The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-20-2014, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

Default Fat strat, aka HSS strat?

Tell me about the fat strat? Anyone here own one? Thinking of picking one up and was just wondering what types of tones you get out of your? What kind of music is it best suited for?

Todd
Old 07-21-2014, 09:05 AM

Hey Todd, You can get nearly any tone you want as long as you match the guitar to the pickup, including metal. For example, Dave Murray of Iron Maiden used Dimarzio Super Distortion pickups back in the 80s in his Fender Strat and got great tones plugging into a Marshall (These days he uses the Seymour Duncan Hot Rails pickups, which are "stacked" humbuckers that looks like a single coil).

I think a great option is to have a humbucker bridge with a single coil neck, lots of diversity.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:59 AM

I've always liked a bridge humbucker for soloing and big power chord crunching. On some of my guitars I can tap the humbucker (or the 5-way does it for me depending on the wiring) so that the middle/bridge combo still has a bit of a strat tone...

I have a parts-o-caster with a rail humbucker (DiMarzio Fast Track 2) in the bridge and a gold lace sensor in the middle which also sounds stratty in the combo positions.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
I've always liked a bridge humbucker for soloing and big power chord crunching. On some of my guitars I can tap the humbucker (or the 5-way does it for me depending on the wiring) so that the middle/bridge combo still has a bit of a strat tone...

I have a parts-o-caster with a rail humbucker (DiMarzio Fast Track 2) in the bridge and a gold lace sensor in the middle which also sounds stratty in the combo positions.
I too have a guitar (Strat) with a rail humbucker, the Hotrails, in both the bridge and neck position. It's my Iron Maiden Strat. I kept the single coil in the middle position but a middle single coil doesn't do much for me on its own. The rails are a good alternative to a humbucker.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:46 AM

here's my custom USACG strat build with HSS:

the cool thing about this build, is that even tho it has a humbucker bridge, i have added a Lawrence Wilde "Q" filter to the master tone....
this allows me to change the inductance of the bridge, to a point where it almost sounds acoustic....

with this setup, i can do hard rock..
or completely the opposite, with sweet strat tones on clean or dirt settings.

it is a very powerful setup, no tricks, it just works.

you gotta match your pickups up right, tho.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:43 AM

My main electric is a Tom Anderson Drop Top with 2 stacked HBs and a side by side HB in the bridge position. The Anderson has the "switcheroo" system which has a 3-position mini toggle for each pickup, so you can select each pup (or OFF) individually AND select whether each pickup is in split, parallel or in series. It also has a separate mini toggle just for activating the bridge Humbucker (in series) for doing solos etc. It sounds complicated, but in reality I think it is a very intuitive and simple arrangement.

So I have mine configured to have each pickup in split mode in the "up" position of each mini-toggle - which is like a single-coil. They are OFF in the middle position, and in series in the lower position - which is like a stacked humbucker.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:01 PM

Those are some nice strats! TA always seems to get his hands on the nicest figured maple...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars