The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-01-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnbys View Post
Check Elderly Instruments. They seem to have it in stock. There are also several for sale on Reverb.com
I didn't think to try Elderly, thanks! I did check Reverb.com and they seem to be selling the XOM preamp separate from the UST and AST. Shoreline has it in stock so I will try there. I am just hoping that the pickup arrives next week (to Canada) because I would love to install it for my show on the 11th.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:30 PM

Just wondering if I need the wide or narrow B-Band UST for my Taylor? I haven't installed a UST in a while but I seem to remember my Fishman Matrix being the Wide version.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Just wondering if I need the wide or narrow B-Band UST for my Taylor? I haven't installed a UST in a while but I seem to remember my Fishman Matrix being the Wide version.
I just installed a B-Band UST in my Taylor and used the narrow (2.2 mm) transducer. As I recall your saddle slot needs to be 1/8" in width for the wider one.

Martin D-15M
Taylor 420 Maple
Alvarez MD80
Alvarez MD80/12
Old 04-02-2015, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire&Rain View Post
I just installed a B-Band UST in my Taylor and used the narrow (2.2 mm) transducer. As I recall your saddle slot needs to be 1/8" in width for the wider one.
I ended up buying the wide format version. I am pretty sure that Taylor guitars use the wide format.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:23 AM

Wide format is correct. Didn't mean to throw you on the saddle edges. Not sure where I learned the trick but just a slight rounding of the edges will do. I use 220 grit sandpaper on a perfectly flat surface and sand the two long edges just a bit then do the same for the rounded ends. This is done to make sure the bottom of the saddle doesn't bind near the bottom of the slot. I sometimes use a four sided nail buffer ( not emery board) to really shine up the saddle sides which makes it easier for the saddle to go completely in. I get the buffer where they sell nail polish for the ladies at the grocery or drug store. Same thing used to shine nails.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenuff View Post
Wide format is correct. Didn't mean to throw you on the saddle edges. Not sure where I learned the trick but just a slight rounding of the edges will do. I use 220 grit sandpaper on a perfectly flat surface and sand the two long edges just a bit then do the same for the rounded ends. This is done to make sure the bottom of the saddle doesn't bind near the bottom of the slot. I sometimes use a four sided nail buffer ( not emery board) to really shine up the saddle sides which makes it easier for the saddle to go completely in. I get the buffer where they sell nail polish for the ladies at the grocery or drug store. Same thing used to shine nails.
No worries at all, I would rather hear insight about the installation then to go into it blind! I will definitely let everyone know how I like it. My only concern is that my Taylor still has that fused/metal string ground attached under the bridge. I am pretty sure I can just rip it off but I hope it doesn't take any wood with it which will impact the AST install.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:39 PM

I can’t believe it has taken this long but I am finally installing this in one of my guitars. Here’s my current issue though, the AST comes with a jig that matches perfectly to the saddle. The problem is, the AST is quite long and covers the hole where the UST would go through. It seems as though the older A2.2 used a much smaller AST. Has anyone run into this issue?
Old 07-29-2019, 10:47 AM

I've run into a similar issue a couple times where the bridgeplate did not have enough material under the saddle. In that case, I have installed it on the other side of the bridge pins without a noticable difference in the sound compared to ones directly under the saddle.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlipoth View Post
I've run into a similar issue a couple times where the bridgeplate did not have enough material under the saddle. In that case, I have installed it on the other side of the bridge pins without a noticable difference in the sound compared to ones directly under the saddle.
Some photos show that so it’s an option for sure. It’s just weird how the AST is said to go along the saddle line but it’s so long that it covers the ust hole. It says in the manual to pay attention to the ust hole and not cover it but I don’t get why they would make a jig that goes over the hole. I just hate how I have a one time shot to put it on.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:07 PM

Is the UST hole drilled at a 90 degree angle or closer to a 45 degree angle to the top?
Old 07-29-2019, 05:17 PM

I just installed the pickup. I ended up just putting the AST slightly closer to the sound hole as I did not have enough room behind the bridge pins. Unfortunately, the pickup is extremely noisy. There's a lot of background hiss. I know B-Band had issues with this in the past but I had figured the newer versions would be fine. It's a bummer because the UST portion is actually wonderful. It's the best UST I have tried. I don't hear quack and it just has a nice, warm and fairly natural tone. The AST on the other hand is shrill and thin. I don't even like blending any of it in. I know this is due to the placement but still a disappointment. I would try to track down just the UST but I am not confident that it would be quiet in terms of hiss.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:36 PM

Here's some stuff to trouble shoot:

- Is the UST hole at a 90 degree angle or closer to 45 degrees?
- Is the UST hole a tight fit or can the sensor move easily through it?
- Did you smooth/sand around the underside of the UST hole?
- Did you turn up the gain screw on the UST?

These items can result in a lack of signal or a damaged pickup....I've learned this the hard way a couple times.

In regards to the AST, I find the blended sound is significantly better if you drop the AST gain screw to taste. There is a spot it starts to sound a bit like the LR Baggs Anthem.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlipoth View Post
Here's some stuff to trouble shoot:

- Is the UST hole at a 90 degree angle or closer to 45 degrees?
- Is the UST hole a tight fit or can the sensor move easily through it?
- Did you smooth/sand around the underside of the UST hole?
- Did you turn up the gain screw on the UST?

These items can result in a lack of signal or a damaged pickup....I've learned this the hard way a couple times.

In regards to the AST, I find the blended sound is significantly better if you drop the AST gain screw to taste. There is a spot it starts to sound a bit like the LR Baggs Anthem.
I narrowed it down to the UST. Unfortunately, I think you were right about the 90 vs. 45 degree angle. I had a Fishman Matrix installed years ago and used that hole. the Matrix only requires a straight hole but the B-band definitely needs an angled hole. I looked at the UST and it looks like there's a section right where the pickup bends at the hole, where the materials have separated. Bummer but like you said, you have to learn the hard way.

Now this has me thinking. I tried the Anthem and had it professionally installed. The luthier who did it used the straight hole from the Matrix installation. However, Baggs recommends an angled hole. I dismissed the Anthem due to a lack of low end. I wonder if in anyway this straight hole was impacting the tone of the element.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Well, I love this pickup, as I've said in other posts, there is no noise issue with the three guitars I have them installed in. As for the metallic sound issue, I noticed it in my J45, and I traced it to the way the UST passed through the hole in my bridge. While in for a fret dress, my luthier friend, Lynn Wheelwright, just plugged the hole with a bit of cork so that the metal lead of the UST wouldn't rattle, and now that pickup sounds great.
That's good info! I have a hybrid I built (think Taylor T5) with the A2.2 system, and have been getting that same metallic sound. I thought it was fret rattle. Now I have another thing to check. Other than that I love the system! It works great on my build. BTW - Grizzly Tools has some B-Band systems and parts selling at a discount. Go to their dropdown and select home and ? Hobby maybe, and there is a listing for lutiher supplies.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I just installed the pickup. I ended up just putting the AST slightly closer to the sound hole as I did not have enough room behind the bridge pins. Unfortunately, the pickup is extremely noisy. There's a lot of background hiss. I know B-Band had issues with this in the past but I had figured the newer versions would be fine. It's a bummer because the UST portion is actually wonderful. It's the best UST I have tried. I don't hear quack and it just has a nice, warm and fairly natural tone. The AST on the other hand is shrill and thin. I don't even like blending any of it in. I know this is due to the placement but still a disappointment. I would try to track down just the UST but I am not confident that it would be quiet in terms of hiss.
I must say, of anyone on this forum you have had the WORST luck with pickups.

Where did you get the pickup? From a reputable seller? Because their were knock-offs many people were buying on e-bay that had problems with noise.
To find out if the preamp is noisy, switch leads on the preamp and see if the UST is now noisy. It will work both ways. BTW B-Band ships the preamp
with both pots set at 100% I always back up the AST a bit.

As someone else mentioned the gain needs to be backed up a bit on the AST as you only need a bit of it in the mix. Make sure the pickup connectors are tightly seated in the preamp, and also check that the ribbon cable to the volume/blend control is tight on both sides, this is very important! I've had them in where they were barely seated. FWIW I've never had a noise issue with B-bands, other than a slight metallic edge with the UST (fixed easily) which I talked about in my earlier post, and I currently have them in 5 guitars of varying woods, finishes, and body shapes. (Gibson J45, Gibson J100 Xtra, Martin D17M, Martin OM15 Gloss, Parkwood LE061).

Your observation of their UST is why I love them, and as I said, I use just a touch of the AST. You just use enough to get some air on the UST.

Last edited by rockabilly69; 07-30-2019 at 01:27 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification