The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-11-2014, 12:28 PM

Default Ray Chesna theory book - it all makes sense!

Just thought I'd share this with others who might appreciate it (if I tell my family their eyes kind of glaze over by the second sentence - I've been intermittently working my way through some theory in the hope that I could make more sense of the guitar fretboard and how it actually works. Learned quite a bit of general music theory, but little of it that I could see how to apply to the guitar... then came Swannanoa and the theory class taught by Ray Chesna (actually part of contemporary folk week at the same time). Light bulbs started to go off during that class but I haven't really got into it since.

Well it's been a few months, and with the start of the new semester at work, I thought I'd stop goofing off and get back to the theory. Starting with basics in Ray Chesna's book - how chords are constructed. Well yes, I knew it was 1, 3, 5 - so what? next learn the common fretboard shapes on the guitar for minor thirds, major thirds and perfect 4ths (chord intervals)..... yes, got that. Ok now construct chords across the fingerboard starting with the 6th string, then the 5th, then 4th and 3rd........ then repeat with first and second inversions.... (he calls them 135 351 and 513 to avoid confusion) And what shapes pop up? moveable chord shapes, power chords.... honestly I know this stuff is basic, but although I've reviewed explanations for CAGE and Edly's diagrams, this is the first time I've seen where all this stuff comes from and been able to figure it out...
Old 09-14-2014, 08:49 PM

hi creamburmese, it's pretty cool when one's brain start connecting previously separate information. that all sounds like really useful stuff.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:47 PM

Default Need to check it out

Sounds good. I understand the principals but they don't stick in my head.

Also, I have to laugh at your description of your family's reaction to you. It's sooo true. When you meet someone who understands...the light in the eyes, the smile... The heart beats faster... Corny but true.

The forum helps. And my husband recently bought a cello. He's joining the mania! Yay!!! But does anyone buy five cellos?
Old 10-02-2014, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psfam View Post

The forum helps. And my husband recently bought a cello. He's joining the mania! Yay!!! But does anyone buy five cellos?
Not sure, but I'm seriously considering getting myself a starter violin come the holidays. I wonder if they come in different woods......

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:15 PM

Default Four strings

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Not sure, but I'm seriously considering getting myself a starter violin come the holidays. I wonder if they come in different woods......
If you do that you will be able to transition to the mandolin very easily. They both use the same chords.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write