The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-31-2024, 11:29 PM

Default Going to USB microphones

I’ve had quite enough of trying to deal with my UAD Apollo Twin, and no wish to return to its high-latency predecessor, a Scarlett USB. It works okay, with lots of tedious tweaking, for electronic instruments. I just want to record my voice and guitar without any more stress from this machine or its cousins. I have had enough pain.
Towards that end, IÂ’m going to switch to USB microphones. I have a Blue Snowball, which is fine for what it is, but I think I can do better. In terms of mics you can plug directly into your computer, what would you recommend under $300?
Further Rant
I suppose IÂ’m still stuck with the UAD for recording electric guitar, which is unpleasant but merely a fact I will have to deal with. And to anyone else unwilling to fiddle for many, many hours with tech, or lacking an intuitive grasp of this kind of kit, I heartily recommend fleeing as far as possibly from Universal Audio.
I know what it’s like to have an intuitive grasp, by the way. I can pick up any word processing program or spreadsheet and make it run without looking at a manual. But responses along the lines of “I don’t know what your problem is, mate, it’s all quite obvious to me and never had a problem” should be put in the circular file before posting.
I do however admit that if there is something I can use that is NOT UAD and NOT Scarlett and that is easy to run, I’d be eager to hear about it. But the tedium of using the UAD “Console” app is just too much — I wish I had looked at their videos first. It’s clearly a company run by engineers, and I have no doubt it works extremely well for guitar-playing, singing engineers.
Old 03-31-2024, 11:52 PM
Charter Member

Hmm, I turn my Apollo on, fire up Logic (recording software), hit the record button and start playing. Curious what issues you have that you've decided are unresolvable.

USB mics can be simpler, I guess, but I'd take them as a step down from a comparably priced non-USB mic (you're paying for the interface inside the mic as well as the mic), and the electronics inside the mic surely won't be of the quality of your Apollo. Depending on what you're doing that may or may not matter.

You can easily go to Sweetwater and see pretty much every USB mic available. Most are aimed at podcasters, not really recording, tho they should work.
Old 04-01-2024, 12:52 AM

I read your entire post and still want to say that along with thousands of others, I use an Apollo and have never had the problems that you do. I've also been recording for more than a couple decades.

It's easy to sound insulting online but I think yours is a problem of operator error and one that can be fixed with a greater knowledge of recording: a fairly complex bunch of things that need to be understood to get good results, whether you're using an interface or USB mic.

PS - Once you get a handle on the UA Console it's not that often that you'll need to open it again. If you know someone who also does recording maybe you could get their help in setting it up. Anyone with some experience, regardless of whether they use an Apollo themself, might be able to help.

Last edited by runamuck; 04-01-2024 at 12:59 AM.
Old 04-01-2024, 01:31 AM
Charter Member

I see I violated the Circular File rule. Sorry, but people here actually can help, if you want.
Old 04-01-2024, 03:39 AM
Charter Member

Sorry to hear your frustrations. Being new also, (I guess we’re ALL relatively new in regards to digital), Ive had my share of hurdles. Rest assured youre not alone. This forum has helped me many times.

One thought that hit me while reading your post, is have you considered a different DAW might be more to your liking? Im no studio engineer, but have got my UA Volt and Scarlett 18i20 doing what I need. I have tried several DAWS, and found my “home” with Reaper. Tons of well produced vids out there.

Another option is a field type recorder with internal mics or accepting of external mics of your choosing. Then load files into DAW.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 04-01-2024, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstorecowboy View Post
I’ve had quite enough of trying to deal with my UAD Apollo Twin, and no wish to return to its high-latency predecessor, a Scarlett USB. It works okay, with lots of tedious tweaking, for electronic instruments. I just want to record my voice and guitar without any more stress from this machine or its cousins. I have had enough pain.
Towards that end, IÂ’m going to switch to USB microphones. I have a Blue Snowball, which is fine for what it is, but I think I can do better. In terms of mics you can plug directly into your computer, what would you recommend under $300?
Further Rant
I suppose IÂ’m still stuck with the UAD for recording electric guitar, which is unpleasant but merely a fact I will have to deal with. And to anyone else unwilling to fiddle for many, many hours with tech, or lacking an intuitive grasp of this kind of kit, I heartily recommend fleeing as far as possibly from Universal Audio.
I know what it’s like to have an intuitive grasp, by the way. I can pick up any word processing program or spreadsheet and make it run without looking at a manual. But responses along the lines of “I don’t know what your problem is, mate, it’s all quite obvious to me and never had a problem” should be put in the circular file before posting.
I do however admit that if there is something I can use that is NOT UAD and NOT Scarlett and that is easy to run, I’d be eager to hear about it. But the tedium of using the UAD “Console” app is just too much — I wish I had looked at their videos first. It’s clearly a company run by engineers, and I have no doubt it works extremely well for guitar-playing, singing engineers.

Sorry to hear of your frustration. You don't mention what computer or what DAW you are using ( can be very relevant info) For productive suggestions

And unfortunately your experience with computer word processing and spread sheets, is of marginal to no relevance, to running a DAW based recording system. For the most part the only thing they have in common is launching an application and copy and paste
I have built residential houses since 1967, and can easily design and build a completely comfortable totally functional house without ever looking at a set of plans ---- BUT trust me you do not want me building your guitar

Which is all to say your frustration and blame of the gear and software while understandable is all but guaranteed to be self inflicted and misplaced
But since you do not wish to address that reality ---- so in answer to your question

Given any USB mic is going to be compromise at any given price point compared to a regular mic., because of cost of the built in converters and pre-amp

So with that caveat out of the way
The Shure SM7db @ $500 would be the least expensive USB mic I would even consider.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 04-01-2024 at 07:27 AM.
Old 04-01-2024, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstorecowboy View Post
Further Rant
I'd be remiss if I didn't offer the suggestion of using a dedicated recorder to capture audio and using the computer for editing within a DAW environment.

I've been doing this for years and MUCH prefer a dedicated recorder that is built for the task. Not having to work anchored to a specific spot or putting up with the proclivities of a machine designed to play games, answer e-mail, web surf, do word processing, CAD drawing, and ALSO record low latency audio is so worth having a dedicated recorder.

I have a few, but do peruse the "Zoom R4, anyone else?" topic to get an idea of what I'm relating here.

You might not have any interest it that, but I'm throwing it out for others who might have similar aggravations with "computer recording".
Old 04-01-2024, 11:27 AM

I’m always inclined to help in these situations. I have a unique background that often helps when setting up interface/software scenarios that are frustrating. For qualification and first and foremost I tech supported for Digidesign/Avid for some years. I’m certified in Logic and Pro Tools. I’ve also spent the last 23 years mixing for television and motion pictures. I've installed dozens (if not more) systems over the years, some incomprehensibly complex.

What I don’t understand here is, that if in fact solid responses and replies are merely fodder for your circular file, why even post? That said however I’ll add to your circular file. As has been mentioned I can’t think of a more solid company, making more in-roads to not only hardware but software as well than UA. I'm positive beyond positive that the problem is not Universal Audio. So, as was almost ALWAYS the case when supporting for Pro Tools, until the customer was willing to stop looking under the wrong rock for answers, the problems would remain in moveable.

As Doug mentioned there are folks here more than capable and more than willing to help. Coming at this situation from the standpoint of I'm just gonna throw your help and suggestions into the garbage can, for me, makes little sense. As always, however, I'm available for help.
Old 04-02-2024, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I see I violated the Circular File rule. Sorry, but people here actually can help, if you want.
No worries, I was in tech hell there and do have a sense of humor about all this.
Old 04-02-2024, 07:31 AM

I really appreciate that (no irony).
The main post was about recommendations for USB microphones, not the sourpuss rant I appended, labeled as a rant.
But since you asked, I just don't find Console at all intuitive. That is perhaps a pathetic complaint . . . I don't deny it.
I appreciate, again, the offer of help. Once I have organized my thoughts and put the problems in a concise form, I will ask again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
I’m always inclined to help in these situations. I have a unique background that often helps when setting up interface/software scenarios that are frustrating. For qualification and first and foremost I tech supported for Digidesign/Avid for some years. I’m certified in Logic and Pro Tools. I’ve also spent the last 23 years mixing for television and motion pictures. I've installed dozens (if not more) systems over the years, some incomprehensibly complex.

What I don’t understand here is, that if in fact solid responses and replies are merely fodder for your circular file, why even post? That said however I’ll add to your circular file. As has been mentioned I can’t think of a more solid company, making more in-roads to not only hardware but software as well than UA. I'm positive beyond positive that the problem is not Universal Audio. So, as was almost ALWAYS the case when supporting for Pro Tools, until the customer was willing to stop looking under the wrong rock for answers, the problems would remain in moveable.

As Doug mentioned there are folks here more than capable and more than willing to help. Coming at this situation from the standpoint of I'm just gonna throw your help and suggestions into the garbage can, for me, makes little sense. As always, however, I'm available for help.
Old 04-02-2024, 07:32 AM

A dedicated recorder is a great idea, and one I shall explore. I have a Sony now and will try to get that going.
Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I'd be remiss if I didn't offer the suggestion of using a dedicated recorder to capture audio and using the computer for editing within a DAW environment.

I've been doing this for years and MUCH prefer a dedicated recorder that is built for the task. Not having to work anchored to a specific spot or putting up with the proclivities of a machine designed to play games, answer e-mail, web surf, do word processing, CAD drawing, and ALSO record low latency audio is so worth having a dedicated recorder.

I have a few, but do peruse the "Zoom R4, anyone else?" topic to get an idea of what I'm relating here.

You might not have any interest it that, but I'm throwing it out for others who might have similar aggravations with "computer recording".
Old 04-02-2024, 07:34 AM

Thanks, I was not even aware they had a USB version!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Sorry to hear of your frustration. You don't mention what computer or what DAW you are using ( can be very relevant info) For productive suggestions

And unfortunately your experience with computer word processing and spread sheets, is of marginal to no relevance, to running a DAW based recording system. For the most part the only thing they have in common is launching an application and copy and paste
I have built residential houses since 1967, and can easily design and build a completely comfortable totally functional house without ever looking at a set of plans ---- BUT trust me you do not want me building your guitar

Which is all to say your frustration and blame of the gear and software while understandable is all but guaranteed to be self inflicted and misplaced
But since you do not wish to address that reality ---- so in answer to your question

Given any USB mic is going to be compromise at any given price point compared to a regular mic., because of cost of the built in converters and pre-amp

So with that caveat out of the way
The Shure SM7db @ $500 would be the least expensive USB mic I would even consider.
Old 04-02-2024, 07:40 AM

I should look into alternatives to Logic although after sweating blood with it all this time it's painful to consider moving on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Hmm, I turn my Apollo on, fire up Logic (recording software), hit the record button and start playing. Curious what issues you have that you've decided are unresolvable.

USB mics can be simpler, I guess, but I'd take them as a step down from a comparably priced non-USB mic (you're paying for the interface inside the mic as well as the mic), and the electronics inside the mic surely won't be of the quality of your Apollo. Depending on what you're doing that may or may not matter.

You can easily go to Sweetwater and see pretty much every USB mic available. Most are aimed at podcasters, not really recording, tho they should work.
Old 04-02-2024, 07:45 AM

The Rode 5th Generation NT1 might be a good option in a USB microphone.
The NT1 has always been a pretty good bet for an affordable high quality low noise LCD, and the 5th generation adds USB connectivity as well as 32 bit float output.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...p-filter-black
Old 04-02-2024, 07:46 AM

Guys, I will confess that apparently everything was fixable and then was fixed by doing a hardware reset of the Apollo. Why this should be necessary, I don't know, but I don't think I will forget again.

Perhaps this kit should come with a very large warning that pops up every three months: "If you can't record a microphone but other stuff works, and you are going crazy trying to fix me, just do a hardware reset."

It doesn't, though.

I found out about the reset by an online search where it came up after about 20 other suggestions.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD