The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-22-2009, 07:05 AM

Default AER Compact 60 STAND: HELP?

Does anyone have a safe sturdy solution for raising the AER Compact 60 up high?
I love my Compact 60, It sounds great, but the way it is rigged for putting it up high is a 3/8" fitting in the bottom for a 5/8" adaptor that a standard mike stand screws into.
I used a regular mike stand with a round weighted bottom, and the whole thing was a delicately balanced disaster waiting to happen. I could just see someone bumping it, knocking it over, braking the stand off and smashing the amp; or, worse case, hitting someont in the head!
Help! Has anyone found a better way to get it up high? I am both bothered by how small the screw in plate in the bottom of the amp is, and how unsteady the stand itself is. Thanks.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:15 AM

I use a tripod base mic stand with my AER Alpha at around waist height with no problem. The amp screw plate is well up to the task, but your mic stand round base has too small a "footprint" for stability I think. I do get some wobble if I want the amp higher, as I then have to extend the upper section of the mic stand, and that is a bit wobbly by the time I get the amp to shoulder height.

Some people have had success with camera tripods I believe, but I have no personal experience of that.

Keith
Old 09-22-2009, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Hi FC...
I use a small X-stand when I sit and a taller one when I stand to bring my amps to shoulder level or just below.

My tall stand't top rails sit about 48'' above the floor, and my short one about 36''. The shorter one is pictured below...

These have proven durable and stable...which are good things with stands. I've never had one even close to being knocked over...

They fold pretty flat and go in the trunk easily...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-22-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi FC...
I use a small X-stand when I sit and a taller one when I stand to bring my amps to shoulder level or just below.

My tall stand't top rails sit about 48'' above the floor, and my short one about 36''. The shorter one is pictured below...

These have proven durable and stable...which are good things with stands. I've never had one even close to being knocked over...

They fold pretty flat and go in the trunk easily...

Where did you get the taller one and about how heavy and large is it folded?
Old 09-22-2009, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

I also have a Compact 60 - where would I get the adaptor to mount it on a mic stand?
Old 09-23-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8daypsalmist View Post
I also have a Compact 60 - where would I get the adaptor to mount it on a mic stand?
From AER. It came with my amp. There is a tapped hole in a small plate in the middle of the bottom of the amp that it screws in to.

I've been looking in to another way to put my amp on a stand because the mike stand method is pretty wobbly.
"Ultimate Support" makes a speaker mounting bracket sold by Planet DJ. It fits on the top of a 1 1/2" tubing speaker tripod. GC sells the tripods that extend to about 6 feet tall. I've ordered the mounting bracket, and plan to make a platform, either aluminum or wood to attach to the bracket and then my amp. I haven't decided exactly how till I see it all, but the mounting bracket has several mounting holes. I figure the only sturdy place on the amp is the original tapped piece of metal, because the rest of the amp is some other material that AER did not use to screw into. I also figure that the combination of screwing into the amp and having the amp rest on a platform should be more sturdy especially with a 1 1/2" tubing tripod. I picture it somewhat like a camera on a tripod screw mount.
Anyone with ideas too?

Last edited by FingerCraft; 09-23-2009 at 08:44 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarolan View Post
I use a tripod base mic stand with my AER Alpha at around waist height with no problem. The amp screw plate is well up to the task, but your mic stand round base has too small a "footprint" for stability I think. I do get some wobble if I want the amp higher, as I then have to extend the upper section of the mic stand, and that is a bit wobbly by the time I get the amp to shoulder height.

Some people have had success with camera tripods I believe, but I have no personal experience of that.

Keith
I'm using the amp where I am not on a stage, and want the amp to be high so the sound is not absorbed by the audience, but goes over them. Usually about 200 to 300 people. So I'd like it to be about 6' high.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8daypsalmist View Post
I got mine from:
Coyner Musical Instruments
25752 Encanto
Laguna Hills, CA- 92653
Phone: +1 (949) 831 - 7322
Fax: +1 (949) 831 - 3851
fcoyner [at] earthlink.net
Old 09-23-2009, 11:17 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Andy!
Old 09-24-2009, 12:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingerCraft View Post
Where did you get the taller one and about how heavy and large is it folded?
Hi FC...
It folds fairly flat and it is about 4 feet long when folded. Got it at Musician's Friend for about $15

Hope this helps...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification