The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-12-2017, 11:11 AM

Default Just how do you strum triads on strings

that aren't adjacent to each other. Like, I'm kinda ok strumming chords if, for example, the notes are on the 6th/5th and 4th strings or maybe the 3rd/2nd and 1st strings...I use the heel of my thumb or outside of the palm of my strumming hand too mute the other three strings. But how do you strum a triad with notes on strings 6, 3 and 2 without strings 5, 4 and 1 sounding?
Old 02-12-2017, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

When the notes are separated, it gets tricky... you either have to mute the string in the middle, or (if the chord/key permits) go ahead and strum the one in the middle, but focus on the the notes you want to ring out predominately.

This is one of the many reasons I adopted a style years ago, wherein I hold the flat pick and use the other fingers to grab fingerpick or to grab clusters of notes simultaneously, without sounding those ones int the middle!

Having control on your flat pick is a HUGE aspect of playing; you can learn how to strum all the strings, but have only the ones you want ring out strongly... takes practise and a good sense of dynamics. Keep after it and you'll get there!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 02-12-2017, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

Why would you want to do that? Link to a video where a pro is doing that.

Anyway you could mute the fifth string with the fretting hand or you could strum with you finger(s) and thumb with a space between the finger(s) and thumb (which is rather awkward and I would much prefer to block pick the chord).

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-12-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankieabbott View Post
that aren't adjacent to each other. Like, I'm kinda ok strumming chords if, for example, the notes are on the 6th/5th and 4th strings or maybe the 3rd/2nd and 1st strings...I use the heel of my thumb or outside of the palm of my strumming hand too mute the other three strings. But how do you strum a triad with notes on strings 6, 3 and 2 without strings 5, 4 and 1 sounding?
I wouldn't strum, I'd fingerpick. Thumb and 2 fingers.
It is quite possible to strum strings 6-3-2 and mute the others (with some careful positioning of the fretting fingers), but fingerpicking is much easier and more reliable.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

You might try forming triads on adjacent strings and doing a short strum.

Example: the shape of a chord you know as a D is a triad . Root on the 2 string, 3rd on the 1 string and 5th on the 3 string .

It takes some practice to just hit the three strings for a short strum but it is doable. I do it all the time.

There are inversions of triads in the 2,3 + 4 strings as well for more ways to strum a triad.

Note: the short strum doesn't work well for an entire song, not usually, but it adds nice variety in an arrangement and has a role to play during improv solos as well.

Hope that helps. Here is a link to my moveable chord cheat sheet that you might find helpful to further explore my example .
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fiome6imch...sWref.pdf?dl=0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 02-13-2017, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
You "kill" the unwanted strings, by letting your fingers touch them but not fret them, standard procedure for jazz players.

This is why thinner necks were developed and became popular.

Check out some"how to play jazz chords" vids on Youtube.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:57 PM

I assume you are speaking of three notes you want to play in quick succession when you call it strumming, but I would not call that strumming. I'd call that an arpeggio. I'd play them in succession with the three fingers I'd normally use. Or, you play them as a sort of delayed or straight triple stop, which can be heard as a strummed chord using only the three notes.

Last edited by Pitar; 02-16-2017 at 07:58 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write