The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-31-2015, 04:48 AM

Default Scratch repair

I am using my brothers Takamine G series, while my guitar is undergoing surgery. I want to give it to him in better condition than I got it. It's got this nasty scratch on the solid cedar top. I've done drop fill repairs before, but this concerns me because the scratch is lighter in color than the top, and if you wet the crack it doesn't darken...any pointers?

Old 08-31-2015, 05:33 AM

It runs across grain and shows some wood compression. Also looks like a poly finish with some cracks through it. I would first steam as much of the crushed wood fibers back up as possible before any finish fill. If it is poly then CA is the way to fill and touch up but the hairline cracks will always show.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:19 AM

You best plan may be to return the guitar as-is, rather than risking the chance of a serious color change in the cedar when you try to fill the scratch. . .

Frank Ford
Old 08-31-2015, 08:53 AM

The most important thing for non-structural scratches is to seal the wood to prevent dirt and oil from entering and staining further.

Shellac will soak in and darken the cracked area, but it may be preferable for some people (aesthetically) to have the scratch lighter than the top. Different strokes for different folks.

I don't like CA filling much, but others including Frank and Brian use it to great success, so again, there is the question of preference rather than "right or wrong".

Even a scratch like this is not insignificant to drop fill, whether you use CA or lacquer or shellac.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 08-31-2015, 11:52 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ford View Post
You best plan may be to return the guitar as-is, rather than risking the chance of a serious color change in the cedar when you try to fill the scratch. . .
This, and maybe put a new set of strings on it for him.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:43 AM

New set of strings, done!

I'll steam it and see if it lifts a bit, but then I'll rather leave it in peace...

Thank you for the input

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair