The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-31-2015, 06:39 PM

Default Do I need a DI Box?

Me again. One more question...

I just bought the LR Baggs Anthem True Mic Blended pickup/internal mic system for my D-18.

My question--is this pickup (which does include a pre-amp) loud enough on it's own? Would a DI Box (like the Venue system) give it an extra-boost in terms of volume, or not?

I know the Venue system would allow me to EQ the sound, etc. but is it needed for purposes of volume or is the Anthem pickup loud enough? I'll be playing in fairly noisy coffee-shops and bar/restaurants...

Thanks again folks!
Old 03-31-2015, 07:57 PM

The onboard preamp in the system, buffers the signal and makes it strong enough to go through an unbalanced instrument cable for a relatively short run to the instrument or line input of a combo amp or PA mixer. The combo amp or PA system will then make it loud enough for the room (assuming it's an appropriate system for the room). If you need to run a cable more than 15 feet or so to get to the amp or mixer, you should use a simple DI box (active or passive, doesn't matter) to balance the signal so you can go from the box to a balanced mic input using an XLR cable. The advantage here is resistance to interference and no loss of signal along the length of the cable, both of which can start to be problems with unbalanced cables after 15 feet or so.

A unit like the Venue DI is actually a sort of Swiss army knife tool with a bunch of functions, including a preamp, a DI output, EQ, feedback notch, a tuner, a boost switch, etc. As you suggest, you'd use one if you wanted these functions (especially for the EQ) or enough of them, at least, to make it worth the money.

Louis
Old 04-01-2015, 07:05 AM

You've got a preamp already so you're good to go for an unbalanced (instrument cable) for short runs. I wouldn't go more than 20 feet. If you need to feed a snake to get to the mixer (or just a long run to the mixer) then you can get a straight, no-frills, DI. They can be had for less than $100.

Cary
Old 04-01-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revellfa View Post
Me again. One more question...

I just bought the LR Baggs Anthem True Mic Blended pickup/internal mic system for my D-18.

My question--is this pickup (which does include a pre-amp) loud enough on it's own? Would a DI Box (like the Venue system) give it an extra-boost in terms of volume, or not?

I know the Venue system would allow me to EQ the sound, etc. but is it needed for purposes of volume or is the Anthem pickup loud enough? I'll be playing in fairly noisy coffee-shops and bar/restaurants...

Thanks again folks!
The Venue isn't a DI, it's a preamp with a balanced output, (which is what a DI gives you).

The pickup will be loud enough on its own I would imagine, though you haven't said what you are connecting it to! If connecting to a mixing desk then a DI is fairly essential for maintaining the integrity of the signal over a long cable run and reducing the risk for induced noise. And if you are connecting to a mixing desk then that should allow for any increase of volume that's needed.

With a seperate preamp of course you can adjust the eq settings to take into account the venue and especially the acoustics where you are standing or sitting - if there's a predominant frequency (standing wave) where you are a notch filter can help tame the sound and bring it back to a nice balanced tone for the room. Which in its turn also gives you more headroom to turn up if it's needed. And as the Venue has a balanced output you won't need an actual DI.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 04-01-2015, 01:09 PM

I guess I meant "do I need a pre amp?" Im plugging directly into the mixing board. The cord will probably be 15 feet long
Old 04-01-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revellfa View Post
I guess I meant "do I need a pre amp?" Im plugging directly into the mixing board. The cord will probably be 15 feet long
No, you shouldn't need an external one. Of course, your ears are the final judge of how it sounds going direct to the board, but there's no technical reason for an active pickup like that to need any help sending a strong enough signal to a board through 15 feet of good instrument cable.

Louis

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification