The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-28-2009, 09:17 PM

Unhappy Tapping the pickguard with a pick when strumming

I've been noticing that I tend to "tap" the pickguard with a pick whenever I strum, whether I strum gently or heavily...and it's getting very annoying to the point where I have to observe whether my right hand is extending all the way to the pickguard when I strum. I feel as if I'm losing my confidence in playing since I can't even strum properly anymore.

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richyirich View Post
I've been noticing that I tend to "tap" the pickguard with a pick whenever I strum, whether I strum gently or heavily...and it's getting very annoying to the point where I have to observe whether my right hand is extending all the way to the pickguard when I strum. I feel as if I'm losing my confidence in playing since I can't even strum properly anymore.

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
Strange, I have to seriously try and hit the pickguard. All I could suggest is check your arm/wrist position. Maybe rest the heel of your hand lightly on the bridgepins and use more wrist and less arm.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:23 PM

Try to control your strumming a little more, start out strumming slowly and controlled, making sure you don't hit the pickguard, then slowly increase all the while making sure you don't hit the guard. Eventually you'll get to the point to where it's second nature.

Just try to reign in your right hand, that usually happens because of a little extra space you're giving your right hand in terms of a strumming pattern.

Formerly known as, "Will Kirk"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write