The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-27-2010, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Default Saddles & Beads

Are the same things we tend to read about the benefits of various saddle materials also true on nylon string guitars? In other words, do the unwound nylon strings react any differently than the wire strings on a steel string guitar?

Next item - Has anyone tried tieing knots in one end of their strings, then running the string through a wood or glass bead to hold it at the bridge instead of tieing it at the bridge? In a different guitar forum, we've been discussing it as a utility that is easier than tieing, but does anyone know whether there is a tonal difference to be perceived?

Thanks,
Dennis

Old 03-27-2010, 08:01 AM

From the forum discussions I've read, there's no functional advantage or disadvantage to using saddle beads. Personally, I think they're ugly and I don't have a problem tying strings at the saddle. Here's an excellent nylon stringing method that I've found very effective:

http://www.schrammguitars.com/stringingmethod.html
Old 03-27-2010, 08:11 AM

Beads? I never heard of that before? Any pics?
Old 03-27-2010, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Here is a link to the Bridge Bone Beads website.

Personally I prefer the 18 hole tie block.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play2PraiseHim View Post
Beads? I never heard of that before? Any pics?
I don't have any pics because I abandoned the idea when the wooden beads I bought turned out to be too soft and split as the strings were tightened.

The subject arose when one of the members of the other forum was looking for a solution to a shallow break over the saddle. The wrapping apparently lifted the string slightly, so tieing a knot in the end of the string and using a little bead like the ball end of a steel string worked for him. His worked because he had glass beads where my wooden beads were too soft.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaddyT View Post
Here is a link to the Bridge Bone Beads website.

Personally I prefer the 18 hole tie block.
That's really interesting, but it isn't something that can be added to any guitar, is it? Is that something of your own design?

Old 03-27-2010, 12:09 PM

I just tie mine, it took a couple tries when I first was starting but even I quickly got the idea after a bad tie or two came undone and slapped across my face while attempting to get tension.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratokatsu View Post
That's really interesting, but it isn't something that can be added to any guitar, is it? Is that something of your own design?
I know folks who have added it, but it is a tedious job on a completed guitar. It is not my design. A number of makers are using the 18 hole and the 12 hole tie block, as it removes the issue of the string lifting itself up on the front of the tie block and decreasing the break angle over the saddle. The beads are supposed to do the same thing. With a 12 hole tie block, the string only crosses the tie block one time, and crosses under the loop, just like the 18 holer.

For those who are interested, here is a really good tutorial on an excellent stringing method for standard tie blocks. It is effective and neat. http://www.schrammguitars.com/tutorial.html
Old 03-27-2010, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

I tie a knot on the 1st and 2nd string because of this increases the saddle breakover angle for these two strings. I found the breakover angle was a little shallow prior to employing this technique because the traditional wrap method allowed the string pull up slightly between the tie block and saddle.

I tried beads and didn't notice too much difference.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical