The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-27-2014, 10:25 PM

Default Windy And Warm Learning Help

So been trying to learn this song for over a week now, play it every day for about 10-15 minutes (for some reason the A minor really cramps up fast with this song).
I don't seem to be getting the hang of doing the base line with my thumb, or having the thumb be a little independent of the fingers. I know its a trick tune and I am more than happ to give myself the time to learn it, actually quite enjoying the challenge, however I do feel like I am missing something.

Any advice on how to learn this?

Cheers,
Si
Taylor: GS Mini
Maton: 225
Traveler Guitar: Escape Mark III
Epiphone: 220
Old 08-27-2014, 10:45 PM
Charter Member

My first google hit

https://www.google.com/search?source....0.y0GJfUbXWqI

There is so, so much out there already on learning this particular tune. Check out a few videos and find those that click with you. Work on the easier versions first.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 08-28-2014, 08:35 AM

Hey Rick,

Thank heaps for your reply, I appreciate you taking the time.

I have actually been through 2 of those videos already, I also have a subscription to DanCHolloway fingerpicking videos, which is where I am mostly leaning it from.
That said, the video pretty much just gives you the notes to play. I can already play the first verse from memory, what I cant do is speed the whole thing up, or get my fingers to act independently from my thumb. I figure there has to be drills and stuff for that?
Old 08-28-2014, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Do the first verse(s) (including string bend and slide) until you get to speed. The key to timing the whole piece (in many versions anyway) is there.

Here is a way I do the beginning (with a slide rather than a bend) going out of the Am chord shape to do it:
(timing not indicated)

Or you could do a little bend and slide as here:

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 08-28-2014 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:05 PM

Nice tabs man, there a lot cleaner than what i already have. I do the bend cos I am bad ***
Well it looks like i just need to keep on pluggin, at the moment it just feels like it will take forever to get the hang of!!!
Old 09-01-2014, 06:28 PM

Any tune that requires thumb independence is going to be tough. It took me a month of playing Day Tripper everyday for my fingers to get coordinated correctly, then another month to refine it so it sounded decent. It will happen eventually as long as you consistently put practice time in.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:44 PM

Record yourself doing it. Nobody will criticize your playing and the advice can be specific to what's really happening
Dean EABC5
Gretsch 9121
Lag TN100 Nylon
Recording King RO-10
Recording King RP-06

https://soundcloud.com/search?q=Smokerblacker
Old 09-02-2014, 03:49 PM

Hi Aussi,
I'm learning this song too and I found benefit from going really really slow, almost mechanically moving fingers without thinking at the music, but only the tab. Once you do it without need to focus, let's say automatically, speed it up and open your ears.. After a while you'll find yourself improvising and keeping the bass line.. it took over a month to me with similar daily training as yours...
Old 09-07-2014, 01:53 AM

Oh thanks guys, its good to know i am not the only on with slow progress on this song.

@Villamarzia I know exactly what you mean, I am doing exactly this instinctually, each time i pick up the guitar i start REALLY slow and gradually build up pace and then at about the 10 minute mark i try play it at full speed mostly because it make me laugh how far i still have to go but I get much close each passing week thats for sure.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:22 AM

If you search for a guy named Jim Bruce on youtube one of his free vids is a good version of w&w, ot as he keeps calling it "warm and windy". He's an easy going, affable old Brit with a laid back teaching style and teaches it around three phrases at a time. He also lives on Skype all day chatting with people about his lessons and will answer and demo any problem areas you might encounter.

Last edited by DaveKell; 09-08-2014 at 03:22 AM. Reason: sp
Old 09-08-2014, 12:26 PM

Go on youtube and look for footage from Tommy Emmanuel's 2000 concert in St. Louis. There's a section in there (I apologize, I don't remember where exactly it was and I can't look it up at the moment) where he does a little primer on how to learn thumb independence. I had trouble with the technique until I tried his method, and that's when it clicked.

Also, I might also advise starting with something easier, like Freight Train.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:17 PM

Thanks dave will look into him.

Quote:
Go on youtube and look for footage from Tommy Emmanuel's 2000 concert in St. Louis. There's a section in there (I apologize, I don't remember where exactly it was and I can't look it up at the moment) where he does a little primer on how to learn thumb independence. I had trouble with the technique until I tried his method, and that's when it clicked.
I have seen this, but I am not sure if mine was the same as yours. He basically just said do the base line without the fingers for a week, then add the fingers?
Old 09-09-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusSi View Post
I have seen this, but I am not sure if mine was the same as yours. He basically just said do the base line without the fingers for a week, then add the fingers?
Well, yes, but when you add the fingers, first you play the whole chord on the first beat of the bar in time with your thumb. But then (and this is the big step), you play a second note with your fingers that is not in time with your thumb. That's the real tricky part, but once you get it down all the other stuff gets much easier. I am not explaining it well, sorry.

Here's the video (about the 43:00 mark): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2s46WA_Hqs
Old 09-11-2014, 09:21 PM

Thanks a bunch for finding that for me GeneK, I had seen it before, but I think I must have watched it before I tried to learn the song itself, and I missed a lot.
I think thats the way to learn it, because the way i am doing it now I am basically just learning the tabs which will never give me finger independence, just the ability to play that one song.
Appreciate you looking it up for me, never would have found it again on my own.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:55 PM

Just came across this randomly and though it worth putting here, Tommy outlines how to learn the independent picking technique specifically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHi8yBb0n3o

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write