The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-08-2007, 11:48 PM
Charter Member

Default Looking for a decent WOOD 12-string under 1000 frosties

I'm VERY tired of my Ovation Custom Legend 12-string guitar. I'm thinking I would actually like something made out of wood.

Things I'd like:
1) No dreadnaughts please
2) No pickguards or one that can be removed
3) A decent pickup system
4) A BIG sound.
5) A price under 1000 frosties

Things I don't care about:
1) I don't care if it has laminated sides and back if it has a solid top
2) I'm ok with used (probably have to go that direction anyway

I've looked at the Takamine EG523SC-12 - and might be interested if I could remove that dreadful pickguard.

I'm also looking for other suggestions.

By the way - I LOVE jumbo's, and am not a big fan of Mahogany.

Building one-off acoustic guitars since 2008
Old 02-09-2007, 05:29 AM
Charter Member

If you want electronics, I don't think you can beat the Takamine. I bought my Taylor 455 before Christmas for a few more frosties, and I love it. The combination of the jumbo ovangkol body and 12 strings make it sing to the heavens without amplification.
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-09-2007, 05:33 AM
Charter Member

There have been several threads on AGF about pickguard removal.....Here is one person's procedure for doing so:

"I have removed several with a hairdryer and Goof-Off (this is available at Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, pretty much everywhere). Lay the guitar on a towel or blanket. It is easiest if you remove the strings so they don't get gummed up, but not mandatory. Heat the area of the pickguard you are starting on and use your fingernail to pull up just a small corner. Apply the goof-off generously to the exposed adhesive and area of the pickguard you are working, NOT THE WOOD. Keep the heat on as you the feel the adhesive and pickguard slowly release.

It it important to go slow! Don't force anything. Let the heat and the Goof-off do the work.

If the guitar is brand new, the adhesive may mostly stay on the pickguard. Otherwise the adhesive absorbs a lot of the Goof-off and goes jelly-like. I would have several micro-fiber rags around and be softening and removing the adhesive either while or after you are removing the pickguard. This can be messy, but it will all soften and release into your rag after several application of Goof-off.

If you have a tan line after removal you can place the guitar in a location where it gets some indirect sunlight through a window for several weeks or even months and it will slowly fade."
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-09-2007, 08:38 AM

The subject of inexpensive 12 strings gets discussed a lot at the Cafe' -

http://p082.ezboard.com/The-12String...tarforumfrm150

One that is highly regarded is the Seagull S12+ (I don't have one but an internet friend does and it is a wonderful sounding guitar). I think one of the best bang for the buck 12's is a 355, you should be able to find a used one for your price point (of course when you take the p/g off it will have tan lines).

Some people also think the Carvin 980 12 is a good A/E for your price point. I've only played the six and thought it was OK unplugged and pretty nice plugged in

Or the one I built

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...r/IMG_0543.jpg
Old 02-09-2007, 08:39 AM

http://www.alvarezgtr.com/prod_page....D=3&ItemID=183

The PJ85SC-12DVS sounds great, has nice upgradeable elecs, looks fantastic, and is affordable. The street price is far enough under your limit to get a decent case & some strings. The AJ60SC-12 is also very nice, & is even more affordable. We own both models, and I honestly think that these guitars are two of the best 12s values available.

We also have two Seagull 12s, and the S12 is a nice sounding guitar. Edit again: Oops, the S12 is a dread.

Taylor 414e Ltd Claro Walnut__Takamine EC132C__Larrivee 000-40R__Yairi WY-1__Alvarez PJ85SC-DVS & PJ85SC-12DVS, RB30SC__Guild GAD-JF48__Seagull Model 12, S12, S6+ Folk, M4 Spruce__Ibanez AW-25 (12s), PF5CENT __Olympia OD?, OP2__Hohner Morena-HAM 712 mandolin__Flight Ukulele__Yamaha Guitalele

Last edited by Antonio Salieri; 02-09-2007 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songsender View Post
I'm VERY tired of my Ovation Custom Legend 12-string guitar. I'm thinking I would actually like something made out of wood.

Things I'd like:
1) No dreadnaughts please
2) No pickguards or one that can be removed
3) A decent pickup system
4) A BIG sound.
5) A price under 1000 frosties

Things I don't care about:
1) I don't care if it has laminated sides and back if it has a solid top
2) I'm ok with used (probably have to go that direction anyway

I've looked at the Takamine EG523SC-12 - and might be interested if I could remove that dreadful pickguard.

I'm also looking for other suggestions.

By the way - I LOVE jumbo's, and am not a big fan of Mahogany.
You may have to compromise a little, but there are some great guitars out there....

You can find great used Guild F-212s on ebay and elsewhere for under $100 -- Guild is the gold standard in 12s.

You say you don't like Mahogany, but the Guild GAD 212 is worth looking at in your price range: http://www.guildguitars.com/instrume...tno=3813400821

Also, its a dread, but Simon & Patrick has a really nice cedar top, cherrywood 12 that you can usually find for about $400, great sound, action and finish.
'78 Guild X-175
'96 Guild JF-65 12
'00 Santa Cruz Vintage Southerner
'01 Guild Goldtop Bluesbird
'06 Taylor T5 Cocobolo
'07 Taylor Custom DN Brazilian

Take it easy, but take it!

Last edited by california91207; 02-09-2007 at 08:46 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-09-2007, 08:49 AM
minister of twang

used taylor 355, aftermarket pickup of your choice and a blowdryer.
l'twangage
Old 02-09-2007, 09:46 AM

I heard good things about Alvarez' AJ60-12. The Takamine EG523sc is nice, and so is Fender's JG23-12...(or something like that).
But IMHO, your best bet would be is if you can find a Taylor 354 or 355...
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 02-09-2007, 10:09 AM

Since your budget goes upward of a grand, I suggest you dismiss all the low-end 12-strings. I've gone that route several times, thinking I wouldn't play a 12 very much, and I was partially right in that I didn't play those 12s very much. That was because the cut corners included clubby necks and tone that was nice but unremarkable. When I finally broke down and spent "serious" money on a Taylor 355, I suddenly found myself playing 12-string a lot more.

Here are some contenders:

Used Taylor 355 without the CE. Taylor makes what I think are the most comfortable 12-string necks, and the jumbo body is more comfortable than it may look. If it was built after 2000, you'll also get the NT neck, which will help keep things in line and make for a very easy reset, if it's ever needed (a particular concern with 12-strings).

Martin J12-15. This is a dark horse among sub-grand 12-strings, mostly because its top is mahogany or sapele instead of spruce. That may not seem "right," but playing one can change that in an instant. I think you could even get a new one within your budget.

Larrivee L-03-12. Right now the only one they list has a cutaway and electronics that raise up the price from a plain one, but even that may fit your budget, and you never know what you'll find on the used market. Larrivee makes great guitars, and their L body is a nice compromise between comfortable size and big sound.

I'm not up on the latest Guild 12-strings, so I can't comment on them. I played some of their 12s during the 90s and didn't like any of them (sad, since back in the 60s Guild was The 12 to buy), but I know they've improved their 6-strings, so I have hopes that the 12s got the same treatment. I don't know how prices run, but they're worth looking into.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Please provide a pointer to the Guild D212 under $100 and I will buy up everyone that is available at that price. They may be affordable but
under $100??????

I recommend the Guild GAD series 12 string however it is a dreadnought.

Is there a 12 string model in the Epiphone Masterbuild series?

drive-south
Old 02-09-2007, 10:49 AM

Check out the Breedlove AJ250/SM-12 12-String Jumbo Acoustic-Electric. Front and back are solid wood. I played on one at GC last week and it had a beautiful sound.
The action was great. Easy player. Also no pick guard and well within you price range.

Last edited by burnet; 02-09-2007 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Salieri View Post
http://www.alvarezgtr.com/prod_page....D=3&ItemID=183

The PJ85SC-12DVS sounds great, has nice upgradeable elecs, looks fantastic, and is affordable. The street price is far enough under your limit to get a decent case & some strings. The AJ60SC-12 is also very nice, & is even more affordable. We own both models, and I honestly think that these guitars are two of the best 12s values available.

We also have two Seagull 12s, and the S12 is a nice sounding guitar. Edit again: Oops, the S12 is a dread.
I have found that I like the Alvarez 12's better then the taylor 12's.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Check out the Breedlove AJ250/SM-12 12-String Jumbo Acoustic-Electric. Front and back are solid wood. I played on one at GC last week and it had a beautiful sound.
The action was great. Easy player. Also no pick guard and well within you price range.
+1. The one I played was giving my Breedlove USA Koa 12 string a run for its money. Huge bang for the buck, nothing even close on the market IMHO.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:55 PM

I like my Eastman pretty much...

Old 02-09-2007, 02:06 PM

Used Larrivee 03 model, or Breedlove with their cool bracing system. You won't go wrong with either one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion