The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-08-2007, 07:24 PM

I forgot to say that I intend to stick around as AGF is a good forum. It's understandably US/highend orientated, but for some reason, the type of player leans more towards my celtic/folk/fingerstyle than the average UK guitar forum.

David
Old 01-12-2007, 08:11 AM

I have taken delivery of two more since my last post - a small body cutaway rosewood/cedar (a smaller version of the first one I bought, which I have given to my son) and a resonator wooden-body, normal radiussed fingerboard and playing action, not strictly set up for slide.

The small rw/cedar is excellent, with a small issue of slightly flat treble string intonation caused by a split saddle slot not perfectly positioned. This has some interesting effects on open position intonation, which is improved to the point of perfection (no more B on the 5th versus open B on the 2nd clashes) at the expense of intonation above the 12th. However, I'm learning to use this odd minor fault to advantage, as it allows me to microtonally bend the higher treble string notes upwards for perfect pitch, and this is giving better tone and volume plus an optimal vibrato. I don't intend to fix it right now. If it bothers me in future, it will be easily enough fixed as the error is small.

Recording with this guitar:

http://www.soundclick.com/pro/view/0...SongID=4873895

The resonator - I fear probably a waste of money. I do not know much about resonator guitars but it sounds most undistinctive and ordinary. I'll do some homework; it appears to have a mahogany saddle (!) and there's a hole in the top of the 'bridge' which looks as if it is intended for a screw extending down to something in place of this wooden saddle. The top string is dead, the B resonates but buzzes, the basses are very crisp and loud but don't have that unique overtone I expected. It was cheap enough but strikes me more as a stage decoration than a studio tool.

I have a so-called Brazilian rosewood body classical coming next, for the price of a bag of sugar and two pounds of beans. It can not possibly be Braz, or solid, and who makes laminated Braz? But the other guitars have been solid (not the resonator) and have had woods as described.

David
Old 01-16-2007, 05:06 PM

The Brazilian classical has now arrived. It's a very pinkish, pale rosewood to be claimed as Brazilian and the headstock is veneered in the same laminate used for the body and back - rose/maple/rose, very thin; the build is light, with a very traditional Spanish brace pattern and relatively small body. The fingerboard is ebony, and very smooth. The gold-plated strip tuners have partly enclosed worms and are very slick in action. The top is a good grade of spruce, again very thin and not laminated, with a resounding tap tone to the top and body. One tuner button has been repaired, there's one string fitting gouge behind the bridge, and some of the semi-matt finish is a bit marked on the back. Detail quality (even-ness of the wood purfling) is rustic, but without big flaws - just a little hand-made. The bridge is double-drilled for that method of fitting strings, which I have never used before.

This guitar is quite exceptional in sound, with a slightly nasal midtone and a body resonance much higher than normal, around C# to D instead of the usual F# to G. Despite this bias to higher pitches and harmonics, the bass is loud and firm. Overall, it's heading for flamenco brightness but with the ability to play cleanly and be warmer if required. Firm rest strokes produce more volume than required; rasgeudo is lively and with emphasised nail sound due to the high frequency response; free strokes with nail are very dry, loud and bright. Ornaments are unusually well articulated and notes have a long sustain which is surprising given the level of attack.

Overall, for a guitar which cost about the same as the hard case a classical (but came with a hard case too) I'm delighted. It's seen a bit of wear and tear, less than many shop guitars, and was sent with strings well played in. 'New' maybe but I would guess hanging around for a long time.

I've posted a few photos on a pBase gallery for any views on whether this does look like Brazilian rosewood.

http://www.pbase.com/davidkilpatrick/lamaq_classical

David
Old 01-16-2007, 08:06 PM

I've now sold mine for what I paid for it and threw in a soft case. The new owner is delighted but will be getting the nut action seen to.

Lag Autumn Jumbo
Lag Autumn CE Jumbo - Nashville strung
Taylor 614ce
Yamaha NTX700
Taylor GS Mini e

Last edited by Raystrack; 01-22-2007 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:06 AM

I've noticed that Guv'nor guitars have almost the same profile as Lamaq guitars, even same headstock. Is it safe to assume that Guv'nor and Lamaq electro-acoustics come from the same source? If so, is there a notable acoustic diff between the two?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion