The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-15-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven and the Dove View Post
Everyone's chimed in on the pickups...but I'm curious, do you love the sound of the guitar when it's not plugged in? I'm not accusing you of this, but I've met so many people who try to EQ out the negative components of their guitars live - like when I'm working on a recording session with someone, whether as a producer, engineer, or session player...and they say, "Don't worry about it, we can fix it in ProTools (or enter any variation on this statement)." I cringe!

I recently ordered a Rare Earth Blend and wasn't able to give it a thorough test run until after the return grace period. I've used many different pickups over the years and have recently seen some of my favorite performers using them...the verdict's still out. The first night I wasn't impressed but to it's defense, it had been a long day and I'd maybe slept 2 hrs in 48 at that point. Last night I spent more time with it, adjusting the mic and trying to optimize the tone before throwing any EQ in the mix. I was pretty happy with it and I hope it'll be even better tonight.

My only initial complaint is how long the lead on it is - what the heck am I supposed to do with all of that cable on the inside?! And, why didn't they design it with a quick release like the LR Baggs systems? If I keep it, I'll most likely splice the lead and add a connector so I can pop it out when I'm not performing live. Since I use all of my guitars for recording and live sessions, having that sucker in there all the time just won't work.

I had the M80 for awhile - it's a nice pickup but I kept hitting it with my pick and fingers. I had the same problem with the other M series as well. They forced me to shift my playing style whereas I didn't notice that with the Fishman.

Ah...and so the journey to natural amplified tone continues. Has anyone tried the new Amulet?
I really have never gone thru the trouble to install electronics into a acoustic which sounds bad w/o any. If anything, the guitar will just sound worse, and louder. Yes I have 9 or 10 Amulets installed, mostly in martins and Larrivees., there are two styles, the stereo and the new M. Placement is everything. Goodluck.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:57 PM

I have the Rare Earth Humbucker and the Baggs MIA and play in a live band setting. I have never been able to get the mid-range nasal quack out of the MIA. I've tried adjusting the pole pieces, but it is too mid rangy for my taste. I originally had it in my J-45 which is mid-rangy to begin with. I then tried it in some of my other guitars in hopes that it was just that guitar. I currently have it in a mahogany Larrivee D-03 but it's still extremely mid-rangy for my taste. I've given up and am trying to sell it.

I've been happy with the Rare Earth humbucker -- dead quiet and battery life is superb. It has been a good choice for me for my live band setting.

2012 Gibson Hummingbird
2013 Gibson J-200
2009 Martin D18v
2004 Martin SWOMGT
2003 Gibson J-100 xtra
2002 Martin HD-28
2001 Alvarez Yairi DY40c
1997 Larrivee D-03
1987 Yamaha FG-450
Old 12-18-2013, 10:47 AM

Default Update

I got the Rare Earth single coil and loved the sound but had problems with buzz from neon lights that made it impossible for me to use it in the type of places I play. So I traded it in for a Rare Earth Humbucker, which I'm extremely pleased with. I think I might have liked the sound of the single coil a little better but that might just be my imagination. Both sound a thousand times clearer and brighter than the Baggs M1A did. And with the K&K pure mini blended in it still sounds plenty warm and acoustic for me. A musician who I played a show with tonight, who's heard me using the Baggs for the last year or two, immediately commented on how much better the guitar sounded. I don't know why the Baggs didn't work for me, and I don't really care. I'm just glad the guitar finally sounds the way I want it to.
If anyone's interested in the Rare Earth single coil, Im selling it on ebay for pretty cheap. It's practically brand new. The neon buzz was a problem for me but if you're using it in a place where you don't have to worry about that, I think it sounds great.

On a related note, I was wondering if the way I have the Fishman installed is a problem. Right now I just have the cord wound up in a little bundle and held to the bottom of the pickup with a rubber band. Using a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter , I have it hooked into the 1/8" inch plug that was left from the Baggs installation. It seems to sound fine but is there reason to think it might sound better if I had it properly installed?
Old 03-30-2015, 09:42 AM

Thanks to those that posted to this thread. I was going to ask the same question and did a search and here was the answer. I am going to order the Fishman Soundhole Humbucker. I will post back what I think about it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification