The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-11-2014, 11:07 PM

Default Just did my first open mic (stage)

I've been trying to get up the nerve to do this for awhile and have been attending the same venue for sometime now. They call it an open stage because there are no microphones as it is a very small room. I've broached this subject before on the forum and as you would expect everyone says just go for it. One of my issues has been there are some really good players there and I always felt a little intimidated by them (didn't want to have to follow them). I do public speaking for a living so being in front of people is nothing new but I also need to be very confident in what I am going to do and playing and singing are a far cry from my usual shtick. Anyway, I went there last week and it was a rather sparse crowd with none of the exceptionally talented folks there. I had a business appointment this evening fairly close by so I decided to bring my guitar with me on the odd chance that I would encounter the same scenario as last week, which I did. At first I was a bit hesitant and then decided if not now when, so I put my name on the list which was pretty short. You get to play 1 song in rotation so I played "Long Black Veil" and felt very comfortable doing it. I then decided I would go for a second song on the next go round and did "My Old Yellow Car" (made somewhat popular by Dan Seals but written by Thom Schuyler, also the writer of 16th Avenue and made popular by Lacy J. Dalton. All in all a very good experience with no major flubs and very happy to have finally gotten up there and faced that fear. I am sure that I will be doing this again. Just wanted to share with all the good folks on the forum that are so encouraging.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:20 PM

Thumbs up

That's awesome bud. I've never done one, but I can't sing to save my life so.... Congrats on attaining a milestone in your musical journey.

Plan on doing more?

Gibson J15 Walnut Burst // Taylor 210 // Sigma 000m-15s // Washburn R320 // Guild g9100/g9110 (Ukes) // Epiphone M-30s (Mando)
Old 09-12-2014, 01:03 AM

Bravo! !!!
Old 09-12-2014, 01:23 AM

Great! You're on your way now!
Old 09-12-2014, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxguy View Post
I've been trying to get up the nerve to do this for awhile and have been attending the same venue for sometime now. They call it an open stage because there are no microphones as it is a very small room. I've broached this subject before on the forum and as you would expect everyone says just go for it. One of my issues has been there are some really good players there and I always felt a little intimidated by them (didn't want to have to follow them). I do public speaking for a living so being in front of people is nothing new but I also need to be very confident in what I am going to do and playing and singing are a far cry from my usual shtick. Anyway, I went there last week and it was a rather sparse crowd with none of the exceptionally talented folks there. I had a business appointment this evening fairly close by so I decided to bring my guitar with me on the odd chance that I would encounter the same scenario as last week, which I did. At first I was a bit hesitant and then decided if not now when, so I put my name on the list which was pretty short. You get to play 1 song in rotation so I played "Long Black Veil" and felt very comfortable doing it. I then decided I would go for a second song on the next go round and did "My Old Yellow Car" (made somewhat popular by Dan Seals but written by Thom Schuyler, also the writer of 16th Avenue and made popular by Lacy J. Dalton. All in all a very good experience with no major flubs and very happy to have finally gotten up there and faced that fear. I am sure that I will be doing this again. Just wanted to share with all the good folks on the forum that are so encouraging.
I'm glad it worked out for you. It will get easier.

steve
Old 09-12-2014, 01:21 PM

That's great, and I'm glad you had a positive experience. There will be a time when it won't be, but don't let it get you down. Control the things you can ... use the best gear you can afford, know your material, keep a positive attitude on stage (no matter what's going on!). Go back again and again. Your playing will almost magically improve just from participating.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:00 PM

Playing out is great. It sharpens your skills like nothing else. Have fun with more of the same!
Old 09-12-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
My favorite line in this whole post - sounds EXACTLY like I would think

Congratulations. I need to do the same
Old 09-29-2014, 11:51 AM

well done . Keep at it

Carmelo
Old 10-01-2014, 12:47 AM

Well done! I have a similar session coming up this Sunday (about my fourth try), and it does get easier after that first big one, but still brings on the nerves. Keep at it -it's very rewarding!

2016 Maton 808C 70th Anniversary Edition (Australian Blackwood and Sitka Spruce)

1969 Maton FG100 (Mahogany & Sitka Spruce)
Old 10-01-2014, 03:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
That's great, and I'm glad you had a positive experience. There will be a time when it won't be, but don't let it get you down. Control the things you can ... use the best gear you can afford, know your material, keep a positive attitude on stage (no matter what's going on!). Go back again and again. Your playing will almost magically improve just from participating.
Hey phxguy:
Thanks for sharing your story, and the un plugged vibe of this open stage sounds like the perfect first open stage. What RusyAxe stated above is kinda true, especially in places were you plug in. The sound might not be to your liking and that can throw you off. But the rewards I found are worth the risk.

Congrats
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 10-01-2014 at 05:49 AM.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

That's great to hear… congratulations! Hope there are many more open mics in your future.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:14 AM

Default went back and did it again

Thanks everyone for the positive and encouraging comments. I went back the next week and did Sam Cooke's "Wonderful World" and Fred Neil's version of "Shake Sugaree" titled "I've Got a Secret (shake sugaree)" a great song if you've never heard it. They both went over well and it was another very positive experience. I'm working on a couple more songs and plan to give those a go after a bit more polishing.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the positive and encouraging comments. I went back the next week and did Sam Cooke's "Wonderful World" and Fred Neil's version of "Shake Sugaree" titled "I've Got a Secret (shake sugaree)" a great song if you've never heard it. They both went over well and it was another very positive experience. I'm working on a couple more songs and plan to give those a go after a bit more polishing.
Phxguy, I'm also in the valley and have tried my hand at open mics. Would you be comfortable naming the venue you play at? If not what side of town?

I have given up most of the open mics now,( just wasn't comfortable at it) but do play at the library acoustic jams.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Sounds like you're hooked, pal.... Have fun!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write