The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-31-2023, 03:11 PM

Default Where in the signal chain to set gain and EQ -

I've struggled with setting levels for years, and never felt like I had the right answer.

When I play live, I usually have at least two--and sometimes three or four--places in the signal chain where I can adjust EQ: on my guitar, on my DI, on my amp, and on the PA itself. And I can adjust the gain or volume in three of those places too.

Is there a correct way to do this? To take a simple example, if I'm have onboard volume control, a DI with volume control, and I'm plugging into a PA with gain control, where should I level each of them out? And for EQ: should I keep my DI and PA level and just use my onboard nobs to balance bass and treble?

It gets more complex when I'm running guitar > amp > PA or even guitar > DI > amp > PA. How should I set things initially, and where should I tweak?

I usually manage to muddle through and get a pretty good live sound, but I've had plenty of gigs where things sounded a "off" and I didn't know how to correct them. Any guidance appreciated!
Old 03-31-2023, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

For gain, it’s best to adjust on the first active device in the chain, and keep the other devices at their zero, or unity position. That will maximize your signal to noise ratio.

You can then use the volume control (not the gain) on the last device in the chain - usually the mixing board - to adjust what’s actually coming out of the speakers.

As far as EQ, it’s not super important which device you EQ with, but I would try not to use EQ on more than one device if possible. That can introduce some phase anomalies that can mess with the sound. You could just use whichever EQ is most flexible - has the most bands and/or gain range to play with.
Old 03-31-2023, 05:24 PM

I first set the EQ on my guitar and start with other devices in the middle position. If using a DI, like the LR Baggs PADI, I'll use it next if I can't get the tone I want by adjusting the guitar alone. Finally, as a last resort I'll EQ at the mixer if needed.
Old 03-31-2023, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

If I'm doing the e/q of the room, then the e/q is the last step before the signal goes to the powered speakers.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 04-01-2023, 05:36 AM

Every input section works best when the signal going in is healthy but not overpowering at peaks - that’s your gain strategy. The way gear is designed means if you get that right at an early part of the chain the downstream elements should line up pretty easily. If you want to measure the level of your signal:

Plug a mic (‘58) into a mixer, set the input gain to measure “nice” when you sing lustily
Plug your guitar into a DI, plug that into the mic channel you’ve just been using
How does it compare?

DIs are generally designed to output at the upper end of “mic” level when an appropriate signal is applied. Twiddle your knobs to get an appropriate signal.

The rest is logic.

EQ - if it sounds nice it is nice
If it’s feeding back it’s not nice
Don’t do something that you then undo later down the chain
EQ should be applied in the context of a mix.
Not all EQs are EQual.
Old 04-01-2023, 01:41 PM

Thanks everyone for these helpful and detailed responses. I think I have what I need now to make more informed decisions as I adjust my signal chain!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification