The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-09-2017, 04:33 PM

Default EJ-200 Artist with new strings

Put new strings to EJ-200.
Plays and sounds a lot better than factory strings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=_38qbjiXpDA

Last edited by Theleman; 12-11-2017 at 04:01 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:58 PM

Assuming that is an Epi?

I am not sure what they ship those and Gibson’s with, but they sound just awful to me. Like rocks in a blender.

But as it’s rare for me to find a used Gibby that sounds that bad, they either play in really easily, or they just sound better with non factory strings.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 12-10-2017, 04:24 AM

That is a brand new Epi EJ-200 Artist which just arrived 2 days ago.

The factory string had some problem. I don't know what make or gauge string it was, but the 1st string would not tune to the standard tuning. So I had to tune down 1.5 step on the first day. It sounded not right.

Then yesterday, when I tried to tune it to standard tuning again, the 1st string snapped.

I put new string on it. It is a cheap string called Johny Brooks or something, extra light and about £3 from Amazon. I thought it plays and sounds a lot better.

And other factors must played too Such as old and cheap mobile phone which did the recording. My playing skills - I just started playing about 2 -3 month ago after 15 year hiatus. Also I was using bare fingers rather than picks. Using picks on this guitar gets way too loud and it gives sharp sounding, and I prefer a bit muddy, quiet and mellow sound from bare fingers.

Maybe I will try more expensive strings on it. Any recommendations?

The EJ200 comes with super low action, so playing is quite easy, but it sounds very poor due to above causes?
It sounds way better than most of my other guitars to my ears, and I am quite happy with it.

Last edited by Theleman; 12-10-2017 at 05:55 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:15 PM

I could be dead wrong but I thought Epis came with D'addario 12s.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:20 PM

Got mine last year, quite used and in need of some work. Work done, and now using Elixir PB HD Lights on it. Sounds great.
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 12-10-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:28 PM

Yes they come with D'addario 12 set. Now I love D'addario strings and have them on all my guitars and also when it was time for a new set I again put them on my EJ 200 artist but a friend told me to try Martin Acoustic SP strings MSP4100. WOW the guitar came alive and stays alive for a LONG time . I played out door shows all summer and got great tone and just changed to a fresh set two weeks ago. Try them you won't regret it. Also having too low an action is comfortable and easy to play BUT on an acoustic raising the action just a hair you get a way better tone and sound and also louder out of the same guitar. Just adjust the truss rod a hair you will see what I mean.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:28 PM

Thank you for your info.
So D'adario strings it came with then? So it is not bad string as such?
But the 1st string was so tight at about D flat, it wouldn't go up. So I had to tune at that, and the rest of the strings were all tuned at that which was very very low and not sounding right - but still it sounded nice and loud.

The 2nd day, I thought - well that does it, I will wind it up to standard tuning, and winding the 1st string to E, but it broke with loud bang.

So I had to put new set of string there, and it then is able to go up to standard tuning no problem. It sounded a lot better.

But because I am playing with my bare fingers, it sounds muddy and mellow and quieter - but that's what I like. If I use any type of pick with this Epi it gets so loud, my ears go numb. I cannot hear anything, so I cannot do it. I cannot use any pick with this EJ-200, maybe unless it is outdoors.

Action out of the box is dead low. It is so low, it is easy to play and I really get used to it. The lower 5th 6th strings can buzz if played hard due to that, but it is not serious buzz as such. Maybe slight higher action is better, as you suggest.

All in all, I feel this EPi EJ-2000 Artist is a great guitar. I just thought how you feel about it, if you happen to own it. Most of you seem very happy with it, glad to know cheers.

Last edited by Theleman; 12-10-2017 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:36 PM

I have a Korean made Epi EJ-200. Had it about 4 years, maybe 5.
I have used D'Addario EXP, Martin SP(80/20 and 92/8), Elixir Poly and Nano Web, and John Pearse.
I've used both 11's and 12's (had 13's on it for three days. MISTAKE. started to belly-up the top and action went to crap. Took two weeks to fix that).

The D'Addario EXP's sounded great so I bought a bunch to put on all my guitars. They need changed often cause they loose their tone too fast. AND I have broken strings three time while installing on three different guitars. I've been playing and installing strings for 50 years and never broke a string till I got these. (Have broken high and low "E" strings and the "G" string.) I don't buy D'Addario any more.

Elixir Poly lasts for ever but sound too dull on all my guitars except the Tacoma Chief. I like the sound of the Nano's much more, and they last pretty good too.

I like the Martin SP very much. Coated like the EXP but they hold their tone and don't break.

I just bought a set of Octacore and will try them next.

I have my action slammed to the fretboard and like it like that. Tusq nut, saddle, and pins. Neck straight as a die.

If it is too loud, try laying your forearm on the top behind the bridge. The tighter you hold it, the more it will quiet it.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:33 AM

I was contemplating getting a standard EJ-200, but they are twice the price NEW. Used standard EJ200 on eBay was going for about same price as a new EJ-200 Artist, but then when I saw the top of the standard EJ-200, it was two piece matched. Same at the back - and I didn't like it.

Well it wasn't big issue actually, as many guitars are like that. But when I saw this EJ200 Artist, it had 1 piece top and same at the back. It looked a lot better to me, and I preferred it.

And I am not into the flowery pickguard or inlays on fingerboard or mustasche bridge blings.

And brand new guitar will mean new fresh frets rather than possible worn frets of used ones. So I went for the Artist version a brand new, and am happy with my decision.

I have never tried 13 gauge strings. 12 gauge I put on the old Hondo is already too heavy I feel. It sounds great, but tuning to standard is a bit stiff, and hard to bend, so tune 1 step down to D on the 1st and 6th string.

But D'Addario strings have habit of breaking maybe? Certainly it was a weird experience with brand new guitar and brand new string.

Thanks for the tip for quietening volume of the guitar. Will try that. cheers.

Last edited by Theleman; 12-11-2017 at 03:47 AM.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chezler View Post

I have my action slammed to the fretboard and like it like that. Tusq nut, saddle, and pins. Neck straight as a die.
How did tone change after the replacement?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion