The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-27-2015, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

I too dig the Marshall but prefer the 100. Find the fishmans to suck eggs personally.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjFuzzyMcPickle View Post
I too dig the Marshall but prefer the 100. Find the fishmans to suck eggs personally.
I've read that in some of the Marshall reviews I read. I grew up with all my favorite players playing thru Marshalls, that was a big selling point for me. I also heard some pretty good sounding demos. I also heard how quiet the amp is while not being played, that in itself impressed me.

Celestion speakers was also a big selling point...

To find all these features in an amp that cost me less than $300 was also amazing.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 02-28-2015, 05:58 PM

Default pulled the trigger

Well...came home with the Fishman loudbox artist. Tried the Marshall as50d while in my local GC...but the Fishman sounded way better to me. Smaller lighter package, more natural warm sound to my ears. Also came home with a Boss RC3 looper. Looping is new to me...but it is really intuitive, easy to use. having gobs of fun with it already. No more hiring a drummer and bass for small venues...more $ for me...lol...one man band. My vocal mic sounds better then expected through this tiny piece of equipment. Happy!
Old 02-28-2015, 08:08 PM

I made my buying decision on the Marshall AS50D based strongly on this demo...(Music starts about 2:20-2:30)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIqmxgVSSDY

The amp itself sounded great to my ears, and the chorus and reverb both very lush sounding. The guy playing was playing chord progressions like what I use in my own songs, so it sounded just like home to me.

I like the idea of two channels, one for guitar and in my case one for a mic on the guitar as well. Should make for a decent recording amp to use at home.

Just the basic amp sounded just like the guitar but only louder. However there's room to fiddle with the eq if needed. I'll mainly be using this as a practice amp with a jam session every once in a while...I think I'll be a very happy camper with this amp. Especially with the under $300 used price tag !!
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 02-28-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
I made my buying decision on the Marshall AS50D based strongly on this demo...(Music starts about 2:20-2:30)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIqmxgVSSDY

The amp itself sounded great to my ears, and the chorus and reverb both very lush sounding. The guy playing was playing chord progressions like what I use in my own songs, so it sounded just like home to me.

I like the idea of two channels, one for guitar and in my case one for a mic on the guitar as well. Should make for a decent recording amp to use at home.

Just the basic amp sounded just like the guitar but only louder. However there's room to fiddle with the eq if needed. I'll mainly be using this as a practice amp with a jam session every once in a while...I think I'll be a very happy camper with this amp. Especially with the under $300 used price tag !!
Also a good choice...in the end , the Fishman just fit my needs better.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:08 PM

Here's another really nice demo showing the Marshall AS50D using a mic on a Taylor....music starts at 2:50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx1LsANOy5I

I'd be pleased with that sound....
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 03-01-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjFuzzyMcPickle View Post
I agree. The mini is too tinny or thin in my opinion. The little speaker is the culprit. I would step up to the artist or performer which means more cash. I personally own the Carvin AG300, Ultrasound AG50D, and the Behringer ACX1800. The Carvin is really nice and American made. Ultrasound is an awesome amp and very durable. The circuit for this amp is simple and direct which means no coloring of the acoustic guitar. The Behringer is by far the best purchase I have made in a long time. I had a bad impression of Behringer for years but this thing is inexpensive, loud, and does a grand job of amplifying the guitar. I have also demoed the Acoustasonics at a local shop and they do a fine job as well. Most folks hate the Fender amps but if I was in the market for a new amp, these would be on my list. Of course this is my opinion!
Old 03-01-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorj View Post
Well...came home with the Fishman loudbox artist. Tried the Marshall as50d while in my local GC...but the Fishman sounded way better to me. Smaller lighter package, more natural warm sound to my ears. Also came home with a Boss RC3 looper. Looping is new to me...but it is really intuitive, easy to use. having gobs of fun with it already. No more hiring a drummer and bass for small venues...more $ for me...lol...one man band. My vocal mic sounds better then expected through this tiny piece of equipment. Happy!
Congrats! Glad you are enjoying it. Now, get out there and make some money with it, Baby!
Old 03-01-2015, 12:35 PM

If you want to spend around 1K, I suggest you look at the Shertler Jam 150 and the Shertler Unico. They are both top of the line although the Unico is more top. And if you want to go with the Compac 60 they can be had for under $1000. I know of a Shertler Jam 150 for sale privately now for $700 and it is in excellent shape. Its worth every cent. So are the other ones you are looking at. If you can play through them with your guitar, go for it. There is no substitute for listening to what these amps sound like with your guitar and your pickups. Good luck.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:09 PM

I received my Marshall AS50D today. It sounds really good. It's in like new condition. Has lots of power, more than enough for me. I also bought an amp stand for it, so it sits off the floor and is angled like a monitor, easy to reach controls.......The D-35 sounds great thru it..no complaints at all....The seller also kicked in a 12' VOX professional guitar chord !!
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M

Last edited by Yamaha Man; 03-05-2015 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:34 PM

Sorry to say it, but the phantom power in my Marshall AS50D doesn't work. I've tried different cables, different mics but no luck. The mic input works fine with regular mics that don't require phantom power. So I tried hooking up the Marshall V69 ME that has it's own power supply and that works fine. Bummer..so now I can't use the AT 2020 with the Marshall amp.

I just put a bid on one on eBay too....
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 03-05-2015, 01:52 PM

Some amps use 10V to 20V as their phantom power, which is not enough to drive all phantom powered microphones. Marshall does not list the phantom voltage in their handbook:

http://www.marshallamps.com/wp-conte...as50d-hbk1.pdf

...but the AS100D shows +15V phantom power on the block diagram:

http://www.marshallamps.com/wp-conte...as100d-hbk.pdf

The Carvin AG100, AG200 and AG300 all have +48V phantom power which will also power pedals like the LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI. I use a Sterling phantom power supply with amps that do not have it. Ric
Old 03-05-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdoug View Post
Some amps use 10V to 20V as their phantom power, which is not enough to drive all phantom powered microphones. Marshall does not list the phantom voltage in their handbook:

http://www.marshallamps.com/wp-conte...as50d-hbk1.pdf

...but the AS100D shows +15V phantom power on the block diagram:

http://www.marshallamps.com/wp-conte...as100d-hbk.pdf

The Carvin AG100, AG200 and AG300 all have +48V phantom power which will also power pedals like the LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI. I use a Sterling phantom power supply with amps that do not have it. Ric
Thanks...I tried testing the pins with a volt meter, and got nothing. My mics all required 48 volts anyhow. I was concerned this might be the case as some amps advertise 24 volts only....

Anyhow I won the auction for the AT 2020... and now need a dynamic mic like the Shure Beta 57A to use with the Marshall amp. Oh well !!
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 03-05-2015, 03:10 PM

I use these for phantom power and they work fine:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Sterling...64-i1323358.gc

...so you can still use the AT2020 Ric
Old 03-05-2015, 03:32 PM

Your link didn't work but I'm assuming you're referring to an external phantom power supply which would do the trick for about $20-30 bucks....that definitely would save the day...but I've already set up the Marshal MXL V69 ME mic into the Marshall amp, which works great for now. I will be able to use the AT 2020 thru my M-Track USB interface which does have 48 volt phantom power. So all is not lost. That AT 2020 in Doug Young's soundtrack does sound really good....it'll be interesting to compare it to the V69....and the MXL 603's that I also have.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification