The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 12-02-2014, 10:39 AM

Default Looking to purchase Mandolin - Can I do better than this?

I play guitar and am looking to start playing the Mandolin.

MF has the Kentucky KM-150 for $215.56 ( http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-...cky%20mandolin ) and I'm wondering if the 17% "Cyber Savings" will apply but I haven't called yet. Even if the 17% discount doesn't apply is there anything in the same price category that would be a better starter mandolin?

Thanks
Old 12-02-2014, 12:25 PM

I've not played a Kentucky personally but on the Mandolin Forum they get great reviews. In fact these are probably considered about the best beginning uke at these prices.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:51 PM

No, in that price range. The km-150 is widely regarded as best in class. It's a good deal for full retail price. I you can get the 17 off, that's icing on the cake.

I suggest you check out these sites for learning

Mandolessons.com. (Teaches you by ear so that you don't have to rely on tabs too much)
Mandozine (lots of good exercises, and LOTS of tabs if your into that)
Banjobenclark (not free, but well worth the price imo)
Old 12-02-2014, 12:56 PM

A great choice. Just weigh the cost of adding a set up. Some places will charge a little more but include a set up.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingoccc View Post
A great choice. Just weigh the cost of adding a set up. Some places will charge a little more but include a set up.
The Mandolin Store, for example. They make a big deal about their setup, and it no doubt adds to their selling price, which is $299 with a hard case.

1977 Martin M-38
1982 Stelling Staghorn
2013 Larrivée D-40R
2014 Andrew White Eos 1011 (sold)
2016 Pisgah Possum
Old 12-02-2014, 04:11 PM

For second, third, and fourth opinions you can always toddle over to the Mandolin Cafe, which is the mandolin world's counterpart to this site.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/
Old 12-02-2014, 05:47 PM

The thing about musiciansfriend is they don't have a soul who knows how to setup a mandolin, they might not even have anyone who knows how to setup a guitar.

I'd personally rather buy from the mandolin store. They're a great shop and your gonna want to have or setup either way. Better to have it setup before it even gets to you
Old 12-02-2014, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

most definitely call or email TheMandolinStore.
http://www.themandolinstore.com/scri...st.asp?brand=9

a huge factor in a great playing mandolin that is FUN to play and makes you want to practice, is the setup. plus, they really do look over the instrument and check it out before shipping to you-rather than shipping you a warehouse boxed model.

buy from TMS and receive a primo real setup(not just typewritten print in an advertisement) that gives you a great playing instrument out of the box.

mandolins are very different than guitars, an excellent setup is essential to being happy with the instrument and learning quickly.

tell'm i sent you!

d
Old 12-03-2014, 09:42 AM

Location: Central Va, really, 4 miles from geographical center of the state

I bought my son from here for Christmas last year. At least give it a look and a call. http://www.guitarworksinc.net/STORE/...20Works,%20Inc.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:41 PM

You have already received good information, but I will add my concurring voice. I play in a mandolin quartet with a guy who plays a KM-150. It is a nice instrument. In general, Kentucky makes a good mandolin at a good price from the KM-150 to the KM-1500. I think it is probably the best choice in a sub-$300 mandolin.

I would also suggest buying one from a store that specializes in mandolins. A mandolin is more difficult to set up than a guitar, and a poorly set up mandolin can be essentially unplayable. If you save a few bucks buying from a big box, you will probably wind up paying a local luthier to do it.

The other thing is, if you buy direct from a big box, it may ship without the bridge set. Bridges on a mandolin float; they are only held down by string tension, and if they get knocked over (or if they have never been set in the first place) you will have to adjust the bridge in all three dimensions (forward and backward, side to side, and up and down). It can be a real pain for someone with experience with mandolins. For a beginner, it would be extremely frustrating and time consuming to set properly.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:12 PM

I can't argue... The KM-150 was the first mandolin I bought when the bug got me... Nice little solid wood mando!

Have fun!
Old 12-07-2014, 08:27 PM

I'll re-echo the thought of a set up. Years ago i borrowed a friends mandolin, it was a cheapie but had not been set up. I couldn't figure out how or why anyone would play the mandolin. It was horrible to play. Then a about 5 years ago I went to festival and a guy was selling cheap mandolins that were set up very nicely. I thought, whoa!, now I get it! It was not as good a sounding instrument that I wanted but it played very well. Wasn't long after that I bought an Eastman from mom and pop store who knows how to set them up and have been very happy with it.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:35 AM

Check out this package deal on KM150. The case and 'expert' setup alone is worth $75. Great company to deal with.

They have a periodic 15% off sale if you watch

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/DEAL4.htm
Old 12-08-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-vegas View Post
Check out this package deal on KM150. The case and 'expert' setup alone is worth $75. Great company to deal with.

You bring up a very good point. A case is essential equipment that you will need if you plan on taking your instrument out of your house.

I would think that the minimum amount of equipment you need includes: instrument, case, pick and tuner. You will eventually need strings and a strap, but neither are "essential."

Last edited by posternutbag; 12-09-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-vegas View Post

Thanks for the Tip…I can wait, don't need it today. I'm sure I could do a setup but then I'd still need to buy a case. If I get a 15% discount price on a package deal that would work.

Thank you to all who posted.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments