The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-09-2014, 11:16 AM

Default Acoustic Amplification for Martin D-35

Bought a Seth Avett D-35 a couple months ago. Huge upgrade for me, as I continue to get better (been playing 2.5 years) and think about eventually doing some small gigs. The Avett as an amazing sound, but definitely brings the low end that D-35's are known for.

So...Anyone out there use a D-35 to gig with and have a recommendation for a smallish amp? That Fishman SA220 seems pretty popular, and Sweetwater has a package including mic, stand, etc for $999.

Thoughts? Reco's?

Thanks!
Old 02-09-2014, 11:56 AM

I'd install a K&K Pure Mini pickup. Then try out the Fishman Loudbox Mini, Artist, and Performer amps (I have a performer and love it).

Also be sure to check out the ZT Lunchbox Acoustic amp. It's incredible and weighs about 12 lbs.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:15 PM

I play a D-18 and not a D-35, but there is enough similarity to warrant a reply. I use a Fishman Loudbox Mini and working solo have found it plenty powerful for everything from a small coffeehouse to an open-air farmer's market.

It has pretty much everything going for it ... light weight, small, powerful, and relatively inexpensive.

As for pick-ups, my new favorite is the LR Baggs Lyric. But, I also use the Fishman Matrix Infinity.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 02-09-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
I'd install a K&K Pure Mini pickup. Then try out the Fishman Loudbox Mini, Artist, and Performer amps (I have a performer and love it).

Also be sure to check out the ZT Lunchbox Acoustic amp. It's incredible and weighs about 12 lbs.
I have this setup (KK and loudbox)on my 000-28. Sounds great except D string is a little thuddy. I have often wondered if a preamp would help
Old 02-09-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egldriver View Post
I have this setup (KK and loudbox)on my 000-28. Sounds great except D string is a little thuddy. I have often wondered if a preamp would help
I use nothing but K&K in my guitars and yes, a preamp makes a noticeable difference.

For the OP, also take a look at the JJB 330 which is basically the same as the K&K mini at half the price. I plan to order one for my new J-35 after removing the Baggs Element system which I DO NOT like.

I've played some very large venues with my Irish band, and the K&Ks sound great whether through the band's system or larger FOH systems at concerts, festivals, etc. Never played through a loudbox or portable amp.

DC
2010 Trinity College TM375 Irish Bouzouki
2011 Guild F-130R (recently traded for GS Mini hog)
Old 02-10-2014, 07:02 PM

Appreciate the thoughts from everyone. The Avett D-35 comes with factory installed Fishman Gold Plus electronics, so I'm covered there. Was more wondering whether the low end of a D-35 would necessitate a certain kind of amp, or whether someone had had any good or bad luck with something specific.

The stuff you guys mentioned comes highly recommended from internet reviews as well, so I'll take a look. Thanks again!
Old 02-10-2014, 07:50 PM

For years I used a Fender Acoustisonic with my 35, equipped with a Highlander UST, sometimes thru an LR Baggs Para DI, sometimes not, didn't seem to matter. I put casters on the Fender after a few years. Sold the 35, (dumb) the Fender sits in my basement music room - and is still really nice, but its a bit big. Fishman 220 gets hauled around now, but rarely - sounds good with my Gibsons, and with a mic for the 18.
Gibson J-50 (K&K Pure Mini)
Martin D-35 (Trance Audio M)
Gibson J-35 Vintage (Trance Audio M)
Martin 1937 D-28 Authentic "Aged"
Old 02-10-2014, 08:02 PM

For K&K users with passive setup , take a look at the Headway EDM-1 , small compact and powerful unit.

99 Goodall KCJC
Martin OMC-28M Laurence Juber Sunburst
Cervantes Crossover I PE
Old 02-10-2014, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

I use Fishman amps. Got a Loudbox Mini and a Loudbox Performer. Rarely use the Performer but the Mini is a great little amp. Not a K&K fan but use McIntyre Feather passive sound board transducer pickups and have the Baggs Lyric in a couple. The Mini works well with both active and passive systems. And the Fishman acoustic amps have a phase switch...a nice touch.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
amp, gig, gigging, live, performing