The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-16-2017, 08:50 PM

Default Self-Conscious Repost - Find Me

Ok, I'll throw caution to the wind. This is David Gates' "Find Me". Due to medical issues not too long ago, and subsequent blood pressure meds and other meds, I am trying to get my voice back in shape. But, here goes....

Find Me

Last edited by Rick Shepherd; 02-18-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

Rick,

Good for you for having the courage to go for it!

I'll tell you one thing -- you are one good guitar player. Every time I hear your stuff I think the same thing. You have a great feel for the guitar.

And you did a good job on the singing on a hard song. Good for you!

Thanks for posting your song!

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 02-17-2017 at 12:07 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:44 AM

i guess my instincts were correct then, I should not have posted this.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:48 AM

Hi Rick,

Cannot see the link to your latest track, guess you have removed it.

Still, I listened to some of your stuff on your website. You are a wonderful guitar player and I really like your voice. I hope you are in very good health now and we get to hear much more of your music.

Regards

David
Old 02-17-2017, 09:48 AM
Guest 33123

I thought it was great the first time around.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
i guess my instincts were correct then, I should not have posted this.
Rick,

I'm sorry you removed the song. I thought you sang well.

- Glenn
Old 02-17-2017, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Rick,

I'm sorry you removed the song. I thought you sang well.

- Glenn
Me too, Rick. Sorry I didn't comment earlier, but I enjoyed it. And the stuff on your website as well. Hope you are back in the swing real soon.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:04 AM

I just listened to some of the selections from your website. Don't ever hesitate to post your music. You do a great job!

Rb
Old 02-18-2017, 11:32 AM

Rats. Hate I missed it. Rick is a perfectionist. He's also a great player and singer and I also nominate him for Most Beautiful Sound System of All Time.

Rick, hope you get back to full speed very soon. I'm kinda having to pull up from below myself so I can commiserate somewhat.

I'll be watching for the repost of the repost. I'm sure the last 2 were just fine.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:27 PM

I appreciate the kind comments. Things became difficult with health issues and meds, but I'll keep trying. I wish I had better tone in my voice. Ya, you are right, maybe too hard on myself. I reinserted the link. Singing has never really come natural for me, and to me it sounds kinda sterile and emotionally inhibited if that makes sense. Since I'm on the subject, I try not to make excuses about health issues, but I suffered a few heart attacks and 4 stents in the recent past, but was still able to do a summer outdoor gig. Things went well. But since then, I have had a difficult time. Ok, that is all.

Last edited by Rick Shepherd; 02-18-2017 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:23 PM

I listened to some of your tracks. You are a very good guitar player. A good sound. Regarding your OP of "Find Me," since I'm not one to soft soap anything, I'll say your voice sounded weak, but given your recent health issues that is understandable. Despite that, I liked the sound of your voice more than many other singers I've heard who have not gone through the medical issues you have. I've played guitar for over 50 years, taken formal lessons for over a decade and a half and over 6 months of vocal lessons. It is my absolute view that the human voice is the most difficult musical instrument to master. Having had formal voice lessons I can fully understand and appreciate how your health issues would effect your singing. I can only imagine the quality of your voice at 100%. Keep playing and singing and posting. I hope and pray (I'll probably get censored for using that word) you'll be able to get back to full speed soon.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailpicker View Post
I listened to some of your tracks. You are a very good guitar player. A good sound. Regarding your OP of "Find Me," since I'm not one to soft soap anything, I'll say your voice sounded weak, but given your recent health issues that is understandable. Despite that, I liked the sound of your voice more than many other singers I've heard who have not gone through the medical issues you have. I've played guitar for over 50 years, taken formal lessons for over a decade and a half and over 6 months of vocal lessons. It is my absolute view that the human voice is the most difficult musical instrument to master. Having had formal voice lessons I can fully understand and appreciate how your health issues would effect your singing. I can only imagine the quality of your voice at 100%. Keep playing and singing and posting. I hope and pray (I'll probably get censored for using that word) you'll be able to get back to full speed soon.
Thanks for the response!. I guess no matter what the situation is, I still enjoy the recording processand try to improve through time. As I age, coming to terms with these changes can be difficult.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the response!. I guess no matter what the situation is, I still enjoy the recording processand try to improve through time. As I age, coming to terms with these changes can be difficult.
Dealing with age is difficult and a challenge. Sometimes we have to make adjustments, sometimes we have to relearn how to do things we thought we already had down. Keep trying; you never know where you can get to with renewed effort.

I'm glad that Nailpicker gave you a little pep talk.

- Glenn
Old 02-19-2017, 02:50 PM

Given what you described of your procedures, I think it is safe to say that you are learning to sing in a new body. Stick with it! Your guitar playing is great, so you obviously appreciate how much repetition and refinement it takes to be good at an expressive endeavor. The voice is harder, and you are essentially starting over. I think you are sounding good at this stage, and I know you will get better with more practice and development. And, like playing guitar, it is sometimes hard to be satisfied, even when you are sounding great to everyone else.

I know a great voice teacher who does lessons over the Internet. She can get meaningful results after a handful (maybe a dozen) lessons. She might be able to help you get you to where you want to be. PM me if you want her name and number.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
... As I age, coming to terms with these changes can be difficult.
You've got that right! True for all of us. As a dear older friend of mine has pointed out more than once, "aging ain't for the timid." But in terms of muscianship, as people age, so often I've heard people play their instruments, including voice, perhaps less powerfully or boldly, with less panache, but with more understanding, more humility and love and feeling and tasteful interpretation and elegance...and, I think if we're smart enough, with grateful appreciation of what music has brought us during our lives.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell