The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-14-2017, 10:41 AM

Default Flamenco/Classical hybrid for around £500

Are these types of guitars even a thing? Genres played would be mostly traditional flamenco/rumba with some classical pieces.

Would it be possible to get one made from all solid wood at this price point? I wouldn't mind going second hand.

Cheers.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

The Cordoba GK Pro in used or B-stock condition fits your criteria in my very experienced opinion. I use my negra and blanca models for flamenco, classical, smooth jazz, and other styles. I've owned a lot of different nylon string guitars (including 11 Cordoba instruments alone) and the GK Pros are by far my favorites. I could not be happier with them. In fact, Cordoba just sent me a free t-shirt and golpeador. I asked for the latter because the newer GK Pros don't come stock with a golp anymore. I've been using a tablet screen protector for that function, but I'll throw the Cordoba golp on there the next time I change strings.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
The Cordoba GK Pro in used or B-stock condition fits your criteria in my very experienced opinion. I use my negra and blanca models for flamenco, classical, smooth jazz, and other styles. I've owned a lot of different nylon string guitars (including 11 Cordoba instruments alone) and the GK Pros are by far my favorites. I could not be happier with them. In fact, Cordoba just sent me a free t-shirt and golpeador. I asked for the latter because the newer GK Pros don't come stock with a golp anymore. I've been using a tablet screen protector for that function, but I'll throw the Cordoba golp on there the next time I change strings.
Thank you for the reply. I was actually looking into the GK Pro just then so nice to know i'm on the right lines. I'll definitely look into trying to get hold of a used one.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:51 PM

Shop here.

http://www.guitarfromspain.com/en/

Lots of information. Wide selection. Even if you don't buy from them you can get a good idea what is available and what you can look for.

hunter
Old 02-14-2017, 04:25 PM

I also use my flamenco (Cordoba Solista Flamenca) for playing classical music and it works quite well. Usually a bit less dynamics available since really digging into a flamenco guitar can produce unwanted fret sounds (from a classical perspective, totally desired for flamenco). Also a bit less sustain (especially on a blanca) so that might impact the performance of some pieces.

I know some luthiers also make a "hybrid" models if requested, but not in your price range.

I suspect if you started with a flamenco negra model and possibly raised the action (if you found it was too low for classical) you would be in the ballpark of what you wanted.

Later
Rob
Old 02-14-2017, 04:46 PM

I also use my flamenco (Cordoba Solista Flamenca) for playing classical music and it works quite well. Usually a bit less dynamics available since really digging into a flamenco guitar can produce unwanted fret sounds (from a classical perspective, totally desired for flamenco). Also a bit less sustain (especially on a blanca) so that might impact the performance of some pieces.

I suspect if you started with a flamenco negra model and possibly raised the action (if you found it was too low for classical) you would be in the ballpark of what you wanted.

Later
Rob
Old 02-15-2017, 04:31 AM

Thank you for the replies. It seems pretty unlikely that i'm going to find a GK pro around my budget at B stock or used in the UK so I guess i'll be looking at other options. The GK Studio, despite the obvious differences to the GK Pro seems OK. Anybody have experience with that particular model?
Old 02-15-2017, 06:50 AM

I used to own a GK Studio Cypress. It was really NICE guitar. My only complaint was with the built in tuner, it just wasn't steady.

The only reason I sold my GK Studio was to buy a GK Pro Negra. I wanted the warmer sound from the rosewood sides and back that the Studio Cypress didn't have.

Hope that helps

Dave
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 02-15-2017, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wodgy View Post
Thank you for the replies. It seems pretty unlikely that i'm going to find a GK pro around my budget at B stock or used in the UK so I guess i'll be looking at other options. The GK Studio, despite the obvious differences to the GK Pro seems OK. Anybody have experience with that particular model?
My very first Cordoba was a GK Studio blanca (cypress) and it impressed me enough to turn me into a Cordoba devotee. So yes... I think you'd like them. The negra (rosewood) or Ltd (ziricote) model may work better for your needs than the blanca. But I think that all of them would do well.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:20 AM

OP are you mainly interested in acoustic sound or amplified sound?

hunter
Old 02-15-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
OP are you mainly interested in acoustic sound or amplified sound?

hunter
Definitely acoustic sound would be the priority.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:10 PM

If you can forego electronics:

Prudencio Saez 24 - Spruce over solid rosewood. Flamenco negra voicing and setup.

Alhambra 5FP - Spruce over laminated rosewood. Flamenco negra voicing and setup

Both are mid to high 500 euro range. No cutaway no electronics. In the UK you might have a shot at finding one of these or even finding a Spanish seller that will ship to you. You can add Fishman electronics to either but, obviously, that pushes the price up.

I suggest rosewood because it will add a certain amount of warmth and will fatten up the sound which will work for your classical pieces while the flamenco setup and voicing still works with the rest of your repertoire.

Being built in Mexico, they are a little harder to find in the UK I am thinking and a more money, but a Francisco Navarro student model flamenco negra can sound very good. They do show up on ebay but make sure you are getting the right Paracho made Navarro since there are some Asian pretenders out there. Amazon has them too but I think you can do a little better on price. The student models now come under the name of his son who builds them in the family shop and right off the top of my head I don't recall his name. The negras are solid palo escrito which shares a fair amount of the Indian rosewood character. Again acoustic only.

hunter
Old 02-15-2017, 05:42 PM

Wow, I'm pretty satisfied with my GK pro without the golp. No dents or nicks in 2+ years of playing. I didn't like the clear ones they put on the GK Studio's.

I've been bugging Cordoba to restock their sweatshirts... LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 02-16-2017, 10:42 AM

You should be able to get a real nice used Cordoba C9 or C10 in the UK for close to your price point. I really love my Cordoba C9 Crossover. These are Cordoba Luthier Series all solid wood guitars If you are patient you should be able to score a good deal on one.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
If you can forego electronics:

Prudencio Saez 24 - Spruce over solid rosewood. Flamenco negra voicing and setup.

Alhambra 5FP - Spruce over laminated rosewood. Flamenco negra voicing and setup

Both are mid to high 500 euro range. No cutaway no electronics. In the UK you might have a shot at finding one of these or even finding a Spanish seller that will ship to you. You can add Fishman electronics to either but, obviously, that pushes the price up.

I suggest rosewood because it will add a certain amount of warmth and will fatten up the sound which will work for your classical pieces while the flamenco setup and voicing still works with the rest of your repertoire.

Being built in Mexico, they are a little harder to find in the UK I am thinking and a more money, but a Francisco Navarro student model flamenco negra can sound very good. They do show up on ebay but make sure you are getting the right Paracho made Navarro since there are some Asian pretenders out there. Amazon has them too but I think you can do a little better on price. The student models now come under the name of his son who builds them in the family shop and right off the top of my head I don't recall his name. The negras are solid palo escrito which shares a fair amount of the Indian rosewood character. Again acoustic only.

hunter
Wow. Thank you for the information. That's really handy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical