The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-03-2015, 10:49 PM

Default Help me create a minimal live rig!

Lately I have really been wanting to explore new setups and ways to get my acoustic setup as small as possible. I currently have a Taylor 76ce with the ES2 system that I am totally in love with. I run it directly into a Bose L1 compact which I am also in love with! I run the guitar direct into the Bose and I run my microphone (Miktek PM9) directly into the Bose as well. With the acoustic I run it through a tuner and a Boss RC-3. Microphone simply runs direct. This setup works well but I just can't help but think that I could do more. I think that I would like to add some sort of delay/reverb to my acoustic. I have a Flashback X4 that I use with my electric rig but even there I have thought about going smaller and trying out an all-in-one board like the Nova System. (If any of you have used the Nova System I would love to hear about it!) Also, I was thinking about the ability to have some reverb or delay on the vocals. I had looked at something like the Mic Mechanic but I just know very little about it. I would rather stay away from any mixers. Just some thinking out loud and I would really appreciate any ideas, advice or reviews on products that you think could get me there. Thanks!
Old 03-03-2015, 10:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsharris View Post
Lately I have really been wanting to explore new setups and ways to get my acoustic setup as small as possible. I currently have a Taylor 76ce with the ES2 system that I am totally in love with. I run it directly into a Bose L1 compact which I am also in love with! I run the guitar direct into the Bose and I run my microphone (Miktek PM9) directly into the Bose as well. With the acoustic I run it through a tuner and a Boss RC-3. Microphone simply runs direct. This setup works well but I just can't help but think that I could do more. I think that I would like to add some sort of delay/reverb to my acoustic. I have a Flashback X4 that I use with my electric rig but even there I have thought about going smaller and trying out an all-in-one board like the Nova System. (If any of you have used the Nova System I would love to hear about it!) Also, I was thinking about the ability to have some reverb or delay on the vocals. I had looked at something like the Mic Mechanic but I just know very little about it. I would rather stay away from any mixers. Just some thinking out loud and I would really appreciate any ideas, advice or reviews on products that you think could get me there. Thanks!
I know you said no mixers, but have you looked into the Bose T1? It makes a lot of sense given your current setup and needs.
A Bose T1 would give you parametric EQ on both your guitar and your mic, as well as all of the effects you mentioned and many more.
Plus, it's tiny and is made for the Bose systems.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:00 AM

I had considered the T1. Without any experience with it though I wondered about the cost of it versus some other methods.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:57 AM

The Bose T1 is over $400 unless you can find a used one somewhere, but is very compact and made to be used with the L1. Alternately, you could look at a non-Bose mixer with FX like the Allen + Heath ZedFX10 ($300) or the Mackie ProFX8 ($180).
Or look at something like the TC Helicon pedals that offer vocal and guitar effects.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 03-04-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsharris View Post
I think that I would like to add some sort of delay/reverb to my acoustic. Thanks!
I recently picked up a Fishman Loudbox Artist acoustic amp. Small, lightweight, big sound. Has 2 reverbs, delay. chorus, even flanger (which I don't really use). The effects actually sound pretty good to me. Warm and natural. DI's on the back to run into your Boss system. This should work very well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification