The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-21-2013, 03:36 PM

Thanks everyone!

theotigno, thanks to Bobby and everyone else on this thread, the only purchase we needed to make was for boom mic stands, and maybe XLR cables - we'll see. Fortunately, we had all the microphones we needed to properly set up the sound in our church. Our hopes is that in addition to moving the speakers up higher on the ledge, we can also move the mixerboard closer to the musicians as opposed to on the other side of the choir. I'm hoping for the best!

Bobby, I put together a list of things to do this Sunday while at church, please let me know if I should add anything:

Measurements:
- Width of church
- Width of pews
- Width of aisle
- Height of ledge
- Height of main ceiling (not sure about this one)
- Distance from 1st pew to speaker ledge
- EDIT: - Approximate cable run length for Mackies to mixer

Photos:
- Altar facing forward
- Main door facing altar
- Ledge from first pew
- Mic model nos.
- Mackie model no.
- Satellite speaker model no.

Adjustments & Tests
EDIT: - Discuss moving speakers and mixer
- Timed-Off
- Lid Technique
- Increase main fader, pull back channel gain
- 4kHz feedback test

Thanks again so much, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help!

Joe
Old 02-21-2013, 03:49 PM

This is the ultimate case of "the Lord helps those who help themselves"!!! The second coming might happen in Guam at this rate.

Im coming to this church if I ever go to Guam (Im more of a Zen type but whateva!) to hear a place sound as good as it can sound (essentially).

This is an ideal thread: great information; helpful; and very uplifting to read because of the selflessness on both parts (because Bobby could be offering all these thoughts and Joe could just say "yeah but").

Nice work you two! Sam
Old 02-21-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left of Sam View Post
This is the ultimate case of "the Lord helps those who help themselves"!!! The second coming might happen in Guam at this rate.

Im coming to this church if I ever go to Guam (Im more of a Zen type but whateva!) to hear a place sound as good as it can sound (essentially).

This is an ideal thread: great information; helpful; and very uplifting to read because of the selflessness on both parts (because Bobby could be offering all these thoughts and Joe could just say "yeah but").

Nice work you two! Sam
Sam, Thank you for the kind words. I've got a great partner in Joe. Thanks to his sense of responsibility and spirit of community and generosity, he's providing the best sound possible to his church,,,, he got this ball rolling, and we're getting somewhere. The best part is, we're not rushing out and blowing the budget on unnecessary "fixes". We still have a ways to go mind you, and we're still dependent on what the church directors approve, but inch by inch, we're getting there.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:36 PM

Thanks everyone!

theotigno, thanks to Bobby and everyone else on this thread, the only purchase we needed to make was for boom mic stands, and maybe XLR cables - we'll see. Fortunately, we had all the microphones we needed to properly set up the sound in our church. Our hopes is that in addition to moving the speakers up higher on the ledge, we can also move the mixerboard closer to the musicians as opposed to on the other side of the choir. I'm hoping for the best!

Joe, I'm hoping that you'll have enough XLR cables left over, that you won't need to buy any more. You'll need only one XLR-cable from the mixer, to the closest Mackie, then, a second cable from the first Mackie, to the next one. The rig will be run in "mono",,,, not "stereo", There is no advantage whatsoever in running "stereo", and in fact, ir would be detrimental to a good result.

I was unaware that the mixer was on the opposite side of the room. This is good to know. I'm now quite confident that we won't need any new XLR cables.

Bobby, I put together a list of things to do this Sunday while at church, please let me know if I should add anything:

Measurements:
- Width of church
- Width of pews
- Width of aisle
- Height of ledge
- Height of main ceiling (not sure about this one)
- Distance from 1st pew to speaker ledge
- EDIT: - Approximate cable run length for Mackies to mixer

Joe, I'm just trying to get an impression of the room size, and seating capacity, as well as the number of aisles and pews. Do you have only one center-aisle, or, are there also aisles running along the walls, so that people can enter/exit each pew from both ends. I don't need the ceiling measurement per-se,,, just a reasonably good guesstimate. I also don't need a room "measurement",,,, just a pic, to determine the number of pews. If you can get a pic of a single pew when it's fully occupied, we'll know what the seating capacity per pew is. If that can't be done, then just measure the width of one pew, and we'll calculate 2 feet width per person, times the number of pews..

It would be handy to know how many people per pew, are sitting under the "low-ceiling" part of the church. The more pics I can see, the better I'll know what we're dealing with. I also don't need an "aisle" measurement, just a "visual". Same goes for the area in front of the first row, in relation to where the Mackie will be located on the shelf.

Photos:
- Altar facing forward
- Main door facing altar
- Ledge from first pew
- Mic model nos.
- Mackie model no.
- Satellite speaker model no.
That would be very helpful. The more pics, the better. See if you can find out what mics are at the altar, and the pulpit. (lectern??)

Adjustments & Tests
EDIT: - Discuss moving speakers and mixer
- Timed-Off
- Lid Technique
- Increase main fader, pull back channel gain
- 4kHz feedback test

Yes, yes,,,, I need a pic of that piano,,, not only the lid, but also something that will give me an idea of how it's located/ placed.
As for the 4kHz test, I have no idea how you'll go about doing that. Did you download that feedback-trainer I gave you earlier? If so, you can generate a 4kHz tone there, and see if it sounds familiar.

I'm of the impression that there will be no more feedback anywhere,,,,,, "if" the Mackies get relocated.

Thanks again so much, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help!

Joe, you're the guy doing all the hard work,,, I'm just having fun here.... that's just not fair.

Joe[/QUOTE]
Old 02-21-2013, 06:55 PM

Joe, I'm hoping that you'll have enough XLR cables left over, that you won't need to buy any more. You'll need only one XLR-cable from the mixer, to the closest Mackie, then, a second cable from the first Mackie, to the next one. The rig will be run in "mono",,,, not "stereo", There is no advantage whatsoever in running "stereo", and in fact, ir would be detrimental to a good result.
Yup, definitely running these speakers in series/mono (mixer-Lspeaker-Rspeaker) as opposed to in parallel/stereo (mixer-Lspeaker, mixer-Rspeaker). The challenge here is that hopefully when the mixer moves closer to the piano/musicians, it will be right under the Lspeaker so the distance to the Rspeaker would be the same. I think we should have enough XLR cabling, I'll just have to see. In addition, I know some of the XLR jacks on those cables are pretty bad (been yanked around) so splicing or newer jacks (~$2-3 and some elbow grease only!) might be required. No worries on the elbow grease though, in my faith we believe our Lord sacrificed His Son for our sins, the least I can do is resolder the XLR cables in His church!

I was unaware that the mixer was on the opposite side of the room.
If you look at the two pictures again, the mixer is right next to the sacristy door directly under the white satellite speaker - and I sit behind the grand piano to read the music along with my fiance while playing my uke.

Joe, I'm just trying to get an impression of the room size, and seating capacity, as well as the number of aisles and pews. Do you have only one center-aisle, or, are there also aisles running along the walls, so that people can enter/exit each pew from both ends. I don't need the ceiling measurement per-se,,, just a reasonably good guesstimate. I also don't need a room "measurement",,,, just a pic, to determine the number of pews. If you can get a pic of a single pew when it's fully occupied, we'll know what the seating capacity per pew is. If that can't be done, then just measure the width of one pew, and we'll calculate 2 feet width per person, times the number of pews..

It would be handy to know how many people per pew, are sitting under the "low-ceiling" part of the church. The more pics I can see, the better I'll know what we're dealing with. I also don't need an "aisle" measurement, just a "visual". Same goes for the area in front of the first row, in relation to where the Mackie will be located on the shelf.

I've added to the photo list:
- Altar mic model no.
- Piano with lid technique
I think you'll be able to get a good feel of the church layout once I post the picture from the main door at the back looking down the aisle and the exact opposite behind the priest's chair.

As for the 4kHz test, I have no idea how you'll go about doing that.
I'm doing this more for the learning process...and curiosity! I've never learned how to identify and kill feedback so I'm really curious to see how this works. I know that I we won't be able to move the Mackies this weekend, but I will be able to talk to our church folks - starting with our Priest. While the Mackies are still in their current position, I can force feedback by increasing the gain on the condenser after the service. Once I do this, I can see if one of the notches on the mixer's GEQ kills it.

Did you download that feedback-trainer I gave you earlier? If so, you can generate a 4kHz tone there, and see if it sounds familiar.
I haven't downloaded that app just yet. We're getting married in 5 months and every night is spent pretty much going through wedding stuff. I'm hoping to play around with it before Sunday's service to get a feel for what I'll be working with.

Joe, you're the guy doing all the hard work,,, I'm just having fun here.... that's just not fair.
Seriously Bobby & Sam, I read your responses from this morning to my fiance and it gave her goosebumps to hear how kind and helping you all have been. She and I are both so grateful and are truly thankful for this blessing.

Cheers. If you'll accept it: May God bless & keep you in His graces.

Joe
Old 02-21-2013, 11:55 PM

Yup, definitely running these speakers in series/mono (mixer-Lspeaker-Rspeaker) as opposed to in parallel/stereo (mixer-Lspeaker, mixer-Rspeaker). The challenge here is that hopefully when the mixer moves closer to the piano/musicians, it will be right under the Lspeaker so the distance to the Rspeaker would be the same. I think we should have enough XLR cabling, I'll just have to see. In addition, I know some of the XLR jacks on those cables are pretty bad (been yanked around) so splicing or newer jacks (~$2-3 and some elbow grease only!) might be required. No worries on the elbow grease though, in my faith we believe our Lord sacrificed His Son for our sins, the least I can do is resolder the XLR cables in His church!

I was unaware that the mixer was on the opposite side of the room.
If you look at the two pictures again, the mixer is right next to the sacristy door directly under the white satellite speaker - and I sit behind the grand piano to read the music along with my fiance while playing my uke.

Gotcha. When I was looking at that door, I thought I was looking at the side of a loudspeaker. I couldn't make out the "dark form" as a doorway.

I've added to the photo list:
- Altar mic model no.
- Piano with lid technique
I think you'll be able to get a good feel of the church layout once I post the picture from the main door at the back looking down the aisle and the exact opposite behind the priest's chair.

I appreciate that Joe, thank you.

As for the 4kHz test, I have no idea how you'll go about doing that.
I'm doing this more for the learning process...and curiosity! I've never learned how to identify and kill feedback so I'm really curious to see how this works. I know that I we won't be able to move the Mackies this weekend, but I will be able to talk to our church folks - starting with our Priest. While the Mackies are still in their current position, I can force feedback by increasing the gain on the condenser after the service. Once I do this, I can see if one of the notches on the mixer's GEQ kills it.

OK Joe, be careful though. You don't want that feedback to run for more than a second or two (or less) at a time, as this could overheat the voice-coils, and you could seriously damage your loudspeakers.

Did you download that feedback-trainer I gave you earlier? If so, you can generate a 4kHz tone there, and see if it sounds familiar.
I haven't downloaded that app just yet. We're getting married in 5 months and every night is spent pretty much going through wedding stuff. I'm hoping to play around with it before Sunday's service to get a feel for what I'll be working with.

Stop the Presses !!!! This is news,,,,,,,, in fact, it's the best news I've heard in a while. Wow Joe, that caught me totally off guard. Luckily, I didn't have a mouthful of coffee as I read that. (hehehehe)

Joe, considering that news, I'll let you off the hook for not playing with the feed-back trainer. Good for you. We're gonna work doubly hard then, to make sure the "piano-player" sounds as good as we possibly can. My sincere congratulations to both of you.

Seriously Bobby & Sam, I read your responses from this morning to my fiance and it gave her goosebumps to hear how kind and helping you all have been. She and I are both so grateful and are truly thankful for this blessing.

Cheers. If you'll accept it: May God bless & keep you in His graces.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:07 AM

Default Economic condensers for Church choir?

Bobby, I got a bunch of measurements and photos today at the church! Its really late here and we have to be up early to prep the music for service tomorrow but I'll try my best to post it before we head out.

Quick Hit: The timed-off feature of the Mackie SRM450 worked perfectly when I tested it today. Turns off/on just as described in the manual.

Cheers!

Joe

Last edited by joeguam; 02-23-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:30 AM

Bobby,

It's been a crazy day today but just wanted to update you with this awesome news: Our priest agreed to move the Mackie's forward of the mics to the first post! Even better, he's offered to make mounting brackets (he's a carpenter as well) and install them too!

It's getting late so I don't have much time to post each picture nicely, but here's the link to the photo album of all the pictures I took of the church:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/joeguam...7632786437440/
I promise to edit this post and insert the images with comments.

Here are the measurements I took as well:
- Width of church: 58 ft.
- Width of pews: 16 ft.
- Width of aisle: 6 ft.
- Width of under: 12 ft.
- Height of ledge: 10 ft.
- Height of main ceiling: ~20 ft.
- Distance from 1st pew to speaker ledge: 19 ft. (right most seat of pew); 24.5 ft. (center most seat of pew/aisle)
- Cable run from Mackie to mixer: ~110 ft.
- No of pews: 51 total (25 L, 26 R)
- Person per pew: 6-8

Very excited and can't wait to hear your thoughts!

PS...I used the church's Audix dynamic for the lid technique and it sounded absolutely amazing today! The sound of the higher keys were so clear and the pedal release thumb was eliminated. Thanks so much!

Joe
Old 02-24-2013, 11:12 AM

[QUOTE=joeguam;3371609]Bobby,

It's been a crazy day today but just wanted to update you with this awesome news: Our priest agreed to move the Mackie's forward of the mics to the first post! Even better, he's offered to make mounting brackets (he's a carpenter as well) and install them too!

That's great news Joe. That should cure any potential for feedback, once-and-for-all. I hope the carpenter/priest has a good understanding of the weight those brackets have to support, and, that he'll add additional anchoring, to ensure no-one can accidentally pull those speakers down.(maybe a length of cable, through one of the Mackies handles, and fastened to an eye-bolt that's screwed into the wall.)

It's getting late so I don't have much time to post each picture nicely, but here's the link to the photo album of all the pictures I took of the church:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/joeguam...7632786437440/
I promise to edit this post and insert the images with comments.

No need to re-post Joe. These pics are fine for now, and they give me a much better idea of what the room proportions are.

Here are the measurements I took as well:
- Width of church: 58 ft.
- Width of pews: 16 ft.
- Width of aisle: 6 ft.
- Width of under: 12 ft.
- Height of ledge: 10 ft.
- Height of main ceiling: ~20 ft.
- Distance from 1st pew to speaker ledge: 19 ft. (right most seat of pew); 24.5 ft. (center most seat of pew/aisle)
- Cable run from Mackie to mixer: ~110 ft.
- No of pews: 51 total (25 L, 26 R)
- Person per pew: 6-8

Joe, some of these measurements are not quite computing here, especially the one about the distance from the first pew, to the ledge. That may not matter however.

My understanding of the aisles is, you have a 6-foot wide center aisle, and the pews are 16 feet long. That's 38' total. The room is 58 feet wide, so that means you have aisles along the walls, that are 10 feet wide,,, correct? If so, that means roughly one person per pew is seated under that low ceiling.

As for the 110 foot cable-run from the Mackie to the mixer, I presume you're talking the farthest Mackie, and that the mixer will be situated near the piano,,,, roughly between the piano and the choir seats. I'm pretty sure we can shorten that 110 foot cable-run. Sonically speaking, 110 feet is OK, but, I'd like to save you some money and trouble here.

Based on your numbers/measurements, the church seating capacity is roughly 400. The two Mackies should be able to handle that quite easily I would think.

Very excited and can't wait to hear your thoughts!

PS...I used the church's Audix dynamic for the lid technique and it sounded absolutely amazing today! The sound of the higher keys were so clear and the pedal release thumb was eliminated. Thanks so much!

That's great news Joe. Looks like we're making steady progress.

How was your feedback situation today? I noticed from your mixer pic, that you had two EQ faders pulled all the way back, at 500Hz and 8 kHz.

I'm also a bit curious about the white speakers. Any idea what brand/ model they are?

Once the Mackies are moved,,,, you might be able to re-activate the disconnected ceiling speaker. *if you feel you need it, to better hear the priest.

Now, a separate issue;,,,,,With the Mackies moved,,,, you won't be hearing yourself in the same manner as you were before, We'll have to keep an eye on that, and deal with that issue if and when it arises.

-----------------
Old 02-24-2013, 05:31 PM

Bobby,

Here are the details of the photos, hopefully these will help to explain the measurements I took.

#1. From the back main door of the church:
- The aisle has 6 tiles on the floor and each tile is 12 inches so 6 ft. wide total

#2. From right behind the priest's chair:
- You can see the altar mic that the priest puts on top of the altar
- Not shown is the mic that is moved right in front of the priest chair

#3. The view of the choir area from the priest's chair (priest looking left):
- The L Mackie will be mounted to the post right next to the music stand as high up as it can go right under the ledge. Our priest does not want to block the artwork
- The mixer will also be moved to right beside this post next to the clavinova
- The height of the ledge is basically the height of the post in this picture
- The width of the church (58 ft.) was measured from the double exit doors in this picture (behind the grand piano) to the one on the opposite side on the next picture below

#4. The priest's view looking right:
- The R Mackie will be mounted to the post right next to the wooden banister
- You can see the podium mic for the readers
- The side aisle is also shown in this picture and we normally don't put any seating there. The only time there's people seated in the side aisle is when we have a overfill mass (e.g. Easter, Christmas, etc.)

#5. The choir area from the baby grand piano seat, note the trek to the mixer board
- Not shown is the condenser mic for the choir as this photo was taken the day before our service

#6. This photo was taken as I sat in the first row pew at the very far right seat closest to the side aisle.
- The measurement from this seat to the post in the picture where the Mackie will be mounted is 19 ft.

#7. This photo was taken as I sat in the first row pew at the very far left seat closest to the middle aisle.
- The measurement from this seat to the post in the picture where the Mackie will be mounted is 24.5 ft.

#8. This photo was taken as I sat in the first row pew at the very far left seat closest to the middle aisle looking to the left at the post where the opposite side Mackie will be mounted.
- Sorry, just realized I forgot to take this measurement
- The width of the under area/side aisle is measured from just in front of the post back to the wall with the picture frame hanging

#9. This photo is of the Sunday School class that was seated, hopefully this can help to gauge how many people per pew:

Hopefully this helps to explain the measurements a little more. My sincere apologies, didn't have much time to elaborate on these details last night.

I have a couple more photos of the equipment (mics, mackie's and piano) so I'll post that in just a bit. Thanks again for all the help Bobby, I mentioned to everyone that I was receiving some great help from a Sound Engineer in Canada and everyone was so amazed and thankful for this blessing!

Cheers for now, post again in a little while.

Joe

Last edited by joeguam; 02-24-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:15 PM

Joe,

Thanks again for those pics. I'm having a bit of a hard time seeing all of the details, as some of the images appear quite dark on my screen,,, but that's ok. I get the general idea of the layout.

Joe, where are you located when you're playing your instrument? I figured the ideal location would be close to the piano,,, and that your mixer should be placed there as well. The advantage of having the mixer at arms' reach, is obvious, but also, it would shorten the cable-runs to the speakers.

The closest Mackie would be only a few feet away, and, you could run the other cable tucked & pinned under the leading edge of the steps for the elevated alter-area floor,,,, then up the post on the far side, where the farthest Mackie is located. The cable would not be visible.

Now, I should point out that I can't quite make out what the dark shape is,,, close to the piano. Is that the "podium" you referred to earlier? If that's the case, I presume your playing position is near the sacristy door,,, where all the mic stands are presently located........ Correct?

The reason I'm confused here, is because you said you sometimes have to run 50 feet or so, to the mixer. The mixer should be at or close to, arms reach.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:49 PM

Joe, where are you located when you're playing your instrument?
Right now, I sit/stand right behind the grand piano to read the music over my fiance's shoulder - so the mixer is far away. When it moves closer to the post where the Mackie will be mounted, it'll be within 1 or 2 steps.

The closest Mackie would be only a few feet away, and, you could run the other cable tucked & pinned under the leading edge of the steps for the elevated alter-area floor,,,, then up the post on the far side, where the farthest Mackie is located. The cable would not be visible.
There's a cable there already so adding another wouldn't be an issue. I just have to get the approval of the priest. Thanks for the suggestion!

Now, I should point out that I can't quite make out what the dark shape is,,, close to the piano. Is that the "podium" you referred to earlier?
Sorry, next to the grand piano is the clavinova. The podium where the lectors read from is on the opposite side of the church.

Let me know if you have any more questions. I'm working to post the pictures of the equipment and the lid technique - which sound fabulous BTW.

Joe
Old 02-24-2013, 07:17 PM

[QUOTE=joeguam;3372565]Joe, where are you located when you're playing your instrument?
Right now, I sit/stand right behind the grand piano to read the music over my fiance's shoulder - so the mixer is far away. When it moves closer to the post where the Mackie will be mounted, it'll be within 1 or 2 steps.

There's a cable there already so adding another wouldn't be an issue. I just have to get the approval of the priest. Thanks for the suggestion!

Now, I should point out that I can't quite make out what the dark shape is,,, close to the piano. Is that the "podium" you referred to earlier?
Sorry, next to the grand piano is the clavinova. The podium where the lectors read from is on the opposite side of the church.

Joe, if you scroll up, to the third pic from the bottom of the pics you posted,,, and you look in the lower right-hand quadrant of that pic,,,, there's what looks to me like a lecturn,,, I can't quite make it out. It has a flat top, and the top is sloped. What is that please?(close to the piano and clavinova)

Let me know if you have any more questions. I'm working to post the pictures of the equipment and the lid technique - which sound fabulous BTW.

Thanks Joe, I'll look again at the pics,,,,, later tonight if I get a chance.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:20 PM

Bobby,

My apologies as I know this may be confusing. I completely forgot that there are two podiums. YES, in this picture, there is another podium that is right in front of the grand piano. However, there is not a microphone for this podium and if they do use one to speak from there, they use a wireless dynamic. This podium is not fixed, it slides around on the tiles very easily so it can be moved. It was built and donated by a parishoner so they keep it on display. All readings during mass that require amplification are done from the podium higher on the pulpit on the opposite side of the altar.

To prevent confusion and for reference, I'll edit the post with the pictures and number them so we can speak to them easily.
Hope this helps.

Joe

Last edited by joeguam; 02-24-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:34 PM

Joe,

There's really not much else we can do at this stage,,, until the Mackies are moved that is. In the meantime, I'll just share a few random thoughts, and possibly ask for a few more clarifications.

The clavinova,,, is it an electronic clavinova, or the real McCoy? If so, are you mic'ing that instrument?
-------------------------------------------------------------------
re; choir monitoring;

I'm hoping you won't need monitoring for the choir, but just to be certain, is there any chance that you could set-up a rehearsal once the Mackies have been moved?
--------------------------------------------------------------------
re-calibrating the system, once the Mackies are moved;

We can most likely run the Mackies full-range, once they're in the new position,,,,, no "contour" applied,,,,,, and no HPF engaged. At the mixer, the HPF should be disabled for the piano channel, to provide a deeper range for the lowest octave. Now, this will mean that the Mackies are going to work a bit harder, but I doubt this will be an issue, since there will be very little "sustained" low-frequency content (such as a pipe organ for example).

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Testing the new set-up;

If you can't arrange a rehearsal, you might want to run a brief listening test, in order to EQ the Mackies to the room. The Mackies have a reputation for being a little harsh on the top-end (hi-frequencies), so you'll want to listen carefully, and dial back any excessive "sizzle" you hear in the speakers. Veeeeery slowwwwly, 'til you hear some "sparkle",,,,, but little or no distortion. Clarity and definition above all else.

In the event that you can't arrange a choir rehearsal, you might want to run a choir recording through the system. I'm going to recommend that you get a copy of what is possibly one of the finest audiophile recordings ever made,,,, Cantate Domino,,, on Proprius. (Swedish label). Here's an example on YouTube. Of course, you'll be limited by the compression rate from Youtube, as well as your computers' speakers, but you'll get the idea. Crank it up,,,,,,,,Over a quality sound-system, this will send chills up and down your spine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7530YQeEtEk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
choir, church, condenser microphone, president's day sale