd degree burns while playing a guitar. My GX get's really hot in direct sunlight; not so much though with my Cargo which has the RT finish.

'03 Martin OM-28V
'04 Breedlove McKenzie Mando
'05 Seagull S12+
'06 Larrivee LV-03E
'07 Takamine TC132SC
'08 CA 7M-CE, '08 CA Cargo
SWR California Blonde II, AAD Cub
Old 04-06-2010, 06:20 PM

I had a GX performer in Gloss carbon burst. When I played it out side on the deck last summer it was sunny out. not realy hot just sunny. after a few minuted I had laid my arm against the top and DANG!!! it was hot!!. Not enough to burn maybe BUT it was hot enough it was very uncomfortable to keep it there.

Carbon guitars are pretty durable but I found a gloss black ANYTHING + sun = NASTY HOT!!! I would not play a gloss black wood guirtar either outdoors in the sun.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:33 PM

Love these pics Ted - if CA was still around, this should be on their website...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpman View Post
None of the above is relevant to carbon guitars as the glues, finishes, and manufacturing techniques are very different from traditional wood guitars.

I have left both my carbon fiber guitar and carbon fiber bicycle out in the California summer sun all day on a number of occasions without ill effect, and just like last year, my OX will live in the back of my SUV all summer this year as well. I suspect some of the stories of people getting burned and bridges coming off are just FUD.

BTW, I find Windex works well for removing suntan lotion from my carbon guitars

Old 04-06-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpman View Post
None of the above is relevant to carbon guitars as the glues, finishes, and manufacturing techniques are very different from traditional wood guitars.
What were the glues used for the joints on CA guitars?
What were the finishes used?
Was the matrix for the carbon fiber surfaces polyester or epoxy?
Thx for any specific info you might have
Old 04-06-2010, 09:06 PM

I know the finish was an automotive based finish according to CA. The finish can handle anything a car paint job can handle. not sure aboutthe other Qs
Old 04-07-2010, 11:33 AM

Having spent quite a bit of time in Mexico, at latitudes where the temperature was above 100 degrees at noon, I have to chuckle that my Rainsongs are more durable than wooden guitars under those circumstances.

Then again, if one watches the other musicians down there, it's rare that folks will stand in direct sunlight during the day when performing, even when getting paid. Guitars and such are a much bigger investment in terms of earnings, and so folks treat them with more care.

Since I own 5 Rainsongs, and have used quite a few of them in conditions ranging from desert to thunderstorms to outside with snow on the ground, I have my doubts about the story. Is it worth my writing Rainsong and asking if they really warned that playing the guitar in the sun might melt the glue?

Nah... I'll just say that the guy is rough on guitars. When he was "trying one out," and it got so hot in the sun he couldn't touch it... was that in a store, or had he bought one? Did its temperature climb slowly while he was playing, or had he left it on a stand in direct sunlight (and for how long)? If so, how have his other guitars reacted to being left on a stand in direct sunlight (assuming that isn't the factor causing his guitars to fail more frequently than every 5 months)?

How did his other guitars fail, incidentally? That is a huge amount of guitars to "go through," in my experience....

Perhaps the sun is just hotter in Hawaii than in Mexico and California. I'm glad I don't have to live there....
Old 04-07-2010, 07:59 PM

I'm hesitant to keep this thread going, but..... there are many musicians who drive around the country gigging, in all kinds of conditions, including summer outdoor concerts. I'm sure many, if not most, have to leave their guitars in their cars from time to time. Has anyone here heard of any that had their guitars, mandolins, etc. come apart because of the heat?
Old 04-07-2010, 08:20 PM

I'm not expert, but I bought a "like new" used one once and had to send it back (with a fight mind you) because the neck was warped to all get out and couldn't be repaired. My tech (he doesn't have credibility on this issue, but . . .) said that they are great at withstanding humidity, but not direct sunlight. His guess was that mine was left out in the sun and warped due to that.
Fingerpickers: Pat Donohue, Bob Evans, Tommy Emmanuel, Stephen Bennett, Masa Sumide, Eric Lugosch, Martin Taylor, Joe Pass, Jacques Stotzem, Laurence Juber, Rolly Brown, Tuck Andress, Ted Greene, Woody Mann

Rockers: Paul Gilbert, Joe Satriani, Guthrie Govan, Richie Kotzen, Joey Tafolla, Blues Saraceno, Andy Timmons

www.myspace.com/serikulus
www.youtube.com/fingerpickerguy
Old 04-07-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
I'm hesitant to keep this thread going, but..... there are many musicians who drive around the country gigging, in all kinds of conditions, including summer outdoor concerts. I'm sure many, if not most, have to leave their guitars in their cars from time to time. Has anyone here heard of any that had their guitars, mandolins, etc. come apart because of the heat?
Absolutely. I brought my Bourgieos to the Caas Event in Nashville a couple of years ago. I played it a lot outside the hotel inbetween shows. Well, the bridge glue softened and the bridge pretty much popped off (not completely, but I had to have it taken off and reglued to make it useful again.)
Fingerpickers: Pat Donohue, Bob Evans, Tommy Emmanuel, Stephen Bennett, Masa Sumide, Eric Lugosch, Martin Taylor, Joe Pass, Jacques Stotzem, Laurence Juber, Rolly Brown, Tuck Andress, Ted Greene, Woody Mann

Rockers: Paul Gilbert, Joe Satriani, Guthrie Govan, Richie Kotzen, Joey Tafolla, Blues Saraceno, Andy Timmons

www.myspace.com/serikulus
www.youtube.com/fingerpickerguy

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber