The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-18-2017, 06:24 AM
Charter Member

WWKRD
(What would Keith Richards do?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I really think you can't go wrong with a tele. I'm very biased on telecasters, but I really think they're just the bees knees. And there's good ones at every price point.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 02-18-2017, 06:43 AM

If you like Mark Knopfler, a Strat is high on the list of where to start. His iconic clean tone is the bridge + middle pickups. Gilmour plays a Strat fairly often as well, though some of his best known solos are other guitars.

You'll also need an amp that can pull off a great clean sound. My little Fender Mustang I gets a fair bit of play despite my tube amp collection. I've dialed in some good models on it, and it has a headphone jack so I don't bother the family while playing. Very few tube amps offer that option.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 02-18-2017, 03:12 PM

Tough question!
My favorite is a MIJ paisley Tele and then a USA Tele.
Own but never play Gibson Les Paul.
Occasionally play my 1987 Strat Plus, when doing SRV covers.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:27 PM

I've owned/ own the big 4 ( Telecaster, Stratocaster, Les Paul and SG ) and for me it's almost always my Telecaster that gets the lion's share of the playing time. Hth.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-19-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by posternutbag View Post
Fender Squier Classic Vibe 50s' Telecaster or Fender Squier Classic Vibe 50s' Stratocaster, depending on whether you like strats or teles. Done.

Just be aware that while the Classic Vibe line offers an incredible amount of guitar for not much money (under $400 new), there are some compromises, particularly on the hardware. For instance, on the strat, the trem is pretty much decoration. If you lay into it hard, you will massively pull the guitar out of tune. Really, the trem on a strat isn't particularly usable until you get up to the Fender American Std/Pro level. But that is OK, because most people don't use it anyway.
Do what this guy is advising....Get the Fender Squier Classic Vibe 50s' Strat, maple neck. You'll be able to get into an electric guitar for under 400 dollars and have a nice playing one. Have it set up professionally and play away. Sold mine. Wish I still had it even though I have the new professional model.

Last edited by Guildman; 02-19-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:02 PM

What differences should be expected for a Fender American Standard vs. a made in Mexico or other cheaper version?

I'm somewhat familiar with Martin US acoustics vs. MIM but seems apples and oranges as they don't make many (if any) even standard series models at a certain level/price point in Mexico. Gibson/Epiphone acoustics might be a little more similar, as the Epiphone line makes guitars copied from the iconic Gibson acoustic models. But even that is a much bigger price difference compared to the price difference in Fenders Teles/Strats so not really applicable.

I'll be selling an acoustic for a lot more than the retail price of a new Fender American Standard. Not going to spend it all on electric guitar and related gear and all for saving a few hundred $, but also don't want to go too cheap if there's a difference that will be noticeable at some point even if not right away.

Also, any thoughts on small practice/home use amp? I just bought a Yamaha THR10C that I like a lot even for acoustics and has lots of positive reviews for electrics that it's more geared for so not desperate to get rid of it. But it's within return period so soon would be the best time. I realize there's tons of better more expensive amps on the market, but seems like a lot of even relatively small tube amps might not be the best option for home use (low volume). I already have good headphone gear if that would make a difference.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:25 PM

I would like to echo what a few here have already recommended, namely a Tele. I picked up a used Squier Classic Vibe Custom for $300 Canadian and paired it with an inexpensive Fender Mustang amp for less than another $300 so you don't need to break the bank. The thing about a Tele is that it is simplicity itself-it rewards your skill without overwhelming you with fancy effects.Yet it can produce sounds from varied genres; from Country twang to smooth jazz( Lefty Frissell and Ed Bickert.)Very good value!
Old 02-20-2017, 08:09 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenaines View Post
What differences should be expected for a Fender American Standard vs. a made in Mexico or other cheaper version?
I ended up with a new G&L ASAT Special (USA version), but I considered Fender Teles during the hunt (love the simplicity and form factor). I perceived, and others confirmed, that the MIM pickups are different from the USA pickups, and they didn't sound as good, to me. I didn't go MIM Fender because I knew I'd spend another $200-$300 for the decent pickups, and then I'd be getting close to a USA Tele price (usually $1,100 or so, new), which offered more refined fit/finish than the MIM. I also wanted made in USA for my hobby stuff, so that was a factor. Likely without basis, I concluded the typical Tele pickup sound (USA) might be too restricting, and I preferred the potentially broader range afforded by that G&L's jumbo MFD pickups. I'll probably get a USA Tele down the road, but this is what I did out of the gate (after I bought a '93 LP Studio to satisfy the humbucker requirement).

Incidentally, there's a nice looking USA Tele for sale now in the AGF Classifieds for $750 or so. In your place, I'd be all over that (no association). I don't need "new," just "in good shape," and that one looks great.

Last edited by ChrisN; 02-20-2017 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
...any thoughts on small practice/home use amp...seems like a lot of even relatively small tube amps might not be the best option for home use (low volume). I already have good headphone gear if that would make a difference.
Bugera V5 - $199 street at any of the big-box stores (on coupon days you can get it down into the $150-160 range, so there's no need to sell your Yamaha if that works for acoustic), single-ended class-A 5/1/0.1W, headphone out, built-in digi-verb, and enough clean headroom to actually be useful as a home-recording/practice pedal platform (unlike nearly all of its pricier competitors); load a couple good tubes into it and you'll have a lifetime keeper...
Old 02-21-2017, 10:23 AM

Default Ibanez Artcore might do the trick

I was just in the same position, buying my first electric. I played 20 or 30 different guitars at GC and Sam Ash, plugging in my headphones. I was quickly drawn to the semi hollow bodies, and that took me to the Ibanez Artcore series. I found an AF 75 on Craigslist for $250, 4 months old, and I fell in love with it and the Carvin AG100 amp the guy sold for $75 more. Together they sound great. I also bid on an Ibanez Artcore Af93, it sold for $290. I liked the Squier Classic Vibes as well, but I definitely liked the semi hollow bodies better.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:

Also, any thoughts on small practice/home use amp? I just bought a Yamaha THR10C that I like a lot even for acoustics and has lots of positive reviews for electrics that it's more geared for so not desperate to get rid of it. But it's within return period so soon would be the best time. I realize there's tons of better more expensive amps on the market, but seems like a lot of even relatively small tube amps might not be the best option for home use (low volume). I already have good headphone gear if that would make a difference.
Pickup vary between models. Particularly with Tele bridge pickup I'm a nut nutty about the differences myself. Some Tele bridge pickups can be a bit to thin and bright, some don't quite have the Tele snarl, and even occasionally I'll hear one that doesn't have the zing. I have not found this to be predictable based on country of origin. I have Squiers (low end, Far East made) with what I believe are their stock bridge pickups that are fine and an MIJ Tele that came with a USA Made pickup I swapped out. If can solder, Tele pickup swaps are easy.

Bridge design differ and impact the sound with cleaner amps more than anything else that isn't electric. Many (I'm one) think that "Leo got it right the first time" with the 3 saddle brass barrel bridge. Fender makes models with this bridge for all sources--and other designs too, again from all sources. In my experience the MIM models that come with other designs can be fitted with a classic vintage Telecaster bridge and brass barrel saddles (standard Fender American 52 RI parts, available separately) with a screwdriver. Yes, you have to setup the intonation and action height position of the saddles, but if you experiment with strings you're going to need to do that anyway.

The other difference is necks. Again, factory location will not absolutely determine this, but many inexpensive Telecasters tend to be narrower in the nut and thinner in neck profile than I like. "Vintage" Fender necks have a smaller radius (more convex fretboards) than any other instruments, particularly acoustics. This is traditional and some folks like it when bar chording, but it can play havoc with capos (Shubb sells a capo for this radius, but you have to dedicate a capo), and it can "choke" off strings against frets with string bending with lower actions. Designs with moderate (9.5") radius are available and I believe Fender may even have some with compound radius fretboards with flatten out up the neck. And then like a thicker neck myself, and neck thickness and the shape of the carve on the back of the neck varies, again without regard to where it's made. My two favorite (thicker) Tele necks are on a Squire Custom P90 equipped Tele and on a 90s USA Tele. Frets size differs too. And there the maple vs. rosewood issue (I don't think it impacts sound, but like a feel of non-varnished fretboard.)

In summary: Telecasters differ in significant ways that are greater than the differences between country of origin. More expensive and closer to Southern California factory Telecasters may have better, more durable electronics (every electric part on a Telecaster can be replaced with top notch stuff for less than $100). There may be better quality control (fewer "lemons"). Fret and fingerboard edge finishing may be better. But sound and overall playability are not determined by where it's made.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 02-21-2017, 03:14 PM

Cool Go For What Pleases You

Quote:
I have a couple of nice acoustics, including higher end Gibsons and Martins. Thinking about first electric. A few considerations:

Thanks!
Depends on where your head is at aesthetically .

If it's just good time Rock-N-Anythang go to a music store and play what they have on a similar amp you have or like .

If your inclined to get cosmic - - - -

Midi synth guitars are available and there are different ones nowadays that are great .

I ave a Godin LGXSA with a Roland GR33 guitar synth module I love it .

There is the Fishman Triple Play and Livid

Have a ball figuring it out .

EZ :

HR

Life has always been interesting to me

Old 02-22-2017, 08:53 AM

As another beginner I just yesterday scored a Mexican Standard Telecaster for $375.. it's a 2016 model that looks like it got setup and never used again.

My teacher is a Telecaster nut, I don't know how many telecasters he has but it often seems like he has a different one each time I see him.

To my uneducated ear I couldn't really tell much difference between the one he had yesterday and mine. He had one of the 50s Vintage reissue ones yesterday with a 3-piece 50s style compensated bridge and I think he said it had whatever pickups are stock in those. The Mexican one was noticeably heavier than his. Same neck setup but different wood seems to explain that. In terms of sound he seems capable of getting a really different sound just through technique, a larger variation then the two guitars. He didn't find anything he wrong with mine in terms of setup, etc.. it is in better shape in terms of setup, frets, etc.. then my Alvarez acoustic was when I got it.

The store I bought mine from had about 10 Telecasters on the rack all well setup, I tried several American ones that were still > $1000 used and for my skill level they didn't offer anything over the Mexican ones.

The neck and string spacing is really different than my Acoustic, that's going to be the biggest issue. I think the Tele I bought has the original factory strings, the shop sold me a bit heavier strings to split the difference between stock and what I'm used to on my acoustic. We'll see how that affects the sound/feel although I'm not sure I need to change the strings on the Telecaster right away, they are pretty clean.

The biggest thing that gave me concern about the Mexican telecasters vs American is the Mexican ones have/had a truss rod that could only bend the neck one direction? I can't really tell if that is all years or just some years, and I also saw some recent reports that newer Mexican Telecasters have necks made in the US anyway, so real hard to tell. But when Acoustics in this price range always seem to have 2-way truss rods it did make me wonder. Maybe the 1 way truss rod is no big deal on a guitar with a bolt on neck.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Perhaps I can help. I wrote up a beginner's guide to electric guitars that is on my site, HERE. See if that gives you any ideas. There's also a quick comparison, HERE.

Bob
Thanks, this and all the other info is very helpful. Obviously I'll have to get out and try different guitars, but knowledge is always helpful.

Where does the Gibson SG fit into this spectrum? I realize one of the most well-knownt players is Angus Young and I gave AC/DC as an example of the opposite tone I'm inclined towards, but these have also been played by more melodic players (a lot of my favorite Jerry Garcia playing came from an SG or others before his famous customs; Allman brothers/Derek Trucks). Also recognizing iconic players can get certain tones out of all sorts of guitars and have far different rigs, though Derek Trucks is light on effects.

Additionally, I've read that the Fender Thinline Tele produces a 'rich and vibrant sound unplugged.' I'm actually trying to avoid too much unplugged volume, is this (or other semi-hollow) unplugged volume still much less than say a Martin dread lightly played with a pick?

Lastly, I realize that most standard Fenders are more susceptible to feedback and EMI compared to a Les Paul with humbeckers. Is this only a concern on stage, or are Fedners also prone to hum at home from dimmer lights, wifi etc.?
Old 02-22-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Thanks, this and all the other info is very helpful. Obviously I'll have to get out and try different guitars, but knowledge is always helpful.

Where does the Gibson SG fit into this spectrum? I realize one of the most well-knownt players is Angus Young and I gave AC/DC as an example of the opposite tone I'm inclined towards, but these have also been played by more melodic players (a lot of my favorite Jerry Garcia playing came from an SG or others before his famous customs; Allman brothers/Derek Trucks). Also recognizing iconic players can get certain tones out of all sorts of guitars and have far different rigs, though Derek Trucks is light on effects.

Additionally, I've read that the Fender Thinline Tele produces a 'rich and vibrant sound unplugged.' I'm actually trying to avoid too much unplugged volume, is this (or other semi-hollow) unplugged volume still much less than say a Martin dread lightly played with a pick?

Lastly, I realize that most standard Fenders are more susceptible to feedback and EMI compared to a Les Paul with humbeckers. Is this only a concern on stage, or are Fedners also prone to hum at home from dimmer lights, wifi etc.?
The SG can be a fine guitar. I have one and it's getting more playing time lately. The one knock against them is that they tend to suffer from neck dive when played with strap standing up. Many/most have traditional Gibson-sized humbucker pickups, and the pickups contribute the most to the sound of an electric guitar, so different than a Tele. Some SGs have a wider single coil pickup set (P90) and though of course the connoisseurs will say "not the same" a P90 and a Tele bridge pickup have a timbral relationship.

A thinline Tele (semi-hollow body made by routing out wood from the back and then capping it with a hardwood back is not necessarily a very loud guitar unplugged. In fact I have solid body Teles and a Les Paul copy that easily drown out my thinline Tele unplugged. Thinlines can be very light bodies (mine is) and those that are suffer therefore from the neck dive on a strap like an SG. In either case, a wider suede strap will let you strike the rock star pose of clapping over your head while the guitar headstock stays off the stage floor (grin).

The worst plywood dreadnaught is louder when strummed than any of the popular electric guitar models (true hollow bodies excluded). I sometimes try out chord changes, unplugged, on a Tele I keep next to my computer. It's loud enough I can hear it, and that's about it.

No, Fenders and Telecasters are not more prone to feedback than guitar with humbuckers. With enough gain and position to the speakers anything will feedback, and full hollowbody guitars (many Gretschs and Epi Casinos for example) are the ones that you have to worry more about feedback with. Of course if you're trying to sound the first two Velvet Underground records or the lead-in to the Beatles "I Feel Fine" this is a feature not a bug. However single coils can pickup more electrical interference, the problem that humbucker pickups were designed to combat. There have also been many Fender guitar pickup designs (often labeled "noiseless") that mitigate this. This is not a huge home guitar player problem in my experience--and you can have hum/crackle/radio station noise in an electric guitar signal even with a humbucker guitar because the noise can get in elsewhere in the chain. Most guitars with more than one single coil pickup are wired so that they "buck the hum" from the pickups when the pickup selector is moved to use two pickups instead of one, something to remember if you're ever called to gig under a badly grounded flashing neon sign in some roadhouse.

Single coils sound different that humbuckers. More than enough people like that sound so that humbuckers didn't take over the world when they were invented.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars