The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-17-2015, 02:53 PM

Default Controlling Looper on Roland AC 33 amp

I recently purchased an AC-33 amp, and have been getting into the looper feature. I rather hastily got myself a Boss FS-6 pedal, which I'm using so far with a mono cable.
So far so good-I can produce loops using the pedal, and I can overdub onto the loops by pressing it again. What I need now is to be able to STOP the loops, which I can't currently do with the pedal set up as it is. Having read the manual a bit more closely I see it recommends using the Boss FS 5-u (or by the looks of it 2 of them) to control the looper. Do I really need to get yet another thing to go with this already costly rig, or can anyone advise me whether I might get what I want using my current pedal?
Old 11-17-2015, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesguy View Post
I recently purchased an AC-33 amp, and have been getting into the looper feature. I rather hastily got myself a Boss FS-6 pedal, which I'm using so far with a mono cable.
So far so good-I can produce loops using the pedal, and I can overdub onto the loops by pressing it again. What I need now is to be able to STOP the loops, which I can't currently do with the pedal set up as it is. Having read the manual a bit more closely I see it recommends using the Boss FS 5-u (or by the looks of it 2 of them) to control the looper. Do I really need to get yet another thing to go with this already costly rig, or can anyone advise me whether I might get what I want using my current pedal?
hi Jg…
If you want to properly control the looper, you need a TRS-to-TRS cable (stereo ¼" to stereo ¼"). A single mono cable will not let you both record and stop loops. It will only allow you to address the start and dub, but no stop or kill the loop.

You can use either a pair of mono pedals whose cables would need to be joined into a single TRS end (which of course you could buy from Roland), or you can use the FS-6 pedal you already own with a stereo-to-stereo cable. If you look carefully at the diagrams in the owner's manual you will note the difference between the mono and stereo tips on the cables as pictured in the instructions.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-18-2015, 02:20 AM

Hi, was hoping that was the case. I will get the cable and try it out. Many thanks for reply
Old 11-18-2015, 10:41 AM

I am thinking of getting the AC33 mainly for the looper function (don't think I need the battery power). But given the need to buy the footswitch I am also wondering if I should get a Loudbox Mini which retails at about $100 less and a dedicated looper pedal (e.g. Ditto X2) instead. What do you suggest I do?

Last edited by merlin666; 11-18-2015 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:31 PM

The AC33 is a nice little amp. There's good sound from a small package. I keep mine out and available at the house. I've used the looper with limited success (mostly limited by my abilities, not the equipment ). I particularly like the fact that it is battery powered for total portability, though you give up a bit of "muscle" running on batteries. It's a nice piece.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:20 AM

I'd highly recommend the AC 33 for its sound and portability. It's come down in price in UK at least recently as well. The looper does take practice to perfect, but if you can get the timing it's a great thing for a mainly solo player to have.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
amp, looper, pedals, roland ac-33