The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-31-2013, 07:59 AM

Default Thinner Bodied NRP Delphi

Hi, What year did NRP start making the Delphi with thinner gauge steel bodies. Was it pre 1999 or later? Thanks for any replies.
Cheers.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:12 AM
Guest 2143

I did not think that thet changed the gauge on the Delphis unless you are referring to when National dropped the Delphi and replaced it with the NRP. This occurred around 2010/2011, but don't quote me on this. As I said, National also dropped the name Delphi and went to NRP. I have a 2006 Vintage Steel Delphi that has the heavier gauge steel and does not have an arched back. There are also other differences between the Delphis and the NRPs (nut material, fret board material, neck binding/no neck binding). Even the Delphis themselves have variations - powerder coat finish or Vintage Steel, thicker necks in older models v. lower profile necks in the more recent models (still thick, but not as thick). If you can, try the different models to see what you prefer. Hope this helps.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:37 AM

Thanks for that, i have seen a 1999 Delphi for sale , this has the binding etc. So will have a chunkier neck a well. I checked out the NRP webite sor the Delpi and now i know why i couldn`t find them! Thanks again. Cheers.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:32 AM
Guest 2143

The 1999 will probably not have the chunkier neck. I think they started using the CNC machines (thinner necks) earlier in the 90s. I would not rule it out. Perhaps you can play it to see if you like it. Is it a powdercoat version or the vintage steel?
Old 03-31-2013, 01:30 PM

The guitar is the powdercoat version.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:02 PM
Guest 2143

Some claim that they are a bit warmer sounding than the Vintage Steel models due to the baked on paint. Others claim they sound the same.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-thirty-great View Post
Some claim that they are a bit warmer sounding than the Vintage Steel models due to the baked on paint. Others claim they sound the same.
Ha Ha I LOVE THAT POST
Old 04-01-2013, 08:53 AM
Guest 2143

Quote:
Originally Posted by wezzywest View Post
Ha Ha I LOVE THAT POST

Old 04-02-2013, 09:47 AM

I have a polychrome, which is the tricone variation of your guitar. Baked on finish, flat back, etc.

I hear a difference between my guitar and thinner NRP models. But there is a lot going on between the old and new models. Yes the paint. The flat back vs. domed, the thinner steel, and even the hot rod cones vs the older cones. I do think mine has more bass response. Feel free to pick which of differences account for that
Old 04-02-2013, 10:23 AM
Guest 2143

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
I have a polychrome, which is the tricone variation of your guitar. Baked on finish, flat back, etc.

I hear a difference between my guitar and thinner NRP models. But there is a lot going on between the old and new models. Yes the paint. The flat back vs. domed, the thinner steel, and even the hot rod cones vs the older cones. I do think mine has more bass response. Feel free to pick which of differences account for that
Mine is a Vintage Steel model - no baked on finish, and the original poster does not have a National, so I am not sure who you are comparing yours too. No big deal...
Old 04-02-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Mine is a Vintage Steel model - no baked on finish, and the original poster does not have a National, so I am not sure who you are comparing yours too. No big deal...
I wasn't reacting to your post, I was responding the OP.

The OP said was talking about the Delphi. The Polychrome is the tricone equivalent of the Delphi. All the same design points as the Delphi: Paint, steel, neck, flat back.

So I was pointing out that my Polychrome sounds different from the modern thinner steel tricones. Just as a delphi will likely sound different than a modern thinner steel single cone for all the same reasons.

I should have said "the guitar you are looking at" as opposed to "your guitar". Hope that clears it up for you.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:28 PM
Guest 2143

Quote:
I wasn't reacting to your post, I was responding the OP.

The OP said was talking about the Delphi. The Polychrome is the tricone equivalent of the Delphi. All the same design points as the Delphi: Paint, steel, neck, flat back.

So I was pointing out that my Polychrome sounds different from the modern thinner steel tricones. Just as a delphi will likely sound different than a modern thinner steel single cone for all the same reasons.

I should have said "the guitar you are looking at" as opposed to "your guitar". Hope that clears it up for you.
I see. Sorry, I did not mean to split hairs. What color is your plolychrome, by the way? Blue?
Old 04-02-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I see. Sorry, I did not mean to split hairs. What color is your plolychrome, by the way? Blue?
Ha! I actually went looking for a blue one and FAILED! I ended up with the Black (I think they called it volcanic ash or something), and lo these many years later I'm thrilled I didn't get a blue one. The black is just so Darth Vadery! I have a brass and a couple german silvers, and hands down the Polychrome is my favorite looking one. I'm so low class...
Old 04-03-2013, 01:55 PM
Guest 2143

Quote:
Ha! I actually went looking for a blue one and FAILED! I ended up with the Black (I think they called it volcanic ash or something), and lo these many years later I'm thrilled I didn't get a blue one. The black is just so Darth Vadery! I have a brass and a couple german silvers, and hands down the Polychrome is my favorite looking one. I'm so low class...
I actually prefer the looks of the less shiny and less ornate Nationals too. I suppose I too am lower class.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments