The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-24-2016, 08:25 AM

This barre chord journey is one we all struggle with.....you are doing the right thing by just diving in and pressing on.

My challenge with the barre chords - all of them - is not in getting them to sound good. I can play them pretty well. My challenge is changing to them quickly enough that there is no stop or hitch in the song. I just cannot get my fingers into position quickly and efficiently, so that's what I'm working on.

But you are correct - once it starts to feel normal you will be able to play this barre chord plus others up and down the neck. Stay at it.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 11-24-2016, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey View Post
I'll give that a whirl, thanks. Would you play the other positions of that shape the same or just in that tough spot?
Yeah wherever - see :

Old 11-24-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC5C View Post
I read this thread, then I grabbed my guitar and tried the thumb wrap thing. What I found is that it locks up my hand so that I can't do much with the other fingers.
Brian...

You try it once and give up???

Just kidding a bit.

The thing about solutions is that they are very situational. Many chord forms/fingerings will work or not depending on where you're coming from and what you're going to. I seldom use full barre chords because they're too thick and contain redundant tones in octaves. I'll use a barre (full or partial) or a thumb-wrap as needs must. Obviously it's good to have options and be able to do both.

For the wrapped version I use 1x321x. This gives a strong tonic bass. I'll also use 5x356x to get the third in the bass and the tonic on top. Occasionally it makes sense to use the fifth on the bottom x3321x.

I think there's an over-emphasis on playing all 6 strings. It's really not necessary in a lot of cases. You're looking for a full sound, but uncluttered. Musically speaking you need four tones at most to define the desired voicing, five if it's a weird chord or needs a fifth tone to force movement.

If you think four notes aren't enough, listen to a good ukelele player.

https://youtu.be/u3_7c2wwh7I

Theory is the post mortem of Music.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write