The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-01-2009, 08:12 AM
Humanist

I'll try to give some answers...

1) IMO the speakers will not need any special "protection" in the normal course of use or transport, other than the normal caution I would use in setting up or taking down equipment. Accidents can happen with any piece of gear, and that's the only thing I could see as a problem with the BagAmp...an accident will break anything.

2) I simply have the basic BagAmp unit which I am trying with a few pieces of "front end " gear, such as my Highlander PAMDI, etc. I may want to try the Sub eventually, but as Jack promised, for solo guitar music it does not seem to be necessary at all.

3) Bose has not decreased their prices, to my knowledge. They did come out with a "compact" version of their equipment ($999), but I have yet to hear one.

4) To JackStrat: Jack Campbell has addressed the "price-creep" issue, and if memory serves, there were "quality" choices that had to be made as the amp went from design into production, and his choices were always for "better quality." I should let Jack address this, but from my perspective he did the right thing...and at several hundred dollars less expensive than the main comparison-product, well, I have a kind of a hunch about how well the BA is about to do in the market-place...this hunch is based more on quality-comparison (for sound) than price, by the way.

5) The front of the speakers appear to be "all-forward", not different directions...I don't know what's behind the main covers, though. I checked the unit for forward propagation and side-to-side dispersion, and the coverage was pleasing to my ears.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 10-01-2009 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:57 AM

I'm interested in how the BA stacks up against a SA. We had tried the SA at a local music store in a fairly large area and it sounded great. It filled the room. When I got it home, I discovered that it didn't work well in my music area which is aprox 20'x15'. The SA worked better when you had some distance to work with. If I turned down the volume to accommodate the room size, it lost tone. I ended up returning it.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:57 AM

Gee, so now do I try to sell my Soloamp? Don't have any add-on gear but could wait for the BA Mixer supposedly coming in January. But then that could be dalayed, too.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley

Last edited by lpa53; 10-02-2009 at 05:44 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny1948golf View Post
I'm interested in how the BA stacks up against a SA. We had tried the SA at a local music store in a fairly large area and it sounded great. It filled the room. When I got it home, I discovered that it didn't work well in my music area which is aprox 20'x15'. The SA worked better when you had some distance to work with. If I turned down the volume to accommodate the room size, it lost tone. I ended up returning it.

I can't speak to your specific circumstances, but I also demo-ed and then returned a SoloAmp.

To my ears the BagAmp is warmer, somehow more musically-user-friendly to the ears.

YMMV, but that's my take on things.

This morning I decided to remove my front-end gear, and simply plug the guitar straight into the BA (as I did just the first few minutes of testing, last night). I can report that it was pretty direct (not too much knob-twisting) in producing a very good sound with going straight in. I'm even more impressed, now.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
Don't have any add-on gear but could wait for the BA Mixer supposedly coming in January. But then that could be dalayed, too.
The "January" products are actually January products. If anything they could ship earlier.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboutjack View Post
The "January" products are actually January products. If anything they could ship earlier.
Jack, I've been a believer in the Bagamp for awhile and loved the ride you've given us.

But after I sold my heavy Acoustasonic, I got itchy feet and when a Labor Day sale cut some scratch off a Soloamp, I couldn't wait. As usual with me I' now second-guessing. Since the Solo's sound, without any add-ons for me is pretty good, the weight and portability is a big factor. Looking at the pics you've posted of the BA's carrying case, I was wondering - is there spare room in it for the January Mixer? And is there a ballpark Mixer cost figured yet?
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

Old 10-01-2009, 07:49 PM

Default Humming and Buzzing?

Larry, I noticed you mentioned that the background noise of the Bagamp was low. Can you say it is less than the Soloamp you tested?
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

Old 10-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Larry, I noticed you mentioned that the background noise of the Bagamp was low. Can you say it is less than the Soloamp you tested?

Less. Far less. Impressively quiet.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:33 PM

Default Bagamp

the quietness will be big for some people - like myself

One thing i noticed on the Bose L1 compact was the hiss at low volumes
Especially from the XLR mic channel

The guitar in at 11 was ok....
when you cranked this up to 1 or 2 on the dial then it got hissy

On the mic channel i could only put to 8 and anything above was too noisy (hiss) for me so I returned it
Old 10-01-2009, 11:46 PM

Default About the BagAmp Mixer

Quote:
Jack, I've been a believer in the Bagamp for awhile and loved the ride you've given us.

Looking at the pics you've posted of the BA's carrying case, I was wondering - is there spare room in it for the January Mixer? And is there a ballpark Mixer cost figured yet?
I don't know whether to answer this here or start a different thread. Answering here seems appropriate. Starting a new thread myself seems like shameless self promotion... sigh... forums, forums.

Here is the scoop on the BagAmp Mixer. If it's not appropriate or in the wrong place, I ask a moderator to move it or tell me:

BagAmp Mixer is a tiny two- channel mixer with effects made to mount to a mic stand at easy fingertip distance from the performer. The Mixer expands the BagAmp system by doubling the number of channels, adding EQ and effects features, and adding a stereo auxiliary input. Features are:

Size: 246x162x48mm, 9.7x6.4x1.9 inches
Weight: 1.1 kg, 2.4 lb.
Inputs: (2) hybrid 1/4-inch/XLR + (1) stereo Aux. mini jack
Input Panel Controls: (2) +48VDC phantom power buttons, (2) -10 pad buttons
Outputs: (1) mono hybrid 1/4-inch/XLR, + (1) mono monitor XLR
Channel Controls: (2) channels each with volume, low EQ, high EQ, effects level
Effects: (8) total: Hall 1 & 2, Room, Plate, Gate, Echo, Vocal 1 & 2
Master Controls: Master Volume, Effect Volume, Aux Volume, On-Off, Mute*
Front Panel LEDs: (2) 48VDC on-off, (2) peak, (1) power
Includes: AC-DC adapter, user manual, 'The Bracket' BagAmp universal mic stand mount, (1) 12-foot XLR mic cable, end strap zipper carry bag
* Note: the mute button leaves the Aux input live for break music

You can see our internal design CAD for the product here. Note that these are *CONCEPT* images to guide the final design. The real product has knobs and buttons differently laid out. This just gives you the 'look' of the thing.

$299 retail price. January 2010

It is not quite tiny enough to go into the gadget compartment in the BagAmp carry case. But, its own carry bag rocks, with an end-located handle strap that makes it super easy to carry, actually in the same hand carrying the BagAmp -- that also has enough space for all the Mixer doodads, including a couple of longish XLR cables (1 is included). Until the M.I. industry follows the PC industry in adopting ever smaller and higher bandwidth signal connectors, we're stuck with XLR, and that (unfortunately) defines the minimum size of products like this.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:30 AM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboutjack View Post
I don't know whether to answer this here or start a different thread. Answering here seems appropriate. Starting a new thread myself seems like shameless self promotion... sigh... forums, forums.

Here is the scoop on the BagAmp Mixer. If it's not appropriate or in the wrong place, I ask a moderator to move it or tell me:

BagAmp Mixer is a tiny two- channel mixer with effects made to mount to a mic stand at easy fingertip distance from the performer. The Mixer expands the BagAmp system by doubling the number of channels, adding EQ and effects features, and adding a stereo auxiliary input. Features are:

Size: 246x162x48mm, 9.7x6.4x1.9 inches
Weight: 1.1 kg, 2.4 lb.
Inputs: (2) hybrid 1/4-inch/XLR + (1) stereo Aux. mini jack
Input Panel Controls: (2) +48VDC phantom power buttons, (2) -10 pad buttons
Outputs: (1) mono hybrid 1/4-inch/XLR, + (1) mono monitor XLR
Channel Controls: (2) channels each with volume, low EQ, high EQ, effects level
Effects: (8) total: Hall 1 & 2, Room, Plate, Gate, Echo, Vocal 1 & 2
Master Controls: Master Volume, Effect Volume, Aux Volume, On-Off, Mute*
Front Panel LEDs: (2) 48VDC on-off, (2) peak, (1) power
Includes: AC-DC adapter, user manual, 'The Bracket' BagAmp universal mic stand mount, (1) 12-foot XLR mic cable, end strap zipper carry bag
* Note: the mute button leaves the Aux input live for break music

You can see our internal design CAD for the product here. Note that these are *CONCEPT* images to guide the final design. The real product has knobs and buttons differently laid out. This just gives you the 'look' of the thing.

$299 retail price. January 2010

It is not quite tiny enough to go into the gadget compartment in the BagAmp carry case. But, its own carry bag rocks, with an end-located handle strap that makes it super easy to carry, actually in the same hand carrying the BagAmp -- that also has enough space for all the Mixer doodads, including a couple of longish XLR cables (1 is included). Until the M.I. industry follows the PC industry in adopting ever smaller and higher bandwidth signal connectors, we're stuck with XLR, and that (unfortunately) defines the minimum size of products like this.

I hope this works out well, Jack.

Any chance of a dedicated "tuner output" (on one channel, which remains live when the unit is muted) for guitar tuning purposes...?

Old 10-02-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Any chance of a dedicated "tuner output" (on one channel, which remains live when the unit is muted) for guitar tuning purposes...?
This is something we can explore.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:08 PM

Hi Jack,

I posted this question in another thread on this board, but I figure there's a better chance that you might check this thread sooner....

I've been following your progress on the BagAmp, as well as lurking in these threads for quite some time with great interest. While there has been much mentioned about concerns over having the "audio pistons" exposed, I'm not sure you've answered the question why? Why didn't you encorporate some sort of grill or screen to better protect the drivers? Assuming the unthinkable happened and something did slam into the BagAmp, I'd rather deal with a dented grill than have a non-functional unit and have to ship it back to have one or more drivers replaced.

Larry, since you alread have one in your hands, your thoughts on this would be appreciated as well.

EDIT: Larry, I re-read one of your posts above and noticed you mentioned "speaker covers"... "The front of the speakers appear to be "all-forward", not different directions...I don't know what's behind the main covers, though. I checked the unit for forward propagation and side-to-side dispersion, and the coverage was pleasing to my ears."

So does this mean that the audio pistons aren't directly exposed?

While we're on that topic... Say something did happen to one or more of the drivers. Could I just order another audio piston and replace it myself, or do I have to ship the entire unit back to you? If not, do you have any plans for this in the future?

P.S. +1 on the "tuner out" request for the mixer.

Thanks,

Frank.

Last edited by TrinityEB; 11-03-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrinityEB View Post
Hi Jack,

I posted this question in another thread on this board, but I figure there's a better chance that you might check this thread sooner....

I've been following your progress on the BagAmp, as well as lurking in these threads for quite some time with great interest. While there has been much mentioned about concerns over having the "audio pistons" exposed, I'm not sure you've answered the question why? Why didn't you incorporate some sort of grill or screen to better protect the drivers? Assuming the unthinkable happened and something did slam into the BagAmp, I'd rather deal with a dented grill than have a non-functional unit and have to ship it back to have one or more drivers replaced.

Larry, since you alread have one in your hands, your thoughts on this would be appreciated as well.

While we're on that topic... Say something did happen to one or more of the drivers. Could I just order another audio piston and replace it myself, or do I have to ship the entire unit back to you? If not, do you have any plans for this in the future?

Thanks,

Frank.

I don't have any thoughts on *why* Jack Campbell designed things the way he did.

I have commented to him about what I would *like* to see on future versions of the BagAmp (and the upcoming mixing board module...including above!), but I don't have an expectation for the suggestions to materialize into real changes. Of course, I'm sure (like any good entrepreneur) that Jack will be listening to customers over time about the use and functionality of the products in the real-world.

I also know that Jack must have given considerable thought to many real-world situations during the design-phase of the BagAmp.

I have absolutely zero concerns about the speakers on the BagAmp being damaged with *my* use. I have never had a speaker tipped off a speaker stand at any gig, nor have I ever damaged a piece of equipment during set-up or tear-down...and that includes using much heavier and bulkier equipment, since about 1991.

I don't know how much time Jack has to peruse forums looking for posts to respond to....perhaps you should email him directly to ask these questions.

My personal opinion about warranties (which also apply to handcrafted guitars...and the related shipping-costs for both kinds of items) are that most are not used with gear of this size. If there is a problem, one can usually get a repair effected locally for less than the cost of round-trip shipping....and then I might (depending on the circumstances) submit a repair-bill.

...and if *I* break something due to *my* neglect (or pure accident), then that's on me.

I also don't know what plans are in the works for supplying parts to end-users...

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 11-03-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:55 AM

For those following this saga, I received a shipping status update on the BagAmp from Jack this morning...

USA and Europe BagAmps will be shipping (online orders) by November
24, with some key major market retailers having some inventory then as
well. This will all be updated on the Where To Buy page on the web
site before that time.

Jack
BagAmp Team
Collins America
[email protected]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification