The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-27-2014, 01:25 AM

Default My Setup - Whats Yours

Hi all i just wanted to share my gear that i use Both onstage and busking. This may not be an elaborate setup and using cheeper gear but it does exactly what i need and i am happy with it. I buy what I like for what i can afford.
My current setup is as follows.
Instruments:
Segul Guitar: Cutaway, Pickup (under saddle piezo pickup). No modle number printed but has Plus CW Cedar on inside (recently found that someone may have put a more modern sticker inside it).
Greg Bennett Ukulele: Bartone UK-76B with Myers Acoustic instrument Gooseneck pickup.
StompBox: SX SBX II Percussion Stomp Box. Electric foot drum this is handy for keeping time and adding a bass drum type sound.
Harmonicas: A range of harmonics in different keys and brands and a mic holder.
Percussion: Foot Tambourine and foot shaker.
Stage Gear:
Effects Pedal: Korg ToneWorks AX10A, This is a nice acoustic effects pedal with emulation for popular guitar models and effects. it has 40 preset channels and 40 user set channels
Di Box / Preamp: Behringer V-Tone Acoustic ADI-21. This is a good di box with a built in preamp. the preamp has adjustable Treble, Mid, Bass, Mid Freq, Level, Blend. plus a pad with -20 db and a ground Lift. useful for my guitar or ukulele and a range of other instruments including keyboard, bass, electric and so on.
Busking Setup:
AMP: Line6 MicroSpider
External Battery: 12v, 7.5Ah Sealed Lead-Acid Rechargeable Battery
Battery Connection: Car Lighter connection and VANSON SDR-1500 adaptor. plugs into the mains power connection.
Microphone: Wharfedale DM-X Handheld Mic. for the price this microphone is a good buy works as intended. .
Mic Stand: Stagg MIS2024BK Mic Boom Stand
Music Stand: Ashton MS3129 Heavy Duty Folding Music Stand with bag.
Hand Trolley: FAR001FPK Lightweight folding Hand trolle. this is a good trolley lightweight folding flat. i have attached 2 pieces of flexible drain pipe to the back with a cap on the bottom to hold my mic stand and music stand also have a small plastic box to hold all my music gear and such. and the amp fits on top of the box. all held down with bungee cords.
Computer Setup:
Computer: Macbook Pro 2 years old running the latest OSX 10.9.2, Mavericks at time of this post.
Application: Garageband 11 with expansion pack kept up to date.
Microphone: Chord CCU1 Condenser USB Microphone. And pop filter. great for recording vocals, and instruments.
Keyboard: Kurzweil RG20 and USB midi cable.
this is by no means where I want to stop. I do have an idea to get some other stuff in the future like upgrading to a Roland AC-33 acoustic guitar busking amp. some sort of looper effects vocal combo pedal. or similar setup. and a few other things I have seen out there but I am also content with what I currently have and am in no way wanting to rush into buying just for the sake of things. I believe you should use what you have and be happy and even find new interesting ways to use it. Think outside the box and be creative. you never know the possibilities.

So what do you think of this setup, ask me anything you like about my gear and stuff. I would also love to hear about your setup.

To find out about me and my musical self visit.
Facebook: Music Mike
SoundCloud: Music Mike
if nothing much is going on i will eventually get back to recording more stuff and hope to bring amazing tracks and things.

Last edited by mickeyj4j; 02-10-2015 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:02 AM

I play at church.

Seagull S6 CW Quntum I (under saddle piezo pickup) --> BBE 482 SONIC MAXIMIZER --> pendulum hz-10 --> PA
2006 R. Taylor Style 1 Cutaway Old Growth Redwood/Madagascar (ES V1.3)
2005 Tippin Jumbo Adirondack/Quilted Cuban Santa Maria Mahogany
2003 Eichelbaum Slope Dreadnought
2001 Lowden O35 Sitka/Koa
BlueRidge BR163
pendulum preamp hz-10se
Trace Elliot TA100R Mahogany Box
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 03-27-2014, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

I gig 3 or 4 times a month at various venues. I believe in the KISS principle which, to me, means, do the very least to attain what your goal.

My signal chain is: Luthier built DT 00 - K&K - RedEye - SA220 for my guitar and PR35-SA220 for my voice.

This rig generates LOTS of unsolicited compliments and is 1 trip from the car.

How? The SA220 and its pole fit into a rolling bag which is designed to have other things strapped to it. So I strap my mic stand to it. I also use a backpack, just like a kid would take to school. In it I have my mic and everything else I need. So, I have my guitar in one hand, am pulling my SA220 in the other, and have my backpack on my back.

Steve
Old 03-27-2014, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
I gig 3 or 4 times a month at various venues. I believe in the KISS principle which, to me, means, do the very least to attain what your goal.

My signal chain is: Luthier built DT 00 - K&K - RedEye - SA220 for my guitar and PR35-SA220 for my voice.

This rig generates LOTS of unsolicited compliments and is 1 trip from the car.

How? The SA220 and its pole fit into a rolling bag which is designed to have other things strapped to it. So I strap my mic stand to it. I also use a backpack, just like a kid would take to school. In it I have my mic and everything else I need. So, I have my guitar in one hand, am pulling my SA220 in the other, and have my backpack on my back.

Steve
I'm with Steve - KISS!

Martin 00-28EC (with D-TAR MultiSource) -> Red-Eye -> SA220 = One (trip) and done!
Old 03-27-2014, 09:56 AM
Musical minimalist

Performing

Mackie DFX6
Kustom 12" two way powered speakers (surprisingly nice sounding - and I'm a picky SOB)
Blue Encore 100 vocal mic
Behringer C2 pair for guitars
5 high quality Fender XLR cables
35 year old Peavey mic stand with an On-stage side boom for the guitar mic

Recording

Tascam DP-01FX

Last edited by fitness1; 03-27-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyj4j View Post
Hi all i just wanted to share my gear that i use Both onstage and busking. This may not be an elaborate setup and using cheeper gear but it does exactly what i need and i am happy with it. I buy what I like for what i can afford.
My current setup is as follows.
Instruments:
Segul Guitar: Cutaway, Pickup No modle number printed but has Plus CW Cedar on inside
Greg Bennett Ukulele: Bartone UK-76B with Myers Acoustic instrument Gooseneck pickup.
StompBox: SX SBX II Percussion Stomp Box. Electric foot drum this is handy for keeping time and adding a bass drum type sound.
Harmonicas: A range of harmonics in different keys and brands and a mic holder.
Percussion: tamboreen, egg shaker.
Stage Gear:
Effects Pedal: Korg ToneWorks AX10A, This is a nice acoustic effects pedal with emulation for popular guitar models and effects. it has 40 preset channels and 40 user set channels
Di Box / Preamp: Behringer V-Tone Acoustic ADI-21. This is a good di box with a built in preamp. the preamp has adjustable Treble, Mid, Bass, Mid Freq, Level, Blend. plus a pad with -20 db and a ground Lift. useful for my guitar or ukulele and a range of other instruments including keyboard, bass, electric and so on.
Busking Setup:
AMP: Line6 MicroSpider
External Battery: 12v, 7.5Ah Sealed Lead-Acid Rechargeable Battery
Battery Connection: Car Lighter connection and VANSON SDR-1500 adaptor. plugs into the mains power connection.
Microphone: Wharfedale DM-X Handheld Mic. for the price this microphone is a good buy works as intended. .
Mic Stand: Stagg MIS2024BK Mic Boom Stand
Music Stand: Ashton MS3129 Heavy Duty Folding Music Stand with bag.
Hand Trolley: FAR001FPK Lightweight folding Hand trolle. this is a good trolley lightweight folding flat. i have attached 2 pieces of flexible grain pipe to the back with a cap on the bottom to hold my mic stand and music stand also have a small plastic box to hold all my music gear and such. and the amp fits on top of the box. all held down with bungee cords.
Computer Setup:
Computer: Macbook Pro 2 years old running the latest OSX 10.9.2, Mavericks at time of this post.
Application: Garageband 11 with expansion pack kept up to date.
Microphone: Chord CCU1 Condenser USB Microphone. And pop filter. great for recording vocals, and instruments.
Keyboard: Kurzweil RG20 and USB midi cable.
this is by no means where i want to stop. i do have an idea to get some other stuff in the future like upgrading to a Roland AC-33 acoustic guitar busking amp. some sort of looper effects vocal combo pedal. or similar setup. and a few other things i have seen out there but i am also content with what i currently have and am in no way wanting to rush into buying just for the sake of things. I believe you should use what you have and be happy and even find new interesting ways to use it. Think outside the box and be creative. you never know the possibilities.

So what do you think of this setup, ask me anything you like about my gear and stuff. I would also love to hear about your setup.

To find out about me and my musical self visit.
Facebook: Music Mike
SoundCloud: Music Mike
if nothing much is going on i will eventually get back to recording more stuff and hope to bring amazing tracks and things.
You need a real amp
Old 03-27-2014, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Default A Rig to Gig

Aloha,

I only bring what I need for the gig.

Guitars: Three self-made OO/OOO sized Koa guitars - all 30+ years old. Currently building three new ones. At times, I also bring many other types of instruments: ukes, banjoes, hammered dulcimers, mandolins, etc.

Dual-Source Guitar Amplification Systems: K&K Mini Pickup/AKG 416 hyper internal mics in all three gigging guitars.

External mic: In quieter settings, I'll add a JW-modded AKG 460 condenser or Heil PR 35 dynamic mic at around 4-8" away at the 18th fret. DR Pro low profile stand.

Preamp: Pendulum SPS-1 w/ PU-Mic plug-in module. The best live acoustic guitar preamp available, IMO. Fully parametric EQ prevents ALL feedback in ALL settings I've played to date. Greg's module is pure genius. 1 rack space.

FX: TC Electronics M-2000 Dual Engine Stereo FX Processor. I only use very light doses of FX in most cases, with few exceptions. This unit offers unbelievable control and over 500 presets. 1 rack space.

Power amp: Parasound 2125. Smooth, cool running. 2 rack spaces.

Speakers: Koa Daedalus W803's. Best I've ever heard. Very nice in small, intimate venues up to 2,000 capacity auditoriums. Proel stands & heavy covers.

Portable Rack: Odyssey BR-418 4-space portable rack with built-in HD handle and wheels. The preamp, FX unit & power amp are easily transported & controlled in this rack.

Cables: Canare/Neutrik, Mogami, Planet Waves.

Vocal Mics: AKG 535 condenser (often). Heil PR 35 dynamic (often). K&H stands.

Loud/Band Gig Pickup: If it gets loud at a gig, I slap in a Duncan Magmic SA-6 magnetic soundhole pickup & either use alone or blend w/ the K&K. I turn off all instrument mic's. Nice sound. No feedback. Not as natural sounding as my regular pickup system. Great for loud settings, tight stages & slide blues.

Accessories: Shubb Capos, self-made glass slides, National thumbpicks, large Fender medium flatpicks, mixed light/medium D'Addario's or sometimes TM GHS's, acrylic nails. CMC music stand w/ Mighty Bright flexible stand lights.

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 03-27-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:06 PM

Way to much to list, but what I use is:
Martin GPCpa4R> Radial Pz deluxe/Boss RV-5, DD-7, Ch-1, CS-3, RC-3 and TU-3.
Using either Fishman loudbox artist or big PA provided when I play.

I use a Heil pr35 mic, using whatever stand is available.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:42 PM

Default Signal Chain

OK, I’ll play. I’m definitely not finished. In fact, I’m not even really started, since I don’t have the pedal board put together yet. Right now, I’ve just got a few items loose on the floor, with no power supply or board. The plan will be to mount all of the floor units onto a board and use the rack effects through the board. Still need a looper and possibly some other effect to add some color and drama – maybe the Earthquake Devices unit that combines a delay with a ‘verb. Or, I might just go all out and get a Big Sky.

Anyway, here's the whole thing:

Here's a close-up of the "critical" pieces:

The mixer is a little Mackie unit. The PA speaker is a JBL PRX series powered cabinet. (I have the 12" cabinet out, which is what I use for monitoring.) Then, on the floor I have a TC Helicon Voicelive 2. It gets a signal from the guitar just to provide information about the chords of the songs for the harmonizer patches. All of the actual FX processing of the guitar and main voice are accomplished elsewhere. It functions purely as a harmonizer at this point, although I haven’t ruled out determining that it can do some other useful things for either vocal and/or guitar.

The guitar goes into either an Ultrasound DI+ or a Takamine DI+. The Takamine DI is made by Radial, but is branded Takamine. That DI is used with my Takamine TAN 15C. It provides phantom power to the CoolTube in the Tak, which eats batteries like nobody's business. This unit is much cleaner than the Ultrasound which sounds good with the darker voicing of the Takamine. The Ultrasound sounds much warmer, and is used for the Larrivée LV-03R, which I would consider my “primary guitar.” The Tak offers more of a special tonal color that is good for some songs. But the Larrivée is the “work horse.” Vanilla and chocolate. I will probably add a small utility mixer to put the two signals together so they can feed a common effects loop. The TC Electronics Arena Reverb pedal then goes in the loop. (The little Boss pedal board that you see is only for my electric rig. It's only here because the Boss Noise Suppressor provides power to the reverb pedal. It is, in other words, my “power supply” until I can get a dedicated one for the new board.)

The rack gear is not directly in the signal chain on the floor. These units are inserted through the mixer. There are two Rane processors - a 5 band parametric and a DC24 two channel compressor, and two Lexicon MX series FX processors, one of which – the MX 400 – is a dual stereo unit (so, 4 processors total). This is where most of the processing goes on for both Vox and Gtr. I have a pedal unit for stepping through patches for the MX400. My plan is to use the Rane parametric EQ to set up a side chain compression using one channel of the Rane DC24. The Larrivée is capable of putting out an incredible amount of volume from the bass strings, particularly when amplified, and I want to tame that a little bit. The other channel of the Rane compressor will be for my voice. Even when recording, when I have access to all kinds of cool simulations of vintage compressors, I ALWAYS use the DC24 for a small amount of tracking compression, just because I love how it sounds on my voice.

For the Lexicon units, I would plan to use the single stereo unit as a dedicated vocal processor. This will set up my basic vocal sound (in addition to the compression from the Rane DC24). Then, that would feed into one side of the dual stereo unit. So, I’m stacking two reverb units for vocals – one set to be constantly on and the other for some extra zing. The other channel will provide processing for the guitar. Although it is capable of doing chorus and flanging and such nonsense, I really don’t favor those kinds of FX for acoustic guitar. I would just be using various reverb patches and maybe some delay from time to time. There are still LOTS of interesting sounds you can get with these options. And remember that I have a pedal for changing patches on the double stereo unit, so I can have both the guitar and vocal FX change during the set.

Now, you might wonder why, with all that processing horsepower going on, that I even bought the TC Electronics reverb pedal. The reason is that, I do plan on mounting all the floor stuff onto a pedal board. In those situations when I want to take a simpler, less convoluted set up (which would be a lot of times, probably), I would like to still have a nice, basic reverb for the guitar. And in those situations, the ‘verb in the VoiceLive will do for vocal processing. Other than the TC Electronics Arena Reverb, I wouldn’t really have any guitar “effects” on the board – just a couple of DI units and the vocal harmonizer. And for those situations, I would only use one of the DI’s and plug that straight into the effects loop of the DI. And, again, I still plan to add a looper and at least one other pedal for special effects.

Brad
Old 03-29-2014, 11:36 AM

I also play weekly at church. Currently it's very simple:
Ibanez AEL300>live wire DI>one out to house PA & second out to small Ibanez acoustic amp as monitor.

I'm building a pedalboard to sweeten up the sound: Startouch AB > Boss TU3 >Boss GE7 > Zoom A3 > Ditto X2 looper. Signal will then go to my DI as above.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:36 PM

Currently gigging 20x/mo.

Smaller gigs: Bose 1S w/1 B1 bass.
Larger gigs: Soundcraft EFX8 - JBL PRX612's

Pedaltrain Jr:
LR Baggs Venue - TC HoF - TC Flashback - Boss RC2 - TC Harmony Singer
Buscarino Starlight nylon, Martin 000C-RGTE, Godin nylon duet ambiance, Breedlove Bossa Nova, cedar/EIR, Breedlove SC-20, cedar/walnut, Ovation Nylon LX1773, CA Cargo, CA GX, Larrivee 00-03, sitka/hog
Old 03-31-2014, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedtone View Post
You need a real amp
The Line 6 Micro Spider serves its purpose for what i need at the moment. but following on from the Idea to keep things simple, i might as well just get a Roland AC-33 amp this amp has all the features built in that i want to get in the future. as detailed in my other post Guitar / Vocal combo pedal ideas. then when i get this I am good to go for what I essentially do. Later just needing to get a vocal pedal such as the TC Helicon Harmony Singer.

Last edited by mickeyj4j; 03-31-2014 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

my set up is similar to Alohachris'

Guitar with dual source pickup > pendulum preamp > byston amps > Daedalus w803s > acoustic nirvana

also very portable

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 03-31-2014, 09:43 AM

Last gig was just 1 guitar (Gibson J35) and one Amp (Line 6 L2T) 1 mike (Shure 58) 2 cords and a Harmonica box with 6 harps. One trip thanks to an old luggage cart. Mic stand and Speaker stand belong to venue.

Next gig will be ........

2 guitars - Martin D18 Retro and Gibson J35
Porch Board
Line 6 L2T and Fishman Soloamp plus stands
Old sea bag with folding table and stool plus guitar and mic stands
Cable bag with Harp box Ipad and tip jar
All loaded in on a Rocknroll cart, may make it 2 trips in but will pack mule to make it one trip out

https://sites.google.com/site/leebla...<br /> <br />https://www.youtube.com/user/lroyb83
Old 03-31-2014, 10:54 AM

For El Conquistador and Methos1979 or others with info...

Your setups are very intriguing to me. I use and SA220 also, and had not considered that it might benefit from a preamp such as the redeye, or even a passive di, as it's already an acoustic amp. Clearly there's something I'm missing here (not that that's anything new!)

Can you tell me how the redeye improves the guitar sound in the SA220? It looks like I might be able to get better sound than what I already have.

Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification