The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-10-2014, 09:28 PM

Golf was too easy.....I needed a challenge!
Now a year and a half into this adventure, the only thing I know for sure about guitar, is that it's so much more complex than I imagined, I don't even know what I don't know if that makes any sense. Whenever I get frustrated with my lack of progress, I just remind myself how many hours I spent in my other hobby to get to a certain level. It's all about the journey and every once in awhile being able to make a pleasant sound with this complex piece of wood and nylon!
Old 09-10-2014, 10:30 PM

I loved music and admired songwriters -- Dylan, Springsteen -- so much that I had to try it out for myself. I saw it as a way to write songs, mainly.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:00 PM

Of all the guitar heroes and amazing instrumental works out there, it was Mike Campbell's understated presence in "Mary Jane's Last Dance" that initially turned me on guitar music. I was really moved by the rawness and slight feedback edge in the outro and how well it meshed with the song's various messages. I was just getting bored with video games at that age (15) and looking for something new to occupy my free time. My love for playing acoustic guitar was a later development, but I think those roots were planted by late-era Led Zeppelin tunes, like "Over the Hills and Far Away."
Old 09-11-2014, 07:23 PM

An accident blinded my left eye when I was 8 years old so, I had no depth perception. By the time I turned 10 it was painfully obvious that I was a poor ball player without the critical binary vision needed to hit and catch speeding balls, pucks, and the like. So, I turned to making music playing the trombone, baritone horn and tuba.

This was during the 60s so, it wasn't long before some friends wanted to form a band. Having bass experience I naturally gravitated to bass guitar and was playing in a rock band soon thereafter. By the time I was 15, I was playing bass and 6 string guitar and loving both. I bought my first 12 string acoustic (Gibson) when I was 18 and, that inspired my wife and I to perform in area clubs. We continued performing weekly for a little more than 20 years in clubs all around Western Massachusetts and Connecticut.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 09-11-2014, 08:26 PM

When I started playing?? Girls, mostly.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:33 AM

second grade band I played the clarinet. then I watched the Monkeys and wanted to play the drums bass guitar was just a natural progression and my love for stringed instruments sprang from there . so yes the Monkeys was my inspiration to play music I am not ashamed admit that.. I love you mickey

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write