The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-25-2014, 11:24 AM

Default acoustic guitar radius help

I am working on my first acoustic guitar build and have gotten to the point of shaping the radius on the fretboard. I have a 9.5 radius block that a friend used to radius his electric guitar, but I am not sure if this is too tight of a radius for my acoustic?
Old 10-25-2014, 01:36 PM

Really depends on the radius you want. If you want a 9.5" radius you are all set but when it comes time to doing the saddle you would extend the radius to it and shape it accordingly. I think some of the elder statesmen guitar builders here use a plane and put in whatever radius they want, I am not all that acomplished yet so I just do it with the 12" radius I made.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:11 PM

IMHO 9.5" is a bit much for an acoustic, but it's all about what the player prefers. I tend to stay around 14" +/- on the acoustics I build.
I don't use a radius block. I just plane, scrape, and sand the fingerboard, keeping the edge thickness and the center thickness uniform. With the tapered width, that generates a compound radius that seems to work for me.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
IMHO 9.5" is a bit much for an acoustic, but it's all about what the player prefers. I tend to stay around 14" +/- on the acoustics I build.
I don't use a radius block. I just plane, scrape, and sand the fingerboard, keeping the edge thickness and the center thickness uniform. With the tapered width, that generates a compound radius that seems to work for me.
I figured John would reply on this one. ;-)

I do the same as John. It is easy to do by scribing a pencil line the desired distance down from the edge of the fingerboard. I do about 0.7mm down from the fingerboard edge. You can start with a little, then add a bit more until it gets to the point where you are comfortable with it.

This method will yield a compound radius with very little effort.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 10-26-2014, 03:24 PM

Smile

That's what I needed to know, thanks!
Old 10-27-2014, 06:07 AM

My standard is a compound radius but my personal guitar has a 10" on it because that is my personal preference.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:02 PM

When I first started putting time into playing I preferred a flat board similar to a classical. Now that I cannot afford time to practice technique I prefer a "compound" radius, but not as radical as some. Standard I do 10"-14" or 12"-16". I built a jig for this, which is actually faster than setting up the CNC, though the CNC allows easier customization (I've even experimented milling relief into some fretboards.)
Old 10-29-2014, 06:52 AM

I used to like a flat board as well but started playing on a 16in and now I typically do the compound radius as was mentioned. I tried a 20 on classical guitar but went back to flat.

9.5 would be way too tight for me. To each their own.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair