The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-31-2015, 05:25 PM

Default Gave my Alvarez RF8 a little redo

Got this RF8 a while back as a beater and for backup, $90 from the local pawn. The top had a bad case of sunburn and the bridge was putting a nasty bulge in the top. Otherwise she was in OK shape and played nice, but the action was a tad high. So, I decided to try a top refinish and flatten out the top if possible.

Removed the bridge with a putty knife after applying some heat gun. Took quite a while to hand sand off all the polyester on the top (Being careful not to sand thru the veneer). Then I used an iron with paper to protect the surface from burn marks and got the top 98% flattened. When the finish was all off, it was very thick of course, I found that the sunburn was not in the finish, but in the wood leaving a permanent outline of the moustache bridge and pick guard. that didn't seem too much lighter.

Decided to use can spray Varithane cause it's tough. After the first coat the sunburn got about 3 shades darker. Kind of nice, really.

Added 2 more coats and put the bridge back on. Strung it up and it sounded so, so. Let it dry another 24 hours and strung it up again and this time it sounded very good indeed!

Think it looks kinda cool with the pickguard off and just its sillouette.

Martin DC-1E (gen1)
Laurel Canyon LA-100

Last edited by elroyjetsn; 09-01-2015 at 04:38 AM. Reason: add info
Old 08-31-2015, 07:26 PM

Default Alvarez RF8 redo, Vics preamp install/review

This is the link to the preamp install/review:

Vics preamp install page

Martin DC-1E (gen1)
Laurel Canyon LA-100
Old 09-01-2015, 08:25 AM

Default Sound Clip after the Alvin the RF8 Redo

Me doing some "warmup excercises" on the redone RF8 going direct in to my Fostex MR8. EQ flat and half condenser blend. Just a little verb Yes this is the cheapo Vics preamp...

Alvin's Redoo Maggoo\

Sorry if it's a little frantic and sloppy. I'll try to post something more civilized. It's just so much fun to fiddle around with this guitar...

Martin DC-1E (gen1)
Laurel Canyon LA-100

Last edited by elroyjetsn; 09-01-2015 at 02:04 PM. Reason: disclaimer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
alvarez, laminated wood, refinish, rf8