The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-26-2015, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcrawford View Post
I personally use K&K mini's but I played a show with a guy who had a lyric in his OM-28V. He ran it through an Avalon pre amp of some sort (said they did not make it anymore) and it was the best plugged in sound I have e
Ver heard. A guy came behind him and used a mic only and I swear the lyric sounded better. The guy who had it said that the pre amp he had mad ALL the difference and it was a very expensive pre amp. I will take my KK and mach 2 pre, but that lyric sounded awesome ...and by the way, it was on a full PA at a large club.

Sounds like the Avalon U5. We use that preamp too. It lives up to the hype
Old 02-26-2015, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Default Where'd the bass go ?

I tried Lyrics in two guitars. One was a D-15M, which lost all of it's bass no matter how I adjusted things. The other was a 000-18GE. While not as noticeable as with the D-15M, I felt it again made the guitar sound overly bright for my taste. It certainly didn't sound like the guitar unamplified, both from the player's perspective or the listener's .

I went with the K&K Trinity, really liked that. More expensive but also more capable.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:01 PM

Thank you, everyone, for your responses.

Larryb

Buscarino Cabaret
Bourgeois OMC (Adi/Madagascar)
Bourgeois OO (Aged Tone Adi/Mahogany)
Bourgeois 0 (Italian spruce/Madagascar)
Old 02-26-2015, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecuss View Post
Sounds like the Avalon U5. We use that preamp too. It lives up to the hype
The Avalon U5 is available as both a regular edition and a 15th Anniversary model.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 02-26-2015, 06:34 PM

I just made the decision towards the Anthem rather than the Lyric BECAUSE of the combination of mic and UST, and I'm very happy.

Having the ability to dial in or out various combinations between the two is extremely important to me for the various systems I play through.

So far, very happy.

1994 Taylor 810 Sitka/Indian Rosewood
2015 LR Baggs Anthem -
LR Baggs Session pre-amp D.I.
Fishman AFX Reverb
Empress ParaEQ
1999 Fender Stratocaster
1968 Fender Vibrochamp
Old 02-26-2015, 06:36 PM

K&K trinity is too bassy
Lyric is too lacking in bass

Next time I'm hoping to find what is just right. In my world that means a simple plug and play device, no external preamp needed, that sounds great. No hassle.

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 02-26-2015, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psalad View Post
K&K trinity is too bassy
Lyric is too lacking in bass

Next time I'm hoping to find what is just right. In my world that means a simple plug and play device, no external preamp needed, that sounds great. No hassle.
Check the Trance Audio Amulet M Dual Mono. I recommend the M-VT version with the soundhole Volume/Tone control module ($319): http://www.tranceaudio.com/amuletm.html

Trance's Gary Hull will be glad to answer your questions at 831/688-9699 or at [email protected]

Regards,

SpruceTop

Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 02-26-2015, 10:36 PM

I have a Lyric in my Breedlove C25 and absolutely love it. I run it through a ParaDI, mostly for feedback control with the notch filter. I think opinions really vary depending on playing style, guitar, and situation—players whom I really like and respect have tried it and not liked it for any number of reasons.

But for what I do, I can't imagine putting any other kind of system in one of my guitars.

With that said, for purely monetary reasons, I installed a JJB transducer system on an old backup guitar that I've left in my home town for gigs over the holidays, and it sounded like a million bucks (through a ParaDI)—if only the tiniest bit transducer-quack-y.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:49 PM

[QUOTE=larryb;4377863]Jon.....which did you like best (Lyric or Anthem) for fingerstyle?

I started out with Anthems as they were on the market first. I think the comments above about the Anthem having more bass response is correct, and I think the Lyric gets a truer acoustic tone for the individual guitar. That said, I tend to prefer the Lyric for solo finger style, either nylon or steel string, and the Anthem if I am strumming or playing in a group.

Truth is, I never amped much at home until I got the Lyric, and now I like running through the amp even at home. I run through an Ultrasound DS-4 with just a hint of reverb.

Jon
Old 03-02-2015, 09:25 AM

Default Lyric

I am not sold on the Lyric - I really hate how the eq button is hard to get to and the sound is thin. I'm going to look into the Anthem from folk's recommendations here.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

I have a lyric in my 000-MMV. I think it sounds very similar to its true acoustic tone, but playing live it is definitely lacking. When I'm playing alone plugged into an amp, it is fantastic! I play more life then I do in a room by myself plugged in, so I will be switching to anthem sl soon.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

the mistake people make with the k&K IS that they under use bass eq. CUT THE BASS. With the Mach 2 or XLR pre you just need to cut more, people complain about the hot bass and under use bass eq.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Smith View Post
I'm one of those that was romanced by the idea of the Lyric. I installed it into my 50's Gibson LG-2, struggled with it for six months, and sold it. Replaced it with a K&K pure western mini, which had been my default pickup prior- and will continue to be in the future.

In short, I found it to be very impractical for gigging. It needed a ton of EQ that most pre-amps and mixers couldn't deliver. Sound men hated it. I didn't have (too many) problems with uncontrolled feedback, but the feedback loop was such that the louder I played, the worse it sounded.

Simply my experience; there are other posters here that love it.
Hi Aaron...

Were you disuaded before the purchase by any talk about not being as good for live play, or other expressed concerns?

The only reason I suggested Larry go ahead and try it, is once we guitar players get an idea about what 'could-be' or 'should-be' possible, it's hard to talk us out of it.

I see a lot of used Lyrics go through the classifieds. That's not to say it might not lead to better pickup developments down the line.

The Baggs iBeam was one of those types of pickups that sounded like it should have been the best pickup ever...and it didn't prove to be that at all. However, it was a forerunner to the K&K and other soundboard transducers which have proven to be quite useful.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-02-2015, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Aaron...

Were you disuaded before the purchase by any talk about not being as good for live play, or other expressed concerns?

The only reason I suggested Larry go ahead and try it, is once we guitar players get an idea about what 'could-be' or 'should-be' possible, it's hard to talk us out of it.

I see a lot of used Lyrics go through the classifieds. That's not to say it might not lead to better pickup developments down the line.

The Baggs iBeam was one of those types of pickups that sounded like it should have been the best pickup ever...and it didn't prove to be that at all. However, it was a forerunner to the K&K and other soundboard transducers which have proven to be quite useful.

I got the Lyric when it was pretty new, and the forums were still in the "honeymoon" period where everyone loved it and nobody had anything bad to say about it. I researched it, and really liked the idea of it a lot. I had just gotten the guitar and needed to put a pickup into it to make it gig-able anyway, so I figured I would experiment with something new.

I went through the usual stages of grief with new technology. In retrospect it is clear that I didn't like it from the first strum, but I figured I must be doing something wrong, since everyone else loved theirs so much. So I verified the install, continued to tweak, try different preamps, etc. Then I took it to a couple of gigs with installed sound and a house soundman. Those were disasters; guitar sounded horrible, and after 5 minutes the soundmen just gave up trying to get it to sound any better. Ultimately I decided it just wasn't worth the work.

But I agree with your suggestion for the OP to try it. Ultimately, we all have very different requirements and preferences as performers. For my needs, the K&K is a dummy-proof solution that always gets a usable sound, and often gets a very good sound with a little work. However, there are others who hate it, and I take them at their word.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
Old 03-02-2015, 11:26 PM

I'm undecided on the lyric, but be sure to try the alternate placement up against the brace angled to bridge centered on the high E.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification