The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-27-2015, 01:48 PM

wonder if they will have this at the Sweetwater June Weekend. they are a distributor.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 03-28-2015, 06:49 AM

When you look at comparable gear and the fact that this is studio grade that you can throw in your gig bag, I think the price point is very fair. I would definitely like to hear and test drive the Felix. What I think we are all seeing is gear that now, finally is getting more specialized to our guitar electronics. It is always a growth process - driven a lot by the folks on this forum who demand a product to fit a need.

I like it!
I think it is a good option to check out. Whether it will be worth the $$ will certainly be up to each one of us to decide based upon our needs.

Thanks for bringing this to us.
davidc
Old 03-28-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
When you look at comparable gear and the fact that this is studio grade that you can throw in your gig bag, I think the price point is very fair. I would definitely like to hear and test drive the Felix. What I think we are all seeing is gear that now, finally is getting more specialized to our guitar electronics. It is always a growth process - driven a lot by the folks on this forum who demand a product to fit a need.

I like it!
I think it is a good option to check out. Whether it will be worth the $$ will certainly be up to each one of us to decide based upon our needs.

Thanks for bringing this to us.
davidc
Hopefully at this price point you are not going to "throw" it into your gig bag! I kid of course, I would personally just be hesitant to even put it onto my pedalboard. I probably did over react at the initial price point and it does look to answer a number of my wants for a preamp/di. It's just frustrating when there are similar preamps out there like the Radial Pz-Pre and Dtar Solstice that are studio quality units and are at a good price, but are just missing one or two features that I need. If Radial would just release a Pz-Pre with separate eq controls or Dtar would release a pedalboard version of the Solstice then I believe that they would sell like crazy.

I am not trying to derail this thread, I was just hoping that this unit would be a little bit more affordable. I understand why people would pay this much and it looks like a great unit, it would just be nice if it was in the $500-600 range. With that said, the street price tends to be lower so maybe these units will sell for less.

EDIT: I just looked at the unit again and the one downside I see is the TRS effects loop. The Spectrum Aura has this set up and it requires a Y-cable which is a pain.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:55 AM

I think it needs a few more knobs.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:07 PM

Too much going on, too many knobs, and probably too expensive. I try to keep it simple. If you have a nice sounding guitar with a nicely matched pickup for the guitar and style you play, you don't need to make it this complicated! Also, I'd dare to say that given too many controls, most of us would probably ruin the sound because of a lack of understanding each frequency range, etc and would create a mess. It's not always good to have so many choices!
Old 03-28-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
I appears you are not familiar with high quality audio and the costs associated with design, parts and manufacture. Calling it ridiculous demonstrates a lack of understanding of the financial realities facing boutique audio shops whose primary desire is to build a no-holes barred exceptional product and whose profit motive is secondary.
Yeah, but you have to keep your market in mind as well. It's like taking a 1081 preamp or Fairchild compressor to your local open mic night! Studio quality, yes, but the right tool for the job, definitely not!
Old 03-28-2015, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpark View Post
Yeah, but you have to keep your market in mind as well. It's like taking a 1081 preamp or Fairchild compressor to your local open mic night! Studio quality, yes, but the right tool for the job, definitely not!
Well considering their intended market, I think the price is reasonable. People just casually playing at local open mice would be better served by the simpler products like you mentioned in your other posts.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Looks great~ just waiting for some reviews..

price is bit higher than I expected. Highlander PAMDI was very good DI with all the features I wanted..and price was good. I don't know why they discontinued the model.

Goodall Jumbo Royal Hawaiian

Merill & Co C-41

Merill & Co OM-18
Old 03-30-2015, 08:49 AM

This looks interesting. I've seen and heard lots of the more common preamps that are discussed here, and never was tempted to upgrade from my Baggs ParaDI, but the Felix has my attention.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:09 AM

The Grace preamp is out of my affordable scope and probably to complicated for me, I like simple..
Knobs and I have to many disagreements

The preamp we have all been waiting for...

I was hoping this was for the new Baggs unit, Session DI

http://www.lrbaggs.com/session-acoustic-di

that's the one I am waiting on and might be able to afford
Probably never get rid of original sansamp acoustic DI = great unit / set it and forget it

Last edited by woodenstrings; 03-30-2015 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:46 AM

After my comments above, I should clarify that I use a RedEye Twin as my blending preamp/DI because it IS SIMPLE!
Sometimes the more complicated I make my setup the more frustrated it gets to achieve good live tone. SO, I keep it very simple now and love that I can concentrate on my playing.
davidc
Old 03-31-2015, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Sometimes the more complicated I make my setup the more frustrated it gets to achieve good live tone. SO, I keep it very simple now and love that I can concentrate on my playing.
Like, +1, bold, underlined, highlighted, ALL CAPS, favorite!
Old 03-31-2015, 07:34 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
After my comments above, I should clarify that I use a RedEye Twin as my blending preamp/DI because it IS SIMPLE!
davidc
Absolutely the key, finding the threshold between bad sound that distracts the performer and excessive fine tuning that does the same. Because as has been reiterated so much around here, most of the audience isn't focusing on the eq levels.

https://soundcloud.com/mcshepherd

Axe (acoustic): 2013 Gibson J-45 Standard (w/hardware mods)
Pickup: BGM Elevation SBT
Preamp/DI: Archangel x7 (generation 7)
Tube Amp: Peavey Delta Blues 115
Old 03-31-2015, 10:05 AM

I am one of those that gets distracted by an incredibly poor acoustic guitar sound which for me almost ruins an otherwise fine exhibition of skill. But that's just me and doesn't reflect the views of the majority of the audience.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 03-31-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
I am one of those that gets distracted by an incredibly poor acoustic guitar sound which for me almost ruins an otherwise fine exhibition of skill. But that's just me and doesn't reflect the views of the majority of the audience.
I am that way now as well, piezo quack screams at me now?
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification